Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #211
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 9
The fact that the K-5 doesn't have manual video controls is just heart-braking for me.

Before you start with the "you should have bought a Canon in the first place": I still use my camera primarily for photography, but ever since I bought the K-7 I've been more and more involved in film-making, and I am starting to get pretty serious about continuing in that direction. The problem is I am still a student and have invested all my money into K-mount lenses (doing most of my photography on the film Super-A body) and switching systems would cost way to much for my budget and I would end up with lenses not nearly as suited for movie work as the old manual focus lenses I own and love so much (which I would have to sell way below what they're worth for my work).

I've been saving for the successor to the K-7 for a half a year now, naturally expecting that it would have full manual video control.

It's probably the simplest and cheapest upgrade they could have made and it would have made a WORLD of difference to any potential buyers who use a lot of video.

I would gladly pay to upgrade from the K-7 even if the only thing new about the K-5 was manual video control. Every single competing DSLR, and even cameras half the price have this feature.

I really am truly gutted and sad. This could seriously impede my ability to advance in my new hobby/potential career choice and make things difficult for me.

Serves me right for expecting what is apparently too much.

I really don't know what to do now. Switch systems and spend the year saving up for and trying to build a similarly capable lens collection (which with canon's lens pricing/relatively new mount - remember, I don't need AF at all and am paying way more than I should - and my very limited budget is going to take me a year at least) or keep stagnating with the crippled K-7 (or upgrading to the equally crippled K-5) only to be potentially disappointed with Pentax making a fantastic camera which lacks one critical basic feature for the third time in a row?

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

09-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #212
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
Agreed:

-no turning off DFS
-no manual video
-no 24fps
-8 RAW buffer (if you can get more with 12-bit, then it's all good)
-no tethering
-single SD Slot

Kind of disheartening.

AF and 80 ISO is looking good though.
09-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,065
So is 999 shot interval without 3rd party stuff.

"Extended-exposure NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a choice of Auto, On and Off
modes". Had my hopes up.
09-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #214
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I imagine this would be an easy firmware tweak. What I also find disappointing is that the CS Lo setting is set to 2fps. Why can't we set it to whatever we want? I'd prefer CS Lo to be 5fps. I have no need for 8fps, but 2fps is way, way too slow. This, again, seems to be easily changed in firmware.
Can't remember reading anyone complaining about the slow option of 3fps on the K-7 can you? Why change it to 2? Seems too slow. Yes a choice would be great.

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
So Pentax launches a product with these two. Nikon launches their D7000 with Chase Jarvis having used the camera for months, shooting in the field, using it to create amazing images and video. Pentax has some great pros that use their gear, why not step up the efforts and let these folks help you with your launch. Sad sad sad.
Agree - I offered my services in the "Dear Pentax" thread but they just ignored me! Very strange

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
...that the very unfortunate button layout of the K-7 on the camera back is retained. This actually nullifies all advances in theoretical AF performance.
I agree that the AF button should fall more naturally to the thumb, it's a button that is continually pressed, as opposed to the green button which is occasionally pressed (well hardly ever pressed by me), where it is now is awkward.

09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #215
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
Are we going to have John C Pentax or whatever on here again to answer questions, as he did after K-7 announcement?
09-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,065
Different folks, different thumbs. I think the buttons are positioned well.
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #217
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 25
I don't think 24fps makes all that much of a difference. 30fps and 60fps are what's missing. And compression is not h.264, that's really a big letdown. Clearly not the video-friendly camera I was hoping for....
09-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #218
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
-no turning off DFS
-no manual video
-no 24fps
-8 RAW buffer (if you can get more with 12-bit, then it's all good)
-no tethering
-single SD Slot

Kind of disheartening.
I agree, there are many things on this list that probably would be easy to implement in firmware (DFS, manual vid, 24fps).

No tethering is a serious miss for a camera at this level. Double SD slot is a nice to have but not a deal breaker IMHO.

For me the lack of articulated LCD was a bit disappointing but I kind of expect it because they reused the K-7 body.

