Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wololo Quote
Sensor is not from Pentax, so what's REALLY new?
With the exception of Canon, every other camera manufacturer sources sensors from third party OEMs. You can't possibly expect Pentax to fab their own sensor.

QuoteQuote:
no AA batteries usable (the KR can use AA batteries but is not WR. this must be a bad joke...)
If you are a globetrotting traveler, you probably already have the grip - which can use AAs.

QuoteQuote:
no superzoom IF WR for the professional photoshooter available
I *highly* doubt a "professional" photographer would limit themselves to a single superzoom lens, image quality notwithstanding.

09-19-2010, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #227
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Did you try already?

7 vs 5.2 is minor
more MP at APS-C is worse.
HDR is not interesting
AF - need to check...
11 AF points are a bit odd for very fast AF-C :ugh:
video is for video fans

marketing says - FASTER, HIGHER AND STRONGER

The users think only about MP and noise above ISO800...
But the real IQ at CMOS APS-C is worse and worse...
Pardon me, did you try already !

You have been preaching doom and gloom since some of the info has been leaked, well I'm broken hearted that you are disappointed, maybe Pentax should have hired you as an adviser so there would be no video, no HDR, 89 AF points, 6 mega pixels, would have an ISO range of 80-400, and the camera could be large as a house !

Better yet, instead of complaining and moaning, why don't you get some investors together and build your own camera, I'm sure you can do better than Pentax, as a matter of fact I don't think there is a camera company on the planet that could compete with the "ogl" camera.

The only problem is only one person would buy it ... care to guess who that would be ?

wll
09-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #228
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just want to video my toddler (14 months old girl) and it is much easier to have one device (DSLR) that can do both good photo and video with AF.

In the year of 2010, Pentax is the only main player can't do AF in video. C/N/S/Panasonic/Olympus are all offering this function now in part of their products.
09-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #229
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Pardon me, did you try already !

You have been preaching doom and gloom since some of the info has been leaked, well I'm broken hearted that you are disappointed, maybe Pentax should have hired you as an adviser so there would be no video, no HDR, 89 AF points, 6 mega pixels, would have an ISO range of 80-400, and the camera could be large as a house !

Better yet, instead of complaining and moaning, why don't you get some investors together and build your own camera, I'm sure you can do better than Pentax, as a matter of fact I don't think there is a camera company on the planet that could compete with the "ogl" camera.

The only problem is only one person would buy it ... care to guess who that would be ?

wll

I am not sure why people are bashing ogl. He is simply stating the facts. This camera is lacking a wow factor to place it above everything else.

09-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #230
Veteran Member

honestly, if specs are true, Pentax once again brings a knife to a gunfight.
09-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #231
Inactive Account

@ewalk

I think it is good, that Pentax doesn't produce its own sensors. So you can grabbing the best, which is available on the market.

The grip is a solution, no grip is a better solution. Extra stuff is all size and weight which you carry around. No problem, if you drive with a car. But it might be become a problem if you take a himalaya tour (yes, there are AA batteries also at this place *g*).

And you are right. If I am at home, I would prefer maybe a set of single primes. But not for a long travel. And this DSLR could conquer one part of the market much better, without these two "weaknesses".

Thank you alot for your opinion.

Last edited by Wololo; 09-19-2010 at 11:14 AM.
09-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
honestly, if specs are true, Pentax once again brings a knife to a gunfight.
At this price point, what would you consider so tame about the camera?

09-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
With the exception of Canon, every other camera manufacturer sources sensors from third party OEMs. You can't possibly expect Pentax to fab their own sensor.
Sony?
09-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #234
Veteran Member

I for one think the K-5 sounds quite solid in terms of the specs. True, it does not have any killer special feature (that we know of) like GPS, LCD viewfinder, etc., but it promises to be a great camera to use. Pricing is really going to be critical on this one, especially with the D7000's price. The more expensive it is, the less impressive it starts to look.

Also, has no one noticed the sticky Adam has posted yet, which mentions that he will have the information released at 10am tomorrow for, besides the K-5, the

"SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR"

I think that has leaked more information that we've had before. Both ED and AL glass in it, plus internal focusing.

But what can "DC" possibly be???

The only things I could think of off-hand would be a new coating technology (D-coating), or something like "direct control"--i.e. it allows for aperture control, etc. in video recording. Or another crazy idea: DC could be related to the focusing system the lens uses (something other than the current SDM or screw-drive). So there may be some surprise left after all.

