Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #181
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Leicester, England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 89
QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
It doesn't matter how good it is, it's seriously overpriced. It's a dead duck unless they can knock 400 off of the ask.
Eh?

1199 list price, inc' 18-55wr seems reasonable, and it's likely to be below 1k within 6 months.

The possible price was my main issue, but I'm now very interested.

09-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #182
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
Is there a camera uses the same sensor with K-5?
09-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #183
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montral, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Is there a camera uses the same sensor with K-5?
Nothing officially confirmed, naturally, but the Nikon D7000, as well as the Sony A55 and A580 seem to use a variant of the same sensor, if not the same sensor outright.
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #184
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Nothing officially confirmed, naturally, but the Nikon D7000, as well as the Sony A55 and A580 seem to use a variant of the same sensor, if not the same sensor outright.
So let's hope K-5's IQ will be little better than this. :ugh:

Warning: below link is a 4.7MB Sony A55 photo:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/producten/2639/testrapport/sony-a55-photo.jpg

09-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #185
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
There seems to be a lot of bickering about the inconsistent spec reports.
Wouldn't Pentax's official website be a pretty decent source?
If so, it's clearly stated:

Sensitivity range:
Auto: ISO 100-12800 (1, 1/2, 1/3 steps), expandable to ISO 80-51200, Bulb mode up to ISO 1600

Drive mode:
Continuous FPS - Continuous Hi: 7.0 FPS (22 JPG, 8 RAW) - Continuous Lo: 2.0 FPS (unlimited JPG, 12 RAW)

Now as much as I'd not be as happy with a 15 RAW buffer at 7fps and a Lo speed of 3.3fps, this is not what Pentax are saying (8 frames at 7fps?!? Continuous shooting barely clearing 1 second?!?)

C'est la vie...
An impressive camera in every other way indeed.
09-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #186
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denia
Posts: 10
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
So let's hope K-5's IQ will be little better than this. :ugh:

Warning: below link is a 4.7MB Sony A55 photo:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/producten/2639/testrapport/sony-a55-photo.jpg
I dont know what lens they used but i can asure you that my Canon 550D with 17-55 2.8 IS is a light year ahead from this Sony in terms of resolution and CA
and i dont know whats the hype about this new pentax lens, when Canon make similar wonderfull 15-85 which quality surpases many L lenses.
09-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #187
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 5
AEB in K-5?

There is no manual out yet on the K-5. I have found almost every spec except whether the K-5 will do more than 5 Auto Exposure Bracket shots. My K-7 does a max of five, and I use an old Nikon to do 7 or 9. Anyone know? Thanks...
09-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #188
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There seems to be a lot of bickering about the inconsistent spec reports.
Wouldn't Pentax's official website be a pretty decent source?
If so, it's clearly stated:

Sensitivity range:
Auto: ISO 100-12800 (1, 1/2, 1/3 steps), expandable to ISO 80-51200, Bulb mode up to ISO 1600

Drive mode:
Continuous FPS - Continuous Hi: 7.0 FPS (22 JPG, 8 RAW) - Continuous Lo: 2.0 FPS (unlimited JPG, 12 RAW)

Now as much as I'd not be as happy with a 15 RAW buffer at 7fps and a Lo speed of 3.3fps, this is not what Pentax are saying (8 frames at 7fps?!? Continuous shooting barely clearing 1 second?!?)

C'est la vie...
An impressive camera in every other way indeed.
I wonder if the confusion on the buffer capacity is due to the difference from 14 bit versus 12 bit performance. Even if not, if the JPG engine is OK I can see using the 22 JPG option when I need it for sports photos and the RAW option for everything else.

09-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #189
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by boyan Quote
and i dont know whats the hype about this new pentax lens, when Canon make similar wonderfull 15-85 which quality surpases many L lenses.
It probably has something to do with the fact that Pentax users can't use the Canon lens on their cameras. I'm sure the Canon 24-105L f/4 will still be better than this new Pentax zoom, too, but I'm still glad that Pentax users have this option now.
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #190
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
here is a question....has anyone found the user manul online? WHile my confidence is LOW it would be the file RTM manual, it might be the correct manual and have the real specs.
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #191
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somerset, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 629
So this guy told me it won't have manual video controls.

Chat via: http://www.pentaxdslr.com/slr/K-5/ then clicked on product support then chat.
Attached Images
 
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #192
Veteran Member
macTak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Continuous FPS - Continuous Hi: 7.0 FPS (22 JPG, 8 RAW) - Continuous Lo: 2.0 FPS (unlimited JPG, 12 RAW)

Now as much as I'd not be as happy with a 15 RAW buffer at 7fps and a Lo speed of 3.3fps, this is not what Pentax are saying (8 frames at 7fps?!? Continuous shooting barely clearing 1 second?!?)
I just don't understand how the camera can take 8 RAW shots in 1.15 seconds in HI, but in low can take 12 in 6 seconds. That means it takes 4.85 seconds to take the extra 4 RAW frames, yet that stills leads to filling the buffer.

Edit: Well, the K-7 didn't have many more frames in Low RAW than Hi RAW either, but the FPS difference wasn't so great. Also, the K-7 had a buffer fill rate of 1.4fps.
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #193
KSB
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 8
Sorry but I think they have over priced it!!! they may be driving people away.. BUT we shall see
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #194
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveB Quote
There is no manual out yet on the K-5. I have found almost every spec except whether the K-5 will do more than 5 Auto Exposure Bracket shots. My K-7 does a max of five, and I use an old Nikon to do 7 or 9. Anyone know? Thanks...
D'oh!! I was typing while you were posting the same question...sorry about that, but a manual should address all the incomplete/accurate spec sheets. I blame the factory being moved to Vietnam...I mean people blame almost everything else on that so, hey WTF...
09-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #195
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
I just don't understand how the camera can take 8 RAW shots in 1.15 seconds in HI, but in low can take 12 in 6 seconds. That means it takes 4.85 seconds to take the extra 4 RAW frames, yet that stills leads to filling the buffer.

Edit: Well, the K-7 didn't have many more frames in Low RAW than Hi RAW either, but the FPS difference wasn't so great. Also, the K-7 had a buffer fill rate of 1.4fps.
This also intrigues me, but moreso regarding the difference between 14 and 12 bit RAWs, and what they mean in real life processing.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adjustment, approx, color, display, flash, image, k-5, mode, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D7000 officially announced! JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 41 10-04-2010 02:30 PM
NEW DFA100 macro WR ANNOUNCED officially ogl Pentax News and Rumors 8 12-09-2009 10:38 PM
Nikon D90 officially announced Gus Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 37 09-07-2008 03:43 PM
Tokina Makro 35mm f2.8 ("the ugly") officially announced blende8 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 11-18-2007 05:50 AM
DA* Lenses Officially Announced roscot Pentax News and Rumors 22 03-17-2007 07:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top