Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
What ever happened to your previous chestnuts?:
- bigger VF (although that advantage may disappear with the rise of EVF)
- better noise control by about 1.3 stops (but it may get to the point where this small advantage may not matter anymore)
- better DOF control, that one is pure physics you cannot overcome it.
They unfortunately don't apply in practice for MF...

- After a point the VF size has its limits. Too big and it makes the eye too much scanning.
- The better noise control is theorically feasible for MF but no manufacturer really bothers developing a modern CMOS MF sensor. And the 645D sensor is only 44x33mm, not the full 56x41mm.
- MF lenses, as I said, are not available in f/2, f/1.4 etc. Most of them offer f/2.8 at best.

09-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #392
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
After a point the VF size has its limits. Too big and it makes the eye too much scanning.
I agree. I personally think that the VF in the K1000 and Super Program are just fine. If the K-5 boasted that sort of VF, I'd be more than happy- but that would pretty much require it to have a full-frame mirror (and if Pentax goes back to that like they did in the *ist D, then they might as well throw a full-frame sensor in there). The MX viewfinder (Pentax's biggest in a 35mm camera), on the other hand, is MUCH too big, and is almost a pain to use. The APS-C viewfinders are very comfortable to the eye, but could certainly be bigger. I guess we shouldn't be complaining, though, because most DSLRs like the K-5 don't have a viewfinder that covers 100% of the frame!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mohawk Quote
==================================

$9,999.00
09-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
Ash, it's the sole reason I still have my K10... doesn't mean I want to carry it everywhere as a hefty extra to the k-x
===================================

I still love my K10D. It WILL stay in the family. I have done some very fun HD and bracketing with it.

My K-x will probably be stationed in the car for quick photo ops.

I'm boycotting the K5 prices.

(For at least a year)

09-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #395
Veteran Member

Ash, it's the sole reason I still have my K10... doesn't mean I want to carry it everywhere as a hefty extra to the k-x

A flagship body three generations newer should be able to do it both cleaner and with more resolution... or at the very least give the photographer the control/choice.
For me it's one of two reasons I still have the K10. The other has been laziness.

However, I probably would have had more motivation to sell the K10 if it weren't for the fact that every time there is a fireworks show, I'm glad I didn't sell it.

And I agree - having to go two generations back to get acceptable performance in certain situations is silly. Three generations is just plain unacceptable.
09-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #396

Photos: Gallery
I use the K10D for long exposures at night all the time (I just uploaded two this week in fact)... and I'm pretty happy with it except for one thing: the color gradients of the sky can sometimes be blotchy or be slightly posterized. I find it especially noticeable when it is foggy out. I shoot in RAW and I have to be very careful when doing any kind of curve/level/color adjustment that might increase the unevenness that is there even in the RAW. I'm aware that some of the noticeable color transitions are inherent in the 16-to-8 bit conversion when creating .jpgs at the end of the editing process. And some could just be user error (me).

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how the K5 does on night exposures once I upgrade in a few months.

Bob

Last edited by bats; 09-27-2010 at 09:30 AM.
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #397
Veteran Member

A flagship body three generations newer should be able to do it both cleaner and with more resolution... or at the very least give the photographer the control/choice.
I have both a K20D and a K10D

The long exposure quality of the K10D is no worse than the K20D. I bought the K10D after the K20D tio have a 2nd body to avoid swapping lenses. But having a body which doesn't force the hideous Dark Frame annoyance is great.

The Dark Frame is the worst experience of my K20D

09-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #398
Forum Member

Hello, dpreview report about K5 drive modes
Continuous Hi: 7 fps, up to 40 Best JPEG frames, 15 images RAW*
Continuous Lo: 3.3 fps, JPEG until card is full, 17 images RAW*
Pentax K-5 Preview: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review
09-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #399
Veteran Member

Gotta disagree with Adam. I love the MX viewfinder.
09-29-2010, 06:15 AM   #400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zorroz Quote
Hello, dpreview report about K5 drive modes

Pentax K-5 Preview: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review
==============================

DPreview is showing this current K5 street pricing.