Last edited by macTak; 09-19-2010 at 11:29 AM.
09-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wololo Quote
K5 seems good but, I expected a bit more innovation from Pentax. Let us compare the differences between K5 and K7.

23,6 mm x 15,7 mm = 370,53 mm² (Sensor K5)
23,4 mm x 15,6 mm = 365,04 mm² (Sensor K7)

ISO 100 - 12800 (K5)
ISO 100 - 3200 (k7)

4928 x 3264 (RAW K5)
4672 x 3104 (RAW K7)

1920 x 1080 (Video K5)
1536 x 1080 (Video K7)

7,0 images/second (K5)
5,2 images/second (K7)

670 g (weight K5, rumor was 770 g)
670 g (weight K7)

77 seals (K5, rumor were 80 seals)
77 seals (K7)

SAFOX IX AF (K5)

Source for K5-Specs:
http://www.priyantha.nl/GoT/Pentax_K-5/K5_specs_pg1_verkleind.jpg
http://www.priyantha.nl/GoT/Pentax_K-5/K5_specs_pg2_verkleind.jpg

The K5 seems to be a TOP APS-C DSLR. But the only innovation seems to be the SAFOX IX AF, which was introduced with the great 645D months ago. Sensor is not from Pentax, so what's REALLY new?

This DSLR has two main weaknesses for a true outdoor/globetrotter DSLR in my opinion:
-> no AA batteries usable (the KR can use AA batteries but is not WR. this must be a bad joke...)
-> no superzoom IF WR for the professional photoshooter available

If you travel you need ONE lens, not a set. DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135 have a nice IQ, but a bad SDM (I heard). Rumors about the new 18-135 WR tell us, that it might have f3.5-5.6, no IF and (maybe!) average IQ.
No professional would use a super zoom, plus a 60-250 and a 16-45 and your covered.

What I can't figure out is why people insist on Pentax having a break thru over all other makers? the specs are that of a d7000 and the new sony and if priced the same at least Pentax has equaled nikon and sony, next round they may take the 7D on and they have both raised the bar and stepped up fighting the competition on equal terms finally!
09-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
At this price point, what would you consider so tame about the camera?
that it's a slightly upgraded version of a previous model. essentially a maintenance release.

simply compare the big recent and innovative announcements from their competitors around this price point (60D,7D, D7000) and Pentax isolates itself even further in today's market.
09-19-2010, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Absolut unempfindlich mit hohem Empfindlichkeitsbereich
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
What's that mean?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Completely insensitive to high sensitivity range". Quite weird, Falconeye told you.
The literal translation is a word's play.

The best translation into English language I can come up with is:

Very rugged and very sensitive too.
09-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #238
Forum Member

If you think K-5 is bad, look at the Olympus E-5..it took Olympus 4 yrs for such a minor upgrade.

Big players like C/N/S have a much deeper pocket to invest in R&D and try out new tech (like Sony A55)...

Let's hope K-r and K-5 will be a success like K-x

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
that it's a slightly upgraded version of a previous model. essentially a maintenance release.

simply compare the big recent and innovative announcements from their competitors around this price point (60D,7D, D7000) and Pentax isolates itself even further in today's market.
09-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
No professional would use a super zoom, plus a 60-250 and a 16-45 and your covered.

What I can't figure out is why people insist on Pentax having a break thru over all other makers? the specs are that of a d7000 and the new sony and if priced the same at least Pentax has equaled nikon and sony, next round they may take the 7D on and they have both raised the bar and stepped up fighting the competition on equal terms finally!
People, can't you see that the only things that differentiates Pentax NOW are colored bodies and small high quality primes? LE: diffrentiators compared with all competition, including Sony/Olympus

Until now, Pentax offered decent AF, decent video, IBIS, backward compatibility (and WR for K10/20/7/5) for a decent sum of money.

Pentax's offere did not change much (a little better than the upgrade K20-K7), what DID change is that Nikon is offering a highly competitive body with a highly competitive price offsetting the things that Pentax used to consider as differentiators and, more important for Nikon, offsetting the Canon midrange where are the biggest part of potential switchers (people that want quality but not pros)

Last edited by kytra; 09-19-2010 at 11:40 AM.
09-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #240
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by vcheng9 Quote
Let's hope K-r and K-5 will be a success like K-x
Actually it would be better if these two both sold like crap, and Hoya realizes they need to really invest some money in making truly great cameras, and revolutionize the market. How to do this? I have no idea.
Closed Thread