09-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #219
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
Auto-align HDR - cool. I never tried HDR as I never have my tripod with me and could neveer be bothered trying it in any software (plus the HDR pictures I had seen put me off it anyway). Hope this works.
09-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #220
Senior Member
scole's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 216
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Agreed:

-no turning off DFS
-no manual video
-no 24fps
-8 RAW buffer (if you can get more with 12-bit, then it's all good)
-no tethering
-single SD Slot

Kind of disheartening.

AF and 80 ISO is looking good though.
Am I missing something? In the european press release it states:

QuoteQuote:
Extended-exposure NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a choice of Auto, On and Off
modes
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #221
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 25
QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
That's right this camera is up in the 7d and 300ds league not the 7000... the kr is actually more in the 7000 range just like the kx was in the 3100 and5000 range and the km was for 3000 and d60
imo, the d7000 is pretty much in the same league as the d300s.
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #222
Veteran Member
mickey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,073
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Seems to me all been quiet from Japan. As if the K-5 was nothing. What are they waiting for. Not like the K-r it was spot on pressa thing from the release. But now no info. I guess the release today have a lot mixed specifications from different Pentax regional sites.

Somehow IMHO Pentax Japan (Hoya) have other things in mind.
Yeah, not sure what's going on.
Went to a large chain store recently, and there is already advertising for the new K-x, not including what's on its site.

Not a thing anywhere about the k-5.
Must be a reason for holding back on it in Japan...
09-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #223
Senior Member
Alcazar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 212
QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
Am I missing something? In the european press release it states:
Extended-exposure NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a choice of Auto, On and Off
modes
NR and DFS are two different things
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #224
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 25
QuoteOriginally posted by Varash Quote
The fact that the K-5 doesn't have manual video controls is just heart-braking for me.

Before you start with the "you should have bought a Canon in the first place": I still use my camera primarily for photography, but ever since I bought the K-7 I've been more and more involved in film-making, and I am starting to get pretty serious about continuing in that direction. The problem is I am still a student and have invested all my money into K-mount lenses (doing most of my photography on the film Super-A body) and switching systems would cost way to much for my budget and I would end up with lenses not nearly as suited for movie work as the old manual focus lenses I own and love so much (which I would have to sell way below what they're worth for my work).

I've been saving for the successor to the K-7 for a half a year now, naturally expecting that it would have full manual video control.

It's probably the simplest and cheapest upgrade they could have made and it would have made a WORLD of difference to any potential buyers who use a lot of video.

I would gladly pay to upgrade from the K-7 even if the only thing new about the K-5 was manual video control. Every single competing DSLR, and even cameras half the price have this feature.

I really am truly gutted and sad. This could seriously impede my ability to advance in my new hobby/potential career choice and make things difficult for me.

Serves me right for expecting what is apparently too much.

I really don't know what to do now. Switch systems and spend the year saving up for and trying to build a similarly capable lens collection (which with canon's lens pricing/relatively new mount - remember, I don't need AF at all and am paying way more than I should - and my very limited budget is going to take me a year at least) or keep stagnating with the crippled K-7 (or upgrading to the equally crippled K-5) only to be potentially disappointed with Pentax making a fantastic camera which lacks one critical basic feature for the third time in a row?

Anyone else experiencing something similar?
Similar... though I have some good (better, actually) Nikon lenses.... Not that Nikon made any effort to counter Canon's video specs with the d7000 though.

So now I'm thinking: "what if I buy Pentax to Canon and Nikon to Canon lens adaptors and just save up for a 5DMKII?" Most of my lenses are full frame anyway....
09-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #225
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montral, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
NR and DFS are two different things
In Pentax-speak, "long exposure NR" == DFS.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adjustment, approx, color, display, flash, image, k-5, mode, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D7000 officially announced! JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 41 10-04-2010 02:30 PM
NEW DFA100 macro WR ANNOUNCED officially ogl Pentax News and Rumors 8 12-09-2009 10:38 PM
Nikon D90 officially announced Gus Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 37 09-07-2008 03:43 PM
Tokina Makro 35mm f2.8 ("the ugly") officially announced blende8 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 11-18-2007 05:50 AM
DA* Lenses Officially Announced roscot Pentax News and Rumors 22 03-17-2007 07:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top