• $1600 body only, $1750 with 18-55mm kit lens

• £1200 with 18-55mm kit lens, £1300 with 18-55mm and 50-200mm, £1700 with 18-135mm

Amazon opening K5 pricing:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&tag=dpreviewbuybox-2...s=Pentax%20K-5

K5 BODY ONLY - $1,599.95
K5 with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black) - $1,749

Last edited by Rite; 09-29-2010 at 06:24 AM.
09-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #401
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
==============================

DPreview is showing this current K5 street pricing.

• $1600 body only, $1750 with 18-55mm kit lens

• £1200 with 18-55mm kit lens, £1300 with 18-55mm and 50-200mm, £1700 with 18-135mm

Amazon opening K5 pricing:

Amazon.com: Include Out of Stock - Pentax K-5: Electronics

K5 BODY ONLY - $1,599.95
K5 with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black) - $1,749

Its not on the street yet so there is no current street price. BH and Adorama are showing the MSRP on the pre-orders. Pentax Imaging is listing the same price as BH and Adorama and its probably that the price ends up being less than the Pentax Imaging price.
09-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its not on the street yet so there is no current street price. BH and Adorama are showing the MSRP on the pre-orders. Pentax Imaging is listing the same price as BH and Adorama and its probably that the price ends up being less than the Pentax Imaging price.
The question is if Pentax USA wants to stay with their MSRP when other parts of the world accept to compete with the D7000 MSRP. Sometimes, they do this (K2000D aka K-m, DA 35 Macro) and then they wonder why they don't sell and ship inventory over to Europe. This has happened with the K-m which sold well in Europe and later received the US inventory (as could easily been seen by the product name).

So, sometimes Pentax USA just want to fail. Big chance for grey imports, of course

My message to Pentax USA: I told you (in my blog) that the APSC segment of the SLR enthusiast market slowly crawls down to the $1000 mark. It's now half the way down from $1500 where it was last Photokina. And it will be below $900/$1000 next Photokina. If you want to continue to sell $1500 products (which your Japanese bean counters certainly request you to do) then you need an upstream product. Either a full frame EVIL, a full frame SLR, an APSC SLR with hybrid viewfinder (like Fujy X100), or an APSC EVIL with blazingly fast contrast AF capable of fast AF.C (a difficult but not impossible challenge). The Sony SLT approach gives you an idea although I don't like it personally. But don't be ignorant by sticking to your plan. I know, it hurts. But it is the pain which makes you learn your lesson. Better learn fast. The competition doesn't sleep.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-29-2010 at 10:25 AM.
09-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, Falk. An APS-C camera for $1500 makes no sense when full-frame is $2000. I sure know which I'd save for, and I am not one of those FF whiners.
09-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #404
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The question is if Pentax USA wants to stay with their MSRP when other parts of the world accept to compete with the D7000 MSRP. Sometimes, they do this (K2000D aka K-m, DA 35 Macro) and then they wonder why they don't sell and ship inventory over to Europe. This has happened with the K-m which sold well in Europe and later received the US inventory (as could easily been seen by the product name).

So, sometimes Pentax USA just want to fail. Big chance for grey imports, of course

My message to Pentax USA: I told you (in my blog) that the APSC segment of the SLR enthusiast market slowly crawls down to the $1000 mark. It's now half the way down from $1500 where it was last Photokina. And it will be below $900/$1000 next Photokina. If you want to continue to sell $1500 products (which your Japanese bean counters certainly request you to do) then you need an upstream product. Either a full frame EVIL, a full frame SLR, an APSC SLR with hybrid viewfinder (like Fujy X100), or an APSC EVIL with blazingly fast contrast AF capable of fast AF.C (a difficult but not impossible challenge). The Sony SLT approach gives you an idea although I don't like it personally. But don't be ignorant by sticking to your plan. I know, it hurts. But it is the pain which makes you learn your lesson. Better learn fast. The competition doesn't sleep.
BH and Adorama prices are usually at least 15 to 20% below Pentax Imaging. The only thing I buy from Pentax Imaging is the m42 adapter. My point was however, that there isn't currently a U.S. street price because no one has it in stock yet.
09-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #405
Veteran Member

I can say with pretty good certainty, based on my scant contacts, that Pentax USA do not have US pricing info yet.

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 09-29-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Closed Thread