Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #466
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,407
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
My prediction of $1399 US street price is looking ever more likely.
Yes, and thinking of historical real prices it could well be even less

But in the case of K-5 competition might dictate the actual price. We have here quite similar prices for both D7000 and K-5..

10-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #467
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
No! You forgot to exclude the VAT and import duties!


EDIT: I just found out that importing just one camera body (+ max one lens with it) does not require import duty, just the VAT, so the doller price would actually be like this:

1289 (incl. VAT) / 1.23 * 1.3854 = ca. $1420 (excl. taxes)

For every additional lens we would have pay a 6.7% duty.
===============================

1289 / $1,420 would be a much more realistic intro price.

Thanks
10-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #468
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Yes, and thinking of historical real prices it could well be even less

But in the case of K-5 competition might dictate the actual price. We have here quite similar prices for both D7000 and K-5..
===================================

Branding is problematic when pricing the K5 compared to the D7000. IF Pentax wants to compete head-to-head, it can't price the K5 more than the D7000, IMO.

Nikon just has too much market influence. Pentax can overcome that with competitive pricing and market penetration.
10-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #469
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
===================================

Branding is problematic when pricing the K5 compared to the D7000. IF Pentax wants to compete head-to-head, it can't price the K5 more than the D7000, IMO.

Nikon just has too much market influence. Pentax can overcome that with competitive pricing and market penetration.
To penetrate the market Pentax must do something.... Competitive pricing hasn't done much in the past, or so it seems...

10-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #470
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
To penetrate the market Pentax must do something.... Competitive pricing hasn't done much in the past, or so it seems...
=====================================

The K5 IS an excellent product. It has great features, and the weather resistance one is second-to-none.

But how many potential camera buyers will be swayed to purchase a camera costing several hundred more for weather resistance?

This is the toughest world market since the Great Depression, and the $100~$250 (depending on the market) Pentax will charge for the K5 over it's direct competition (we know who that is) is enough to sink the K5, IMO.

It comes down to keeping your doors open, or closing them.
10-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #471
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
This is the toughest world market since the Great Depression, and the $100~$250 (depending on the market) Pentax will charge for the K5 over it's direct competition (we know who that is) is enough to sink the K5, IMO.

It comes down to keeping your doors open, or closing them.
Make it more expensive than it is and call it "exclusive".... Contrary to popular belief and the current economic situation, that will sell a lot, maybe not really as much as "cheap"but with far more profit overall.
10-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #472
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
This is the toughest world market since the Great Depression
The world market does fine.
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #473
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somerset, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 629
Has anyone specifically asked a pentax employee about the possibility of turning off sdm and using screwdrive instead?

I don't really understand the improvements to autofocus if my most expensive lens can't make use of the improvements...

10-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #474
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 869
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
=====================================

The K5 IS an excellent product. It has great features, and the weather resistance one is second-to-none.

But how many potential camera buyers will be swayed to purchase a camera costing several hundred more for weather resistance?

This is the toughest world market since the Great Depression, and the $100~$250 (depending on the market) Pentax will charge for the K5 over it's direct competition (we know who that is) is enough to sink the K5, IMO.

It comes down to keeping your doors open, or closing them.
Depression and high prices in america dosent mean that we got a problem in our economy. The world is not USA
10-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #475
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Depression and high prices in america dosent mean that we got a problem in our economy. The world is not USA
There's also quite a lot of trouble in the European economy, to be fairPIGS and all that, plus Hungary.
10-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #476
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 869
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
There's also quite a lot of trouble in the European economy, to be fairPIGS and all that, plus Hungary.
Difference is, these countries are doing things to get there economy on track, what are FED doing? Printing more money...
10-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #477
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Pentax K-7 | MZ-5n | Super Program | MX | Nikon D700
==================================

The acceptance (and success) of the K5 really does come down to how well it is received in the United States, at least for us Americans.

I see you have feet in both camps with the K-7 and D700.

If the K5 is more than $200 than the D7000, which way would you lean if you decided to upgrade from the K-7?
10-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #478
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
==================================

The acceptance (and success) of the K5 really does come down to how well it is received in the United States, at least for us Americans.

I see you have feet in both camps with the K-7 and D700.

If the K5 is more than $200 than the D7000, which way would you lean if you decided to upgrade from the K-7?
K-5's already on the way.
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #479
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
K-5's already on the way.
===============================

OK. I am not going to be an early tester, but would appreciate a few pings as you get your first impressions.

Are you keeping your K-7?
10-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #480
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
===============================

OK. I am not going to be an early tester, but would appreciate a few pings as you get your first impressions.

Are you keeping your K-7?
Depends on how well I like the K-5, but based on the spec sheet I see no reason to keep it with the K-5 in the stable.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adjustment, approx, color, display, flash, image, k-5, mode, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D7000 officially announced! JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 41 10-04-2010 02:30 PM
NEW DFA100 macro WR ANNOUNCED officially ogl Pentax News and Rumors 8 12-09-2009 10:38 PM
Nikon D90 officially announced Gus Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 37 09-07-2008 03:43 PM
Tokina Makro 35mm f2.8 ("the ugly") officially announced blende8 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 11-18-2007 05:50 AM
DA* Lenses Officially Announced roscot Pentax News and Rumors 22 03-17-2007 07:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top