Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
When every other camera company is delivering new AF technologies or new types of cameras altogether, being sold the latest version of SAFOX whatever in a body with a slightly taller knob as the sole ergonomic improvement seems conservative to say the least.
It is simply mind boggling that you can write off a product completely before it is announced, let alone anyone laying his/her hands on one! Whatever they name the AF system is irrelevant, it is how they perform in real life which counts!

09-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #302
Inactive Account

The Norwegian photography site Akam.no has updated their product guide with these specs:
Google translate(http://produkt.akam.no/product.php?productId=141363&view=specifications)

No big surprises there...

Last edited by freeload; 09-19-2010 at 11:17 PM.
09-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
EDIT: Actually, this is just a pricewatch kind of website, not a website you'd expect would have pre-announcement information. So these people don't know anything more than we do...

Last edited by kevinschoenmakers; 09-19-2010 at 11:21 PM.
09-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #304
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
No ISO80
A new AF mode: 'Predictive focus tracking:Yes'
I think both have been discussed previously in this thread - at least I'm confident the ISO 100 has been noted.
The predictive AF have just been a rumor.

I would not be surprised if they used some of the "official" pictures floating round the net until the official release.

09-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
It is simply mind boggling that you can write off a product completely before it is announced, let alone anyone laying his/her hands on one! Whatever they name the AF system is irrelevant, it is how they perform in real life which counts!
i started by saying IF the leaked specs were true. and since its the same body as a K-7, then for all intents and purposes I have "laid my hands on one".

SAFOX is an AF technology going back to film days, and AF is commonly regarded as one of Pentax's weaknesses throughout all its various iterations. By naming it SAFOX IX+, with the same 11 pts its had for generations, its clearly fundamentally the same (often criticized vs. others) technology.

again, it may be more than good enough for you and me, but in a spec-driven market, it is not good enough in terms of its competition at its price point.

i love my K-7 and don't want to change systems. what i genuinely fear, is that someday i may have to if lenses or parts stop getting made.
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #306
Pentaxian

(Nikon's) Multi-CAM is an AF technology going back to film days. By naming it Multi-CAM 3500, it's clearly fundamentally the same technology.
09-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #307
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
EDIT: Actually, this is just a pricewatch kind of website, not a website you'd expect would have pre-announcement information. So these people don't know anything more than we do...
Yes and no. It appeared this morning and this pricewatch thing is tightly connected to the editorial part of the site Akam.no

09-19-2010, 11:42 PM   #308
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
(Nikon's) Multi-CAM is an AF technology going back to film days. By naming it Multi-CAM 3500, it's clearly fundamentally the same technology.
major difference being Multi-CAM is a highly praised technology. its always been an industry leading strength for Nikon, not a weakness in stark contrast to Pentax. even if it wasnt the same technology, smart marketers would keep that name, not lose it.
09-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #309
Pentaxian

major difference being Multi-CAM is a highly praised technology. its always been an industry leading strength for Nikon, not a weakness in stark contrast to Pentax.
I'm getting a bit fed up with all this AF whining. I have a MUCH higher keeper rate with my K-7 than I ever had with my K20D, K20D and *ist DS before that. And that's not due me being a better photographer, the K-7 is clearly a better camera with few weaknesses. If the new SAFOX in the K-5 is much better again then who am I to complain?

This saturday I got this shot with my K-7 and Sigma 500/4.5 APO EX, handheld! Of course it's not a BIF shot but the AF to me is just superb and consistent. And I wouldn't want to miss the built-in SR which makes ALL of my lenses stabilized.

09-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #310
Veteran Member

great shot. as i've said, my K-7 makes me happy me as well, and I personally have little problem with its AF (except at F 1.4 at low-light, when i need 1.4).

Still, I know better than to think MY single opinion counts for anything to the market. the MARKET cares what the reviewers, the spec-sheets, and the camera store buyers and salespeople think, and like it or not, TRUE or not, that narrative is what will decide Pentax's profits and general health as a company. alas, not your (or my) individual experience for our individual photographic needs.
09-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #311
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'm getting a bit fed up with all this AF whining. I
Try to catch flying sparrow. Or several birds close to the evening.
09-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Easy... Put out some bread, wait for a couple of mins and shoot away
09-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #313
Pentaxian

great shot. as i've said, my K-7 makes me happy me as well, and I personally have little problem with its AF (except at F 1.4 at low-light, when i need 1.4).
I'm also happy with the accuracy of my FA* 85/1.4 at f/1.4 and low light.

QuoteQuote:
Still, I know better than to think MY single opinion counts for anything to the market. the MARKET cares what the reviewers, the spec-sheets, and the camera store buyers and salespeople think, and like it or not, TRUE or not, that narrative is what will decide Pentax's profits and general health as a company. alas, not your (or my) individual experience for our individual photographic needs.
And that's quite unfortunate indeed. I do trust the Pentax engineers this time though and I'm sure the new SAFOX is indeed better.
09-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
You can't even do that with a Canon or Nikon unless you have the technique. The technique is super important for BIF shots of super fast and small birds. Of course the AF of my K-7 wouldn't cut it. But no AF will make it if your technique is bad to begin with.

(The normal reflex viewfinder at 500mm for BIF shots is completely useless, regardless of brand, because it's hard to keep the bird in the viewfinder. Because of this I'm thinking of getting a red-dot sight to put on top of my camera. The bird can be followed easier and more consistent, and hopefully the AF will be able to keep track of the bird because it's in the AF field most of the time.)
09-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
It's not about how many units each sells. The thing is Pentax flagships (K10D, K20D & K-7) used to be compared with Nikons in a higher class (D200, D300 & D300s) and Nikons in that class were always more expensive. Now they are compared to a consumer camera from Nikon which is apparently less expensive.
Errr, the D7000 is effectively regarded , also by Nikonians BTW, as the continuation of the D300 line, be it at a lower price...
Closed Thread