Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #121
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW, ya'all see this?

Pentax K-5 Brief hands-on [dpreview]

Yeah.... I remember the days whey Pentax wouldn't even get a category in DPReview's run-down of Photokina or other show announcements.

09-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
BTW, yea's see this?

Pentax K-5 Brief hands-on [preview]

Yeah.... I remember the days whey Pentax wouldn't even get a category in DPReview's run-down of Photokina or other show announcements.

Yeah, it's really good. I love the custom NR per ISO setup,
haven't seen this anywhere. You can set it to OFF for all the lower ISOs
and gradually switch it on for the higher ones.
Quite smart.
09-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
BTW, ya'all see this?

Pentax K-5 Brief hands-on [dpreview]

I think Pentax has done a good job at the PR for both the K-r and K-5.

For the K-r it was the last release before the weekend which garnered top spot for 2 extra, high volume viewing days. That more than makes up for the press release being after Canikon.

And the K-5 is the last release for today, with simultaneous launches on many top review sites.

A few specs are dubious (as are translations), but none are close to deal-breaker exceptfor the few fanatical nut-busters right here in this nuthouse of a forum

All-in-all, a good PR effort by Pentax worldwide.

Only the Fuji announcement has taken away the effort, and that was unexpected. For Pentax that's almost a good thing because it gets people away from the Canikon/M43 marketing tunnel vision, to have other brands stir the pot.
09-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #124

Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see part of the specs mentioned/discussed at all:

"AF fine adjustment(+/- 10 steps, uniformal or individual adjustement)"

Individual adjustment - Does that mean per lens?

Thanks,

Adam

09-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #125
Veteran Member

I think we should wait until more details come out to be sure, but I have a feeling the K-5's video will be the main and only disappointment about this release for a camera of this type and class. It's like Pentax builds a camera and then goes, "Oh man, forgot we had to put in video." and then comes out with something that feels rushes. Not a deal breaker for me but it is a missed opportunity for them.
09-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #126

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm, i am very pleased about the specs of the K-5. Since I was considering going FF (low light was the only reason), this might change my opinion. Hope that video has auto-focus...

And I am very excited about the reviews of the new lens, especially the speed of the new motor!
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #127

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
My two cents:

If the biggest complaint you naysayers can come up with is a typo in the spec sheet I'd say Pentax has done a pretty good job here. It looks to me that Pentax has addressed every perceived shortcoming the K-7 had and produced a camera that can run with the best APS-C cameras from Nikon and Canon.

Combined with a WR 18-135, I don't think the K-5's competitors can touch it. Add some Limited primes and I know they can't.

Pete
It does look good on paper. I for one won't buy one because it's not full frame, but for those who want a crop sensor it looks pretty good. Both it and the 18-135 are untested so who knows what the actual IQ will be like.

Too bad Nikon has already surpassed the k5 in many ways with the d7000. 39 focus points, 2016 pixel metering, dual card slots, etc. They already had good clean high ISO and fast focus so hopefully Pentax has made some serious improvements in these areas. Things like more focus points and dual slots are things that Pentax needs to step up and include. When shooting 7 frames a second, using SD cards you need 2 of them to keep up, or change the cameras to use faster CF cards instead.

09-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
Individual adjustment - Does that mean per lens?
Yes, like in the K20D and K-7 before.
09-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #129
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
It looks like a very, very nice camera (in fact I'm pretty sure I'll want to upgrade my K-7 when the price comes down a bit), but...

... where's the hybrid viewfinder ?
... where's the "stabilized AF sensor" ?
... whats the rumoured "killer feature" ?

Once again, the pre-release hype was well beyond reality. Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that "C. W. Torotes"'s (sp?) messages/thread have all disappeared, and his account seems to have been deleted ?
Gosh if you can't see the killer features...time to get some glasses..
09-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #130
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I think we should wait until more details come out to be sure, but I have a feeling the K-5's video will be the main and only disappointment about this release for a camera of this type and class. It's like Pentax builds a camera and then goes, "Oh man, forgot we had to put in video." and then comes out with something that feels rushes. Not a deal breaker for me but it is a missed opportunity for them.
...And I remember the day -- and it was not that long ago -- when almost everyone, and I'll repeat to stress, almost everyone was saying "why would I want video in a SLR style camera? ...[explainations omitted for brevity]... I'll buy a purpose built video camera if I want to shoot video. ... "
09-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #131
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Does the K-5 support 14 bit Raw?
yes going by the spec sheet
09-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #132
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
It does look good on paper. I for one won't buy one because it's not full frame, but for those who want a crop sensor it looks pretty good. Both it and the 18-135 are untested so who knows what the actual IQ will be like.

Too bad Nikon has already surpassed the k5 in many ways with the d7000. 39 focus points, 2016 pixel metering, dual card slots, etc. They already had good clean high ISO and fast focus so hopefully Pentax has made some serious improvements in these areas. Things like more focus points and dual slots are things that Pentax needs to step up and include. When shooting 7 frames a second, using SD cards you need 2 of them to keep up, or change the cameras to use faster CF cards instead.
who cares about NIKON...get real
09-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The D7000 is the one with the plastic front with the mount attached to it. The K-5 has the magnesium front.
The K-5 (and k-7) has a magnesium front with a big hole in the front that is larger then the lens mount. The actual mount is attached to some plastic inside the magnesium shell, or so it seems by judging from the photos of a naked K-5.
09-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #134
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
how is Pentax carrying the reputation of losing value deeply and immediately good for its brand or its sales?

That's right this camera is up in the 7d and 300ds league not the 7000... the kr is actually more in the 7000 range just like the kx was in the 3100 and5000 range and the km was for 3000 and d60
09-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
earth to pentax marketing....
breaker... breaker...

Where is Pentax's marketing?
Uh...yeah. Didn't they just hire a company to do their marketing? One would have thought they'd be all over this release. IF they were responsible for this video, then I think Pentax needs to get someone else to do their marketing.

Don't get me wrong - I found the video informative and helpful (and yes I want one), but there's been at least one commercial on TV that I saw recently that was recorded using the camera that was being sold. When I compare the two, Pentax's doesn't portray the image I want my company to portray.
Closed Thread