Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Is that real?
Some people will really like the 400!!!!! what about an F number?
I do not have the f number. He just named the 3 lenses by the length. But he say the 400m will come out. 18-135 is already out. 18-260mm replacement for 18-250mm. So far out of the three one was already out.

09-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #257
Veteran Member

Did somebody up there say that the 60D was somehow a revolutionary camera while the K-5 is lame?
09-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
This camera is aimed at users not already upgraded to the k-7.

I really feel compelled to jump back from Canon! They have finally ironed out all the kinks in the k-7.
And comeback to Pentax once FF is out. by Next year.
09-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #259
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
However we have no really good reason to think that this camera will sell for 1700. That is a rumored MRSP, and I think it is inflated... or the one with the 18-135 lens bundled. If this camera retails for the same price as the K7, it will be a winner. At this rumored MRSP, it will be a flop. Even more importantly, retail prices will be below the MRSP.

PS I love how you know a laser-photographer. Very cool stuff. The closest thing I have seen is Radiohead's "House of Cards" music video.... the entire thing was shot with a laser grid, and no traditional cameras were used.

Yep I agree there. MSRP prices are always way high. I am just anxious to see how low the price can go. I imagine Pentax was quite happy until Nikon revealed the D7000 and I imagine it somewhat stuck a fork in there plans. Hopefully they go quite low, lower than the D7k for sure.

Yep that laser setup is super impressive. He is one of the few left in the country who will still make custom holographs for anyone interested. Prices are expensive, but justly so. It is something like $800 for an 8x5 or similar. But the 3D effect is simply amazing, you could swear you were staring at the real thing right in front of you.

09-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I keep failing to see why people are calling this a D7000 killer. It is equal to or beaten by the D7000 in most aspects, except for the 6fps vs. 7fps. I understand that this spec sheet may not be fully right, but can someone please tell me how the K5 beats the D7000?
Pentax could not produce a D7000 killer, not even if they offered a D700 specced camera in a K-7 body with K-r price.... If that happened the majority would still buy the Nikon or maybe Canon camera, just because of the name.
09-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, I just finished reading this thread and am amazed by how much gloom abounds around what sounds like a decent upgrade. Let's just say that it has decent iso 6400 and top of the line dynamic range at low iso, that would get me there in a heart beat.

I have said before, but the biggest knock on Nikon is the cost of their high end lenses. Look at a 17-55 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8 VR II (which leaves you a nice gap in the middle). Very nice lenses, but will run you 3500 dollars between them and the 17-55 doesn't even feature image stabilization.

I think people who appreciate Pentax's niche will tend to stick with Pentax (too expensive to switch if no other reason) and those who like Nikon will stick with them. There are always folks who go from one brand to another, but often they don't remain satisfied and switch to a third brand eventually...
09-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Pentax could not produce a D7000 killer, not even if they offered a D700 specced camera in a K-7 body with K-r price.... If that happened the majority would still buy the Nikon or maybe Canon camera, just because of the name.
Sad and not entirely untrue. It will be interesting to see where the K-5 is priced. How much does Pentax really care/think they need to care about the D7000's pricepoint will be answered to some degree.

09-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Your logic is specious. Not everybody was asking for a K-7 with a K-x sensor. If you wish to address your comments to specific people who did want that and are now disappointed, please do.
but you have to admit, the "I want K-x sensor in K-7 body"people was by far the noisiest group of people on just about any Pentax forum. You cannpt blame pentax for listening to the crowd
09-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #264
Veteran Member

D7000 has tracking ability, so you can program it to track an object and always have it stay in focus. That would be awesome for me, where I like to video R/C aircraft and boats, where they are constantly changing distance from me to them. Also people serious about video have an external mic. AF in video seems like a no brainer to me.
Umm if you stop down a bit you have focus from about 10-15 feet tilll the horizon. Should be enough for R/C aircraft.... And if they do come closer , you'd better duck instead of trying to take a picture...
09-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #265
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
"SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR"

I think that has leaked more information that we've had before. Both ED and AL glass in it, plus internal focusing.

But what can "DC" possibly be???

The only things I could think of off-hand would be a new coating technology (D-coating), or something like "direct control"--i.e. it allows for aperture control, etc. in video recording. Or another crazy idea: DC could be related to the focusing system the lens uses (something other than the current SDM or screw-drive). So there may be some surprise left after all.
I'm thinking "De-Centered".

Doesn't K-7 already allow aperture control for video?
09-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
No professional would use a super zoom, plus a 60-250 and a 16-45 and your covered.
I know a few wedding shooters who use superzooms, just for the "walkaround reception shots"
09-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Sad and not entirely untrue. It will be interesting to see where the K-5 is priced. How much does Pentax really care/think they need to care about the D7000's pricepoint will be answered to some degree.
The probably bad thing about K-5 is that there is no revolutionary new technology as man wanted...
OTOH it is an upgrade of any things....
Now, if there were new things in the K-5, I am convinced we'd see many posts stating that "pentax should not have included these gadgetty things, they should simply have made ugrades on the K-7.."
09-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #268
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Should be enough for R/C aircraft.... And if they do come closer , you'd better duck instead of trying to take a picture...
The videos I take of R/C helis and airplanes range from about 2 feet away to several hundred feet. Yes I would like AF.
09-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #269
Veteran Member

The videos I take of R/C helis and airplanes range from about 2 feet away to several hundred feet. Yes I would like AF.
Get a Canon.

That's not being sarcastic or dismissive or in any way confrontational. If that is a major endeavor for you, you're looking at the wrong camera. I can say with near certainty that Pentax AF will never, ever, come to be on par with Canon AF.
09-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #270
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Get a Canon.

That's not being sarcastic or dismissive or in any way confrontational. If that is a major endeavor for you, you're looking at the wrong camera. I can say with near certainty that Pentax AF will never, ever, come to be on par with Canon AF.
Well, it's not a major endeavor. Just somethign that I would like to use since the camera has the capability. I would really like to see if the K-5 can perform what I want to it to before I rule it out.
Closed Thread