Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 04:02 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there have been so many great comments in this thread over the last couple of hours, I could not possibly respond to them all, but to say the least the "brochure" in question obviously has incomplete specs and even some errors. All will be revealed soon though!

I am a bit baffled by the apparent lack of 12 bit RAW also, but Pentax continues to offer special goodies like DNG encoding and in-body SR that the other guys don't, so I think a few minor omissions can be forgiven (I would have liked dual slots too - not just for the storage capacity, 8 fps, and a 100% 1.0x viewfinder would have been nice too, but all that stuff is just icing - all the important improvements are sure to be there)

Only a few hours to go!!

09-19-2010, 04:05 AM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe I wil buy K-7 in several months. The last camera with beatiful picture from CMOS sensor.
Wow, that's pretty pessimistic. I sure hope you are wrong.
09-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Very exciting times
I'm going to shoot some birds.
Hopefully when I get back the "real" official announcement will be made
Isn't it still another 27 hours?
09-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
I am a bit baffled by the apparent lack of 12 bit RAW
The spec sheet also does not mention PEF, which I think would be a given.

09-19-2010, 04:24 AM   #140
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
The spec sheet also does not mention PEF, which I think would be a given.
Do you mean with burst or in general? Because in the general specs it definitely does (Dateiformaten: RAW (PEF, DNG).)
09-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a few months ago (prior to the K-x), Pentax was lagging behind the competition in high iso performance. The K-x changed that, and even DPR accepted that better iso performance can only be gained with a FF sensor.

Hopefully Pentax can do that with their AF module as well, which I am extremely confident will not be the case this time. (I know, even the specs. are not out yet, let alone testing).

The K-5 will surely have amazing iso performance (possibly best in class), but it is rather frustrating to see AF not getting a complete revamp. I was hoping the buffer would be much larger. I very much like iso 80 and 14 Bit RAW and if the IQ at 14 Bit iso 80 is much better than the K-7 (iso 100 12 bit of course), then I will get one, otherwise I am very happy with the K-7.

Pentax really needs to improve their AF tracking to be in par with competition, as this is just getting tiresome.
09-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Do you mean with burst or in general? Because in the general specs it definitely does (Dateiformaten: RAW (PEF, DNG).)
Oh, you're right indeed. I missed that.

09-19-2010, 04:37 AM   #143
Pentaxian

For whoever speaks german, what does this mean:

"100% Prismensucher mit 4 unterschiedlichen Einstellscheiben"
"100% prism viewfinder with 4 different focusing screens".

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Also, the slogan Absolut unempfindlich mit hohem Empfindlichkeitsbereich is the kind of humor Pentax Hamburg is known for
What's that mean?
"Completely insensitive to high sensitivity range". Quite weird, Falconeye told you.

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-19-2010 at 04:52 AM.
09-19-2010, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #144
Veteran Member

It appears Pentax got lazy and photoshopped old K-7 photos to look like K-5 photos. I would call bullshit, but the same bad photoshop also appeared on a ad on a taxi, so who knows.

Compare the following pictures that leaked today, and the ones that came out of the K-7 presskit. The mode-button is different, but all the other buttons are in the same setting, and all the shadows and highlights are the same.

09-19-2010, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #145

Original Poster
Google vertaling van het Duits in het Engels
Google translate from German to English

Completely insensitive to
high sensitivity range

• 16.3 MP CMOS sensor with 23.6 x 15.7 mm with good noise performance with high dynamic range and dynamic range correction
    better drawing in highlights and shadows
  • Sensitivity range from ISO 80 - ISO 51 200 with enough Scope for difficult lighting conditions
  • New AF module SAFOX IX + for improved focus
  • Burst speed up to 7 B / sec. through new processor and faster AF
  • 77-segment metering, switchable to spot or center-weighted
  • Sensor cleaning by ultrasonic and piezo electronics with dust alarm and Pixel Mapping
  • Rugged magnesium-aluminum housing with stainless steel chassis
  • Cold resistant to -10 ° C
  • Weather resistant with 77 seals in the housing 43 and seals on the battery grip
  • Scratch resistant 3 "wide monitor with an option for Farbfeintuning
  • 100% viewfinder with four different focusing screens
  • Real-Time Live View with contrast AF and face detection - with four different configuration screen
  • Full HD video B 1920 x 1080 at 25 fps. with stereo sound
  • Electronic 3D Nivelieranzeige
  • Sensor Shift for individual fine adjustment of the sensor location
  • Automatic correction of lens aberrations
  • 16 digital filters with over 135 options for creative image results
  • HDR in various stages of automatic and automatic Image orientation
09-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #146
Col
Veteran Member

The AF switch is definitely different.

Electronic 3D Nivelieranzeige 3D Electronic Level.
09-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #147

think your seeing things - those are clearly different photos - different things on the top lcd screen and different lighting /paint job on the flash hotshoe
09-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #148
Veteran Member

It appears Pentax got lazy and photoshopped old K-7 photos to look like K-5 photos. I would call bullshit, but the same bad photoshop also appeared on a ad on a taxi, so who knows.

Compare the following pictures that leaked today, and the ones that came out of the K-7 presskit. The mode-button is different, but all the other buttons are in the same setting, and all the shadows and highlights are the same.
I guess you're suggesting that the K-5 pamphlet used a photoshopped image of a K-7, the same one that is up on dpreview?

Which clearly isn't the case. They're very similar, but that would be because they're basically the same body. But there are subtle differences in the two pics that suggest, at the very least, the K-5 shot is *not* a photoshopped version of the K-7 shot.

E.g, with the top views, look at the gap in front of the popup flash unit--much wider on the K-5. Look at the amount of metal of the strap lug sticking out on the K-7 (right next to the "K-7" logo). On the K-5 it's not sticking out as much. These two points suggest that the K-5 image was taken ever so slightly from a different angle than the K-7 shot.

Also, reflected light around the AE-L button and the front dial is different (more reflecting off the K-5 than K-7).
09-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #149
Veteran Member

I'm not totally convinced, the wider gap could stem from downsizing and then enlarging the K-5 photo (same for the strap lug). And, indeed, the light is slightly different on some places, but entirely the same in other places. Whenever the light is different, it could have easily been through Photoshop. How could you make almost exact the same photo a year apart? I'm not buying it.
09-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #150
Forum Member

Well, that's looking like a Sony CMOS, so the K-5 >> K-7 just as Sony >> Samsung in the CMOS market. The other specs look great too! The only question I have is "why iso80, not 64 or 50?". As a future D7000 user (a camera that will likely use very similar CMOS), it concerns me that perhaps this sensor doesn't have the overexposure latitude that the old D90 has (1 stop w/out channel clipping). I hope this was just a conservative move by Pentax and not indicative of sensor limitations.
Closed Thread