Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #481
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bergerac, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 67
I'm pretty much decided that I am not going to buy this body. It's much the same price here as a 7D, but with added handicap of being too bl**dy small.

I'm not going to buy any new body for a while, not until the dust has settled, but I'm not trading up from a K20D for 2mp and some high ISO improvements (I rarely shoot above ISO 400). Video is just a pointless add on to me.

I want to get the better resolution offered by FF bodies like the Sony A900, Nikon 700D and Canon 5D ll. Most of these bodies will, I suspect, be replaced or upgraded in the next 12 months.

I know that technically much higher resolution will be available in an APS-C body in the not too distant future, but if that future is too long in coming, or Pentax do not produce a FF body then it will have to be a system change for me.

I admit my camera fund is burning a hole in my pocket somewhat, but I'll just have to resist

10-15-2010, 04:57 AM   #482
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,641
QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
I'm not going to buy any new body for a while, not until the dust has settled, but I'm not trading up from a K20D for 2mp and some high ISO improvements (I rarely shoot above ISO 400). Video is just a pointless add on to me.

I want to get the better resolution offered by FF bodies like the Sony A900, Nikon 700D and Canon 5D ll. Most of these bodies will, I suspect, be replaced or upgraded in the next 12 months.
The good news is the K-5 produces far more than a 2MP difference over the K20.
Not to mention the amazing DR it will have in contrast to the competition(even FF).

However, that's not to say it's the right camera for you either considering it's size etc...
10-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #483
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
I'm pretty much decided that I am not going to buy this body. It's much the same price here as a 7D, but with added handicap of being too bl**dy small.

I admit my camera fund is burning a hole in my pocket somewhat, but I'll just have to resist
==============================

That's what I've been saying about how the K5 competition's pricing being close to the K5. For example the 7D is only $200 more than the K5. People who have waited for the K-7 replacement, after seeing this could easily go in the upwards direction as well as the downwards direction, price-wise.

Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black) by Pentax
Buy new: $1,749.95


Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens by Canon
Buy new: $1,899.00

Last edited by Rite; 10-15-2010 at 03:57 PM.
10-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #484
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
If you think the K-7/K-5 is too small, get the grip. Makes it the perfect size for me, and I have pretty big hands. My grip has hardly left my K-7 since I bought it, except to change batteries. The K-7 has the best ergonomics of any dSLR I've ever used (K100D, K20D, K-x, D700, 40D).

10-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #485
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
==============================

That's what I've been saying about how the K5 competition's pricing being close to the K5. For example the 7D is only $200 more than the K5.

Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black) by Pentax
Buy new: $1,749.95


Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens by Canon
Buy new: $1,899.00
??
$200 more? Afraid I don't get your logic there. Can you please explain?

First the difference in your two example bundles is only USD149.05, not USD200.

Second, using 18-55 v 18-135 makes your comparison apples and oranges, in favour of the Canon package being cheaper actually!
(nb: I used Adorama US for the respective lens $$ comparisons, which is always similar to Amazon prices anyway)

So I wonder how many others would agree with me that C.7D, taken objectively, is easily the better deal at present, esp. from some of the more savage discounting outlets out there -- which never seem to take their razors to offer less popular Pentax stuff anyway.

I smell K-5 dropping several 100s sooner than later, probably by Xmas or not long after.
Else they'll gather dust on retailer shelves and warehouses.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-15-2010 at 10:37 PM.
10-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #486
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
??
$200 more? Afraid I don't get your logic there. Can you please explain?

First the difference in your two example bundles is only USD149.05, not USD200.

Second, using 18-55 v 18-135 makes your comparison apples and oranges, in favour of the Canon package being cheaper actually!
(nb: I used Adorama US for the respective lens $$ comparisons, which is always similar to Amazon prices anyway)

So I wonder how many others would agree with me that C.7D, taken objectively, is easily the better deal at present, esp. from some of the more savage discounting outlets out there -- which never seem to take their razors to offer less popular Pentax stuff anyway.

I smell K-5 dropping several 100s sooner than later, probably by Xmas or not long after.
Else they'll gather dust on retailer shelves and warehouses.

.R.
===================================

I used those two price comparisons in an upward price comparison $200 RANGE difference, comparing the K5 opening price with the competition's mid-range professional series cameras. In this case, the Canon 7D.

