Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #361
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
This isn't a great argument...if you can pump up the ISO and get 3 stops better, SR adds another three ON TOP of that. You'll always get the extra light gathering ability...it's not a question of one or the other.

Of course, but unless you are using tele lenses the shutter times becomes so long that absolutely nothing alive can be in the scene and stay sharp.

But yes there are times when it's useful.

09-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #362

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmwsbabe Quote
"Do one thing. Do it well."

I soooo wished that was true when I got my k-7. It's how I convinced myself to buy it at the same price point as other cam's, but w/ fewer "gimics" (like tethering, which I could really really use)(I got it when it was still $1100). So far that philosophy has only applied to the body of the cam, and nothing else. I does indeed feel good in the hands.

I really hope I just got a lemon.. It's going back for repair today..

- I guess if mine is not a lemon, they most likely did fix any complaints I have w/ the new image sensor in the k-5.. All my complaints are about iq. Either sensor or focus..
Which are sadly the only points that should matter in the do one thing and do it well philosophy.

Last edited by wicked1; 09-23-2010 at 06:04 AM.
09-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #363
Veteran Member

Mark Dimalanta likes it: Chasing Light...: On the Eve of the Pentax K5 -What makes this surf photographer so happy?

(Was posted by Pentax on facebook...)
09-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #364
Veteran Member

Is the uncertainties about the RAW buffer straightened out yet? I have seen figures of 8, 12 and 15 frames on the internet.

09-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Mark Dimalanta likes it: Chasing Light...: On the Eve of the Pentax K5 -What makes this surf photographer so happy?

(Was posted by Pentax on facebook...)
That link is deceiving - it implies he has actually worked with a K-5, but in reality, all shots on that page were taken with a K-7 and he has yet to touch a 5. (See disclaimer near the bottom.)

It's another example of the absolutely poor job Pentax has done with marketing/announcing this camera. No "hands-on" previews/reviews (the dpreview one is pitiful and leaves many questions unanswered), conflicting spec sheets, conflicting information on whether auto-DFS is gone or not. (Official response via their chat system - fireworks and nighttime photographers are still screwed and it's "for our own good", but others imply that it seems possible to disable auto-DFS in preview cameras despite Pentax's claims otherwise.)

If there is anything that pisses me off the most, it's the insulting "we're doing this for your own good" attitude. It's why I chose Pentax over Nikon (I bought my first DSLR shortly after the NEF encryption fiasco) back then, and now am regretting that decision. Nikon's NEF encryption shenanigans were heinous in an idealistic way (The only reason to encrypt white balance metadata is to permit you to use the DMCA to sue people who try to produce a third-party RAW converter - they have not done so, but there is no other reason for encrypting white balance data.), but at least proved to not be a technical barrier in any way (dcraw supports it anyway, despite the encryption). In Pentax's case, forcing automatic dark frame subtraction down our throats "for our own good" is insulting. I'm perfectly cable of taking a single dark frame reference for a series of shots and then subtracting it later, I don't need one dark frame reference for every single shot forced on me.

Last edited by Entropy; 09-24-2010 at 06:55 AM.
09-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #366
Veteran Member

Well... I'm mad at them for DFS on the K-7 because they claimed NR could be turned off. But in B above 30s it can't. So I don't think they actually even understood what the market wanted. That said when I contacted them about it directly over the phone they were terribly apologetic and didn't try and say it was for your own good. Rather they said it was a sensor limitation. It's some of the fanboys that have said this "for your own good" line to me. I do think there's a terrible gap in communications though, take for example the way the tech specs for the K-5 have been released. Sloppy work.
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #367
Pentaxian

Part of the problem is that I know that Pentax USA had *nothing* to do with the Photokina show. In fact, there were hardly any K-5's in Germany before the Photokina. If you can believe what I'm told, then it's that the pre-production K-5's were taken to Europe by some Japanese marketing buffs from Hoya, only a day or so before the show. And the specs were changed overnight, adding to the confusion.

The K-5 looks allright, but I'm sure I'll never forget how they completely ****ed up the announcement. Bloody ****ing amateurs!

09-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Well... I'm mad at them for DFS on the K-7 because they claimed NR could be turned off. But in B above 30s it can't. So I don't think they actually even understood what the market wanted. That said when I contacted them about it directly over the phone they were terribly apologetic and didn't try and say it was for your own good. Rather they said it was a sensor limitation. It's some of the fanboys that have said this "for your own good" line to me. I do think there's a terrible gap in communications though, take for example the way the tech specs for the K-5 have been released. Sloppy work.
Claiming that that they are forcing the feature due to image quality reasons is one of those "for your own good" excuses. A photographer should be able to choose what RAW converter they wish to use (Nikon) or what dark frame subtraction approach to use, if any (Pentax).
09-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #369
Veteran Member

and so the moral of the story is to not buy not the first camera pentax release with a different look or body style but the second as it is always far better..

K10D - K20D

K-7 - K-5
09-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #370
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
That link is deceiving - it implies he has actually worked with a K-5, but in reality, all shots on that page were taken with a K-7 and he has yet to touch a 5. (See disclaimer near the bottom.)
==============================

I caught that also.
09-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

The K-5 looks allright, but I'm sure I'll never forget how they completely ****ed up the announcement. Bloody ****ing amateurs!
================================

A manifestation of Hoya's influence over Pentax.

The old Pentax needs to be back in the driver's seat.
09-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #372
Veteran Member

Holding it??

I have looked at the photos and it seems that the grips on the camera body are made for someone with small hands and shorter fingers. I am a fairly large man with long fingers which can get in the way and touch buttons I don't wish to with my K100D. If this is about the same body size I think i would have a difficult time holding it without inadvertently changing some setting. Now I do like a lighter smaller body but always seem to find all too many controls in poor locations. On the K-5 I think I would always get thumbprints all over the screen on the back. Perhaps i could get used to it but the price will probably keep me away. I do really want a K-x and might also be interested in the new model that takes "AA" rechargeables.
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #373

I ran the official Japanese K-5 site through Google Translate and this feature struck me as being new and not mentioned elsewhere:

"After JPEG recording taken at RAW. [Save] RAW buffer

The JPEG format images, RAW is added in the form can be saved.

During image playback AE-L button is pressed, the remaining buffer memory to memory card RAW data.

Change the conditions and re-deploy a wider range of product categories.

You can save a single image is taken just before (continuous shooting one last time, HDR photography is the standard exposure time) only."

[source: K-5?????????????PENTAX ]

To me that suggests if you're shooting JPEG and decide an image is a 'keeper' or would benefit from a bit of PP, you can save a RAW "after the fact" by writing the memory buffer to the SD card.

Perhaps not a game-changer (and not really of any use to me personally since I shoot RAW), but I can see how JPEG shooters might make use of the feature.

It's nice to see Pentax trying to introduce something new/different - I haven't heard of any other cameras that do this.

Adam
09-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
To me that suggests if you're shooting JPEG and decide an image is a 'keeper' or would benefit from a bit of PP, you can save a RAW "after the fact" by writing the memory buffer to the SD card.
Yes, nice feature but that was first implemented on the K20D if I'm not mistaken.
09-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #375
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Yes, nice feature but that was first implemented on the K20D if I'm not mistaken.
I think it only applied to a preview digital shot, and it would only save in the format already selected.
Closed Thread