Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Finally back on the Board as I've been keenly watching in hopes the K-5 will be my reason to upgrade my K20D for high ISO & improved AF where the K-7 didn't do it for me. Then again, maybe I'll ignore those bashing on pure spec and see how the camera ACTUALLY PERFORMS to make my judgement!

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Taken from Babel Fish translation:
A couple Babelfish translation problems are pretty easily guessed but to confirm them:

"The question that all deseais to know is: really it improves the high frequency of the K-5 with respect to the K-7? The answer clearly is IF, and enough."

"deseais" = "you want" and Spanish SI was clearly used in the sense of "YES", not "IF", hence:

The question that you all want to know is: does the K-5 really improve the high frequency with respect to the K-7? The answer is clearly YES, and enough.

09-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a good update (k-5) to a great camera (k-7). The Pros for me are...

*14bit raw
*Updated HDR (possible hand held use should be interesting)
*Night scene HDR (again should be interesting)
*Faster AF
*increased sensitivity (I'll take any increase i can get)
*cross processing feature sounds interesting
*retains K-7 form (which I like)

Cons...

Having to decide if I absolutely must have these upgrades. Having the k-7, I feel like i can wait a bit and see what happens in the market as far as prices are concerned...in the meantime I can decide whether or not to get rid of my k20 (which I was planning to have converted to dedicated IR) and perhaps a lens to make such a purchase a bit easier to swallow. I am sure glad as dslr users our primary investment is in our lenses.
09-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is NO discrepancy on the ISO, it goes up to 12800 and is EXPANDABLE up to 51600 on user request. This is similar to previous Pentax cameras, like the K20 where you can expand the ISO from 3200 to 6400 in the menue.
It is Pentax saying "we don't like it, but if you really want, you can go higher ..."
So, 12800 is what Pentax engineers think is justifiable, IMO.
09-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
It appears that Pentax screwed up on the 12800 max specs on their official page. If you watch the first look video:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCee0R1sow[/YT]

Check at the 1:50 mark where Carolyn says it goes up to 12,800, but a blurb pops up with a Pentax logo, saying it is indeed expandable to 51,200.

They should really fix their official specs pretty quick, before more confusion sets in.
I'm ok with having Pentax staff talk about the camera. They are not actors, so it feels less like an ad and more intimate, like talking to them at a trade show, for example. If they are going to extend this series, maybe have them respond to questions that people are asking on PentaxForums, on Twitter and on Facebook and Youtube. They could also release a new video at regular intervals going into detail about a particular aspect of the camera.

But I'd work on the lighting and the audio just a bit to make it more visually and aurally pleasing. It would also be nice to have one with Ned Bunnell talking more about the brand and where it is going.

One thing I would definitely do is turn off SR when the camera is on the tripod - I think that's causing the constant slight adjustment of the frame.

09-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #80
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
You know the forum can process translations too, right? Watch:

Una oracion en espanol.

The code for that is:

[lang=es]Una oracion en espanol.[/lang]

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #81
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
There is NO discrepancy on the ISO, it goes up to 12800 and is EXPANDABLE up to 51600 on user request. This is similar to previous Pentax cameras, like the K20 where you can expand the ISO from 3200 to 6400 in the menue.
It is Pentax saying "we don't like it, but if you really want, you can go higher ..."
So, 12800 is what Pentax engineers think is justifiable, IMO.
That is a theory. But theories need to be tested.
09-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax really needs to get there heads out of their marketing asses. DipReview has already done an alleged "hands on review" as per Lars Dumbassenstein. He seemed to miss the AF specs, ISO specs, and full HD specs. Plus, they left the K-5 and Pentax out of their poll. Ned and company either needs to do a better job of pandering to those clowns or stop pandering to them at all.
It's probably best if Pentax is left out of their poll. what good would be accomplished seeing it buried by interest in the D7000?

much less if Nikon releases a D700 FF replacement as expected, especially if it comes in sub $2k, dangerously close to K-5's misguided MSRP.

09-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #83
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
Finally back on the Board as I've been keenly watching in hopes the K-5 will be my reason to upgrade my K20D for high ISO & improved AF where the K-7 didn't do it for me.

Not me. I'm sure that K-5 can offer good AF and low noise till ISO3200/6400, but
I'm afraid that too much MP and the end IQ can't satisfy me...Like any camera with SONY CMOS sensor.

K-7 is last camera with beatiful IQ with CMOS sensor (colours, contrast, colours balance) IMO
09-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #84
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Stop saying that the max iso is 12800. It's 51200! Going to have to send you to time-out soon here :tongue:
I personally didn't say that. If the official Pentax site states a specification, and I was merely pointing out their quote, that's not me saying it.

I was the one who even pointed out how the Youtube video says it's 51,200. I'm not trying to hamper the facts from coming out, just reporting them.
09-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
It's probably best if Pentax is left out of their poll. what good would be accomplished seeing it buried by interest in the D7000?

much less if Nikon releases a D700 FF replacement as expected, especially if it comes in sub $2k, dangerously close to K-5's misguided MSRP.
Nikon is going to come out with a D700 FF replacement that is less than $2,000? That seems sort of impossible to me, but if they do that kudos to them.
09-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #86
Forum Member

meh

This K5 is a logical 'evolution' but nothing to rave about, especially considering price against competitors

cons for now (compared to the D7000)

- overpriced
- what's the point of a metal body when the mount itself is fixed on a plastic shell ?
- Where is predictive / 3d tracking ?
- still only 11 AF points
- No dual cards / no sdxc support
- motion jpeg avi video recording, come on h264 is here now
- no 24fps mode ?
- X-Sync speed have not evolved (still 1/180)
- viewfinder with less magnification than D7000 (.92 vs .94)
- no framing grid in the viewfinder
- only 2 self timer values vs 4
- no gps option
09-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Nikon is going to come out with a D700 FF replacement that is less than $2,000? That seems sort of impossible to me, but if they do that kudos to them.
purely my speculation if indeed the D7000 represents the union of the D90 and D300 lines as has been suggested. but that's Nikon, lets try and focus on Pentax for their Photokina moment, as small as it may turn out to be.
09-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #88
ogl
Banned

Questions:
1. buffer
2. battery
3. AF in video
4. real price in USA
09-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #89
Veteran Member

So Pentax launches a product with these two. Nikon launches their D7000 with Chase Jarvis having used the camera for months, shooting in the field, using it to create amazing images and video. Pentax has some great pros that use their gear, why not step up the efforts and let these folks help you with your launch. Sad sad sad.

But I will say that so far I like what I see. I also thought there would be some sample images released with the press kit or online like other camera brands do. Where are the image samples?
09-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #90
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
This K5 is a logical 'evolution' but nothing to rave about, especially considering price against