Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here are the thoughts of the guy who made the video
Two thumbs-up for you!
Here's a translated(English) page: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&...rUrl=Translate

09-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
you can adjust the K-5's AF points?
No, that is a screen to choose between 11 and 5 points for the "Full auto AF" mode.
09-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #63
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here are the thoughts of the guy who made the video:

Connection Problems
Please, inform us with solid specs...
09-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #64
raz

Another mistakes that I see is the video mode 1960x1080 instead of 1920

09-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Please, inform us with solid specs...
Taken from Babel Fish translation:
QuoteQuote:
Good, thanks to It reflects, I have been able to prove during days a unit of the Pentax K-5. The analyzed unit, is a unit PRELIMINARY SERIES, which is not final, nor this to the 100% of the benefits of the K-5 which they will leave finally on sale. The version of Firmware that it has is the 0,10, which says much of her.

Even so, concerning a unit Preliminary series, the high frequency has surprised me especially. The question that all deseais to know is: really it improves the high frequency of the K-5 with respect to the K-7? The answer clearly is IF, and enough. I work daily with the K-7 since she left the past year and I know very well where they are the S.A. limits. The high frequency of the Pentax k-5, is superior and responds better than the K-7, even in situations, approximately 2 lower steps EV. Where I have noticed a really important improvement is in the continuous approach (AF-C) getting almost to duplicate the capacity of AF-C of k-7. Here you can see a video I compare where them testing with the K-5 two: one with AF-C, priority to burst and another one with priority to approach.

In the video you can see the test that realises inside a room, with natural light and which I repeated several times. I have realised a circular route following the furniture of the room including the camera that was recording. This era the most complex point because it required refocuses ample, furthermore was to backlighting, furthermore the machine that records video, was to 1.5 meters whereas the wall by which it crossed the approach was to about 3 meters. In this case, the K-5 nailed the approach and followed with the burst, whereas the K-7 was clogged in all the tests and was the point that cost to him more. Here it is the video:

QuoteQuote:
Step to give my opinion in several aspects of the camera:

Approach: The sensations with the camera in the hands, proving and shooting photos and like already I have commented, it is that the approach is more nervous than the K-7, and doubts less, especially with little light. Therefore I have to say that new SAFOX IX+ is a positive advance with respect to the previous version of the K-7 SAFOX VIII+ I am not going to enter comparing with other cameras and if one does or is better or is worse…, which if, one is that k-5 has what we took " pidiendo" for a long time, a more precise high frequency, and than responds better in situations with less light. However, the analyzed camera is a unit preliminary series, and is to hope that the final units of sale are even better than this proven unit. Also the approach in live-view, has improved even more, bought with the K-7 even with firmware 1,10 that already improved, because now it is even better even.

As far as approach precision, I have realised a hundred of photos and I have not detected problems; better than the K-7. Noise: Truth photos that I have realised and that I cannot publish since she was one of the conditions, seemingly, is at least of 2 to 3 passages over k-7. Despite this unit like they have informed to me, it is not trustworthy because it is a PRELIMINARY SERIES, and that firmware is one of the first beta versions, reason why I will not come to test of noise until not having a final unit. Despite esteem a very important important advance with respect to the K-7 in the control of the Noise, surpassing itself or at least equaling even to k-x. This podre to affirm better when it has a final unit, but as I say I observe a very good control high ISOS.

Construction: Since to say of its construction, that he is " igual" to the K-7, for me a camera with an incredible construction, with an ergonomics, for which they have small hands is perfect and for which we have great hands, because with grip (grip), he is " perfecta". All the accessories of the K-7 are worth for the K-5, and little but I can say of a design and good construction known by all. Like constructive detail to indicate that the gearshift of high frequency, now has a more ergonomic design, and a more robust tact, with a more precise drive, since in the K-7, the points where it changed of AF-S to AF-C and MF, they did not finish being defined well, and was complicated to drive it without watching, now the K-5 if it has a better tact, and can be exchanged completely without information only with the tact, in case of being necessary.

Stopper: The K-5 continues maintaining a smooth and quiet equal clogging of that the K-7, in spite of to have raised 7 f.p.s. Video Now the K-5 incorporates video Full HD to 1960x1080, point that in the K-7 did not arrive, and was one beats for the lovers of the video that did not record to Full HD the K-7, point surpassed by this new K-5 Other improvements:

HDR: Then the camera I bring a good list of small and great improvements, among them for example likes the following one:
HDR with aligned car of images: This option that stops many is not useful, for example it saves much work to me. In the K-7 it is a function that I have used much photography of interiors and exteriors, realising especially panoramic 360ºx180º. Function HDR allowed to divide me almost by 3 the work, but the HDR of the K-7 had a problem and was that sometimes in spite of using a tripod and a panoramic lozenge, doubles were generated images because did not realise car-aligned, that now is thing of the past… thanks to the fact that the K-5 incorporates that function.
User ways: The camera allows to create 5 configurations of User, to even give a name them. This function is very useful, since it allows you to have different levels and customized configurations from work for a fast access.
Reduction of noise: Although the used unit is not complete as far as options of noise reduction, the new K-5 allows to manifolds configurations, allowing to deactivate it, or to even form different levels in function from each value of ISO.

I hope to have a final unit to be able to even value better the work of the camera referring to the parameters of NR reduction. Aspects to improve: Like everything, nothing is not perfect, and the K-5 either, although almost, to improve, the unique points to improve in future models, or by means of some update of firmware (if outside possible) they serian in my opinion, a little more buffer, since in burst in RAW " solo" it can do 8 followed photos without sd limits the speed of storage of the card, although the truth to that really interests to him to work the burst, my advice, is that it works in JPG, since can be an authentic suplicio to have to work with hundreds or thousands of photos, almost equal of burst of some event, in RAW, to the weight that they have with 16 Mpx.

The second aspect that can be improved, is the speed of synchronization of the flash in manual that continues being 1/180, although on the other hand to the lovers of the illumination with Flash us " regalan" half passage of light to the power to work to ISO 80. Also I say as a reflection, speaking from my experience in many of sessions in exteriors that I have realised with flash, that in spite of the limit of synchronization of 1/180, I have been able to realise without no problem all type of takings with flash, even most complex at luminance level even with direct backlightings with the sun within the frame to the hours with but light. That means step, from 1/180 to 1/250, are not so important, I only hope that in the future he is saveable, or that way HSS, allows to a use manual of the power.

EXIF: PENTAX - PENTAX K-7 - 23.13mm - 1/60s - f/7.1 - ISO: 400 - Flash: Y

QuoteQuote:
Final conclusions: Finally, I have to say that Pentax has developed on the base of the K-7 a great camera of PROFESSIONAL scope, that corrects, improvement and advances forwards, many aspects of the K-7 This new K-5 can consider all complete, resistant, robust a camera professional, practices and functional, since if you require an equipment " small and ligero" , combination with the Limited lenses, one becomes a very light and powerful equipment, and if you require " robustness and tamaño" you can incorporate grip to him Vg-4 becoming a machine with a perfect ergonomics, a very robust machine. Also it is a machine with a good approach, precise express and, with a resolution of 16Mp, a very good control of noise to high ISOS, with good burst, etc… Like conclusion, we asked: Better high frequency More burst Better answer to high ISOS But resolution… Majors controls of noise reduction More options of configuration. etc, etc… All this and we found much more it in the Pentax K-5 A warm greeting…

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-20-2010 at 08:27 AM.
09-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
No, that is a screen to choose between 11 and 5 points for the "Full auto AF" mode.
Like the K-x. I hoped for this in the K-5, I think it's a nice option for AF-C.
09-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #67

25fps in 1080p mode really s@cks. Why not to do 24/25fps selection?

09-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
It appears that Pentax screwed up on the 12800 max specs on their official page. If you watch the first look video:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCee0R1sow[/YT]

Check at the 1:50 mark where Carolyn says it goes up to 12,800, but a blurb pops up with a Pentax logo, saying it is indeed expandable to 51,200.

They should really fix their official specs pretty quick, before more confusion sets in.
@ :51...Did he just say "pro-thusiast"?
09-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I think the source of the discrepancies is that the review sites have based their specs on the pre-production camera/firmware, and that things have changed in the meantime. I can't believe Pentax would mess up the official specs on their own website (although stranger things have happened), so for now I have to take them as the official ones (sorry Adam).

PS.: Strangely, the K-5 is not yet present on Pentax Japan's official website.
09-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
25fps in 1080p mode really s@cks. Why not to do 24/25fps selection?
I imagine this would be an easy firmware tweak. What I also find disappointing is that the CS Lo setting is set to 2fps. Why can't we set it to whatever we want? I'd prefer CS Lo to be 5fps. I have no need for 8fps, but 2fps is way, way too slow. This, again, seems to be easily changed in firmware.
09-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
@ :51...Did he just say "pro-thusiast"?
I really, really don't see why they even bother with these clips. All they do is make the brand look bad.
09-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #72
m8o
Veteran Member

On paper? This is such a "buy"!

So looking forward to low-light hi-ISO sample shots posted WITH MINIMAL PROCESSING AND NO NOISE REDUCTION APPLIED which should duplicate what I'll have to start with in the RAW; or just a link to the RAW so I can d/l it and try it out.

One thing about the resolution being so high. Only 720Gb left on my 2.3Tb RAID-6 array. Going to need to start deleting RAWs from the archive device soon.
09-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #73
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I think the source of the discrepancies is that the review sites have based their specs on the pre-production camera/firmware, and that things have changed in the meantime. I can't believe Pentax would mess up the official specs on their own website (although stranger things have happened), so for now I have to take them as the official ones (sorry Adam).

PS.: Strangely, the K-5 is not yet present on Pentax Japan's official website.
The specs came out today, but who knows when they were prepared. The Youtube video, which features the pop-up blurb saying ISO is indeed expandable to 51,200 was created on 9/17, but went public on Youtube today. I would say since the video was made 2-3 days ago, it must be the most updated, even over the specs, which could have been put together quite a long time ago, and they just added it to the site today.

Someone from Pentax needs to get on the site and confirm what is or isn't correct. Their video blurb and specs list simply do not match. 12,800 is a long way away from 51,200.

Until I see a hands on demo where someone actually shows the ISO setting as 51,200 on the LCD, I won't believe it just yet.
09-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #74
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
There are typos on other sites because Pentax made a typo in their press-release specsheet. Rest assured that all the info here is accurate: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/114233-pentax-k-5-a.html

NOTE: we will be clarifying the drive mode/buffer info shortly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #75
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
The specs came out today, but who knows when they were prepared. The Youtube video, which features the pop-up blurb saying ISO is indeed expandable to 51,200 was created on 9/17, but went public on Youtube today. I would say since the video was made 2-3 days ago, it must be the most updated, even over the specs, which could have been put together quite a long time ago, and they just added it to the site today.

Someone from Pentax needs to get on the site and confirm what is or isn't correct. Their video blurb and specs list simply do not match. 12,800 is a long way away from 51,200.

Until I see a hands on demo where someone actually shows the ISO setting as 51,200 on the LCD, I won't believe it just yet.
Stop saying that the max iso is 12800. It's 51200! Going to have to send you to time-out soon here tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread