Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #181
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D7000 buffer
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 11 shots
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit - 10 shots

I'd like to believe that K-5 has the same or bigger buffer.

09-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
D7000 buffer
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit - 11 shots
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit - 10 shots

I'd like to believe that K-5 has the same or bigger buffer.
The D7000 can only do 6fps. If you set the K-5 to 6fps instead of 7, it'll do ~9 shots per burst, which is as-near-as-makes-no-difference with what the D7000 can do.
09-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #183
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
The D7000 can only do 6fps. If you set the K-5 to 6fps instead of 7, it'll do ~9 shots per burst, which is as-near-as-makes-no-difference with what the D7000 can do.

K20D has 16-17 RAW @2.9 fps.
K-7 has 15 RAW @5.2 fps or 19 RAW @3.3 fps.
K-r has 12 RAW @6 fps or 36 RAW @2 fps.

Isn't it strange if K-5 has only 8 RAW.

14-bit is real marketing. no essential difference with 12-bit. IMO.
Is it real if K-5 has no 12-bit mode?

Last edited by ogl; 09-19-2010 at 07:31 AM.
09-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
But I thought your crystal ball was SMC-coated!
That's true it is, but no micro focus adjust, and it has focusing problems in very low info situations.

NaCl( MY crystal ball has severe de centering problems)H2O

09-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #185
Veteran Member

No matter the exact final spec, the K-5 looks set to be the leading APS-C camera. Call me glass-half-full, but the lack of AF points is trivial compared to its benefits.

I just hope Hoya can profitably sell it at D7000 prices, because that's what they need to do to fight the Canikon higher public perception (forget the 60D, it's a toy in comparison and Canon will need to reduce the price by $100-$200 pronto).

I will give the K-5 an advance BRAVO!
09-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just what I said yesterday from a quote from a review... "Pentax K-r doesn't really offer any new 'killer features' but nevertheless comes with a few new functionalities"
Just change it to K-5.....
Come-on PENTAX.............. Why didn't you just call it a K-7 Super?
09-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Just what I said yesterday from a quote from a review... "Pentax K-r doesn't really offer any new 'killer features' but nevertheless comes with a few new functionalities"
Just change it to K-5.....
How many camera's from other manufacturers come with 'killer features' every new iteration?

By the way, wouldn't ISO51200 on a crop camera count as 'killer feature'?

Some people are hard to please...

09-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
However, if they both are, that will mean that the K-5 will be improved over the K-7 in every significant area that goes into taking photos besides the viewfinder.

Higher resolution? Check
Better frame rate? Check
Better High ISO performance? Check
Better autofocus? Check
Bonus: Better movie mode? Check
I have to disagree with this assessment. If the check-list is correct it is not surprising. Of course the new flagship model will incrementally improve on the previous model. However this is not the same as "significant" improvements to photography.

For that we need:

1. Lower noise at low ISOs, something we have not seen in a while. I need ISO100-400 to look better. This is far more important in most shooting situations than chasing higher sensitivities -- though I am glad for that too! It remains to be seen if the K-5 achieves this but I do not expect it.

2. Backwards compatibility in ergonomics, which is partially in place through the simple expedient of not changing the body. Pentax, please keep all the buttons in the same place through successive generations! There is nothing worse than having to re-think when shifting from primary body to backup body. Big win for K-5, at least if you own a K-7.

3. More complete system. The body is only one part of a photographer's kit. Where is the WR flash, the teleconverter, etc. etc.?

And there are many more items -- the full list will have to wait for a blog article.
09-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Be prepared to be slightly shocked by the RRP of the 18-135 stand-alone...
Probably close to € 1500 . I do recall the price of the DA18-55 alone being about three times as much a the difference in price of Body and kit with previous models.

That is smart marketing to make people think "I want that 18-135, might as well get the K-5"
09-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
1. Lower noise at low ISOs, something we have not seen in a while. I need ISO100-400 to look better. This is far more important in most shooting situations than chasing higher sensitivities -- though I am glad for that too! It remains to be seen if the K-5 achieves this but I do not expect it.
14bit RAW and an increase in resolution look promising, don't you think?

QuoteQuote:
2. Backwards compatibility in ergonomics, which is partially in place through the simple expedient of not changing the body. Pentax, please keep all the buttons in the same place through successive generations! There is nothing worse than having to re-think when shifting from primary body to backup body. Big win for K-5, at least if you own a K-7.
That would sort of stop innovation, wouldn't it? You can't keep everything at the same spot when you've got bigger screens and liveview buttons that require space. Besides, it's not as if every button on the K-7 was somewhere else compared to where it used to be on the K20D.

QuoteQuote:
3. More complete system. The body is only one part of a photographer's kit. Where is the WR flash, the teleconverter, etc. etc.?
Yes!
09-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #191
wll
Veteran Member

Gulp !!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote

The K-5 has NOTHING in common with the K-7 except the body. This is a whole new camera, a new sensor FAR, FAR exceeding the K-7's, much, fast focusing, better video, better HDR features, and the list goes on.

This camera does NOT look like a minor upgrade to me !

wll
09-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #192
Forum Member

Thank you, I am getting depressed by all these so hard to please pessimists. Celebrate the improvements and for once do not focus so much on the things that were not upgraded. And on top of that: spare me the IQ and DR verdicts, let's wait for some real life RAW pictures taken with this camera.
09-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #193

I agree I lusted over the K7 body and handling but never pulled the trigger as the noise and af issues niggled me. the k5 seems like a whole new ball game and i am definitely getting one
09-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #194
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The K-5 has NOTHING in common with the K-7 except the body. This is a whole new camera, a new sensor FAR, FAR exceeding the K-7's, much, fast focusing, better video, better HDR features, and the list goes on.

This camera does NOT look like a minor upgrade to me !

wll
Did you try already?

7 vs 5.2 is minor
more MP at APS-C is worse.
HDR is not interesting
AF - need to check...
11 AF points are a bit odd for very fast AF-C :ugh:
video is for video fans

marketing says - FASTER, HIGHER AND STRONGER

The users think only about MP and noise above ISO800...
But the real IQ at CMOS APS-C is worse and worse...
09-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I have to disagree with this assessment. If the check-list is correct it is not surprising. Of course the new flagship model will incrementally improve on the previous model. However this is not the same as "significant" improvements to photography.
I agree with you for the most part, although I was referring to the bread and butter elements of photography. The K-7 already was excellent at basic things like white balance, ergonomics, exposure and having a silent shutter. I expect these things to carry on to the K-5, so I still feel like the point stands. If anything, I hope the K-5's sensor and other improvements will encourage people to upgrade, so, ironically, they will then be able to enjoy the K-7's qualities through the K-5 experience.

QuoteQuote:
Agreed, this would be nice. The expanded ISO80, if true, is at least conceptually a nice step in the right direction. This Sony sensor also has a native ISO of 100 if I'm not mistaken, which is nice to see as well.

Hopefully the High ISO arms race will die down once we're all able to take crappy nightvision photos to our heart's content, and then manufacturers can start focusing on 100-800 ISO image quality again.

QuoteQuote:
I do own the K-7 and I love it (besides a few minor complaints) so I count this as another win for the K-5.

QuoteQuote:
Agreed. And of course since we're Pentax users we get more excited for new lenses than we do for new bodies. This has been sort of a disappointing year for lens releases.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 09-19-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Closed Thread