I have used Pentax for thirty years, and have a K10D and K-x. These cameras work just fine for me.

The recently added HD video feature being included in cameras are causing some to think about another upgrade, or to buy into one of these cameras that have a solid body with very competent HD video built in if they are just going into the market.

The K5 / 7D is a good comparison.

For example, ALL of those viewing this thread are either Pentaxians, or have been in the past. Meaning, they know about the K5 and view it as either the first or close first in their next purchase.

I fall into that category.

However, for the discretionary NEW buyer NOT ever having owned a Pentax, and who has no current investment in Pentax gear, there is no COMPELLING reason to go with the K5.

I base that strictly on price comparison and features of cameras already on the market and several that will break into the market within days of the K5.

Does that make sense?
10-16-2010, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #487
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
===================================

For example, ALL of those viewing this thread are either Pentaxians, or have been in the past. Meaning, they know about the K5 and view it as either the first or close first in their next purchase.

I fall into that category.

However, for the discretionary NEW buyer NOT ever having owned a Pentax, and who has no current investment in Pentax gear, there is no COMPELLING reason to go with the K5.

I base that strictly on price comparison and features of cameras already on the market and several that will break into the market within days of the K5.

Does that make sense?
Yes, now that you explain that the (current) K-5 pricing could only be acceptable to real hard-core Pentax owners, and that new buyers into the prosumer level would likely see far better value in going with other brands instead; it does make sense.
And I fully agree too btw.

Thanks for clarifying.

.R.
10-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #488
Forum Member
pureluck's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 69
Played with a pre-production version of the K5 today.

I was at the Abbotsford Photographic Seminar Saturday. The Pentax rep was there and had a "Pre-Production" model of the K5 on display. Everything works, it's just not guaranteed to be identical to the final release version. All I can say is both my K20D's are going up on Craigslist, and I will be getting a K5 in two weeks when they are available. The shutter is almost silent, and ooh so fast. The autofocus seems to be improved over what I'm used to with the K20D, but it's just and impression from a couple of shots in a gymnasium. Will need to play with it in the wild to be sure. Anyways, I'm sold. Too many Pentax lenses and misc other toys to consider anything else.

10-17-2010, 12:11 AM   #489
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,731
Of course a good reason for going to the K-5 is Pentax glass. Anyone just shopping for a body will find no compelling reason to buy a K-5. But Pentax enthusiasts as well as discerning enthusiasts not aligned to any system but do their homework will find the K-5 being a decent body they can get decent lenses for at a significantly cheaper price than with any other brand.

So even for the seemingly 'better value' the 7D may have over the K-5, anyone interested in glass beyond kit lenses will quickly see the better value Pentax can offer, and the K-5 won't be such a bad choice after all.
10-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #490
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,276
I think any serious new buyer of either the K-5, D7000 or 7D (or any other camera in the same league) who is mainly into still photography will be guided by:

(a) camera image quality according to the way the photographer mainly plans to use their camera; and then
(b) other camera features (handling, WR, video etc), price performance, and compatibility with existing/future investments in accessories, lenses etc.

In terms of (a), a prudent buyer would recognise that the jury is still out on the K-5 and D7000, until the likes of Imaging Resource, dpreview and DXO perform comprehensive, independent assessments of those camera's IQ, and provide a basis for meaningful comparisons between the cameras.

Only the results for the 7D are already in, from independent reviewers, and they paint a hardly impressive picture of the 7D's IQ, in terms of dynamic range, colour depth, high ISO and resolution. Even the K-x bests the 7D in many areas.

So it's way too early for anyone to call the K-5/D7000/7D race on behalf of the 7D, I think.
10-17-2010, 03:57 AM   #491
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Only the results for the 7D are already in, from independent reviewers, and they paint a hardly impressive picture of the 7D's IQ, in terms of dynamic range, colour depth, high ISO and resolution. Even the K-x bests the 7D in many areas.

So it's way too early for anyone to call the K-5/D7000/7D race on behalf of the 7D, I think.
===================================

I personally would opt for the K5 over the 7D for the reasons you point out.

The Nikon D7000 however is a totally different story.

The bottom line for ANY practical camera owner is IMAGE QUALITY at the best price available and with a camera that fits their shooting conditions needs.

Check out this D7000 review from a long-time Canon user:

QuoteQuote:
I waited for the D7000 over any other DSLR for one reason: Auto-Focus in video mode. It was worth the wait. I had almost dropped the $1,400 on the Canon 60D but hesitated because the 60D was dumbed down in many ways by Canon so as to not impede on 7D sales. Nikon went all out and demolished the need for the D300s, while making a DSLR worth having. The video mode allows you to run auto-focus while shooting, which no other DSLR has done to this point. Additionally, you can now shoot 1080p in 24 frames (23.97 actually) per second, which is cinema quality. Also, you can shoot up to 20 minutes of video in one shoot, versus only 12 minutes for the Canon 60D, T2i, and T1i. You may think you are buying the D7000 for photography only, but wait until you see what you can do with video. Being able to do DOF shooting makes the DSLR video even more valuable, allowing you to do things you would have to spend thousands on in a professional camera.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens
10-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #492
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
...
The Nikon D7000 however is a totally different story.

The bottom line for ANY practical camera owner is IMAGE QUALITY at the best price available and with a camera that fits their shooting conditions needs.

Check out this D7000 review from a long-time Canon user:
That "review" smells like a shill job to me.

Some observations:

1. The Amazon price on the page you provided for that D7000 + 18-105 kit shows "2 used from USD1,899", and no new ones available to [pre]order (?).

Strange, considering that the camera model isn't even released officially yet, so how can there already be 2nd hand ones on the market?

(Methinks Amazon has got slimier than fleaBay with many of the 3rd party listers they allow)

2. Naughty me then checked Adorama and they have the same D7000 + 18-105 kit listed, not s/h only new for preorder at USD1,499.95

I wonder if Ado (or B&H) might be willing to get a s/h one for 400 bucks more if you asked nicely?

3. The one reviewer's opening sentence is: "I won't go in to lots of words,"
Oh dear, alarms bells here don't you think? - and from then they go into a no less than 355 total words spiel.

And wow, has that person got the experience to back their words! The "I am so authoritative to comment, just listen to me ..." bit takes up most of the first paragraph! Not just long-time Canon user, but 8 Nikons under their belt as well.

4. The "review" goes on to concentrate mainly on the person's passion for video, spruiking it's video abilities esp the dynamic auto-focus, plus classic statements like "making a DSLR worth having".
(I've yet to read any serious long-time expert say that of DSLRs, it's usually the opposite with video the begrudging 'noobs feature' to be tolerated)

It makes scant mention of the camera's stills capabilities or appeal and features in that area.
In fact the word "video" appears 5 times.

Surely D7000 can take decent stills? And sorry, I didn't find anything in it to address your "The bottom line for ANY practical camera owner is IMAGE QUALITY" statement.
We're left wonder there - and may I ask why didn't those two pre-owners post some examples on the 'net? And why sell such a great camera so early in it's life? (like before release)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-17-2010 at 06:55 AM.
10-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #493
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
That "review" smells like a shill job to me.
There is absolutely nothing in the review to indicate the person might be a "shill" or otherwise disreputable. It is typical of the short reviews found on Amazon. Many people obtain a product elsewhere and then review it on Amazon before availability there. All the statements they make about the camera are true, AFAIK.

I think you lost your perspective somewhere. Before you disparage someone without cause think about the damage you might be doing.
10-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #494
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 909
I just checked the store where I pre ordered K-5 + 18-135.
Oh yes, the K-5 is more expensive than the D7000, not by one euro, not even by two but by a whopping 10 euros....
10-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #495
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 874
Any european delivery dates?
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adjustment, approx, color, display, flash, image, k-5, mode, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D7000 officially announced! JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 41 10-04-2010 02:30 PM
NEW DFA100 macro WR ANNOUNCED officially ogl Pentax News and Rumors 8 12-09-2009 10:38 PM
Nikon D90 officially announced Gus Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 37 09-07-2008 03:43 PM
Tokina Makro 35mm f2.8 ("the ugly") officially announced blende8 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 11-18-2007 05:50 AM
DA* Lenses Officially Announced roscot Pentax News and Rumors 22 03-17-2007 07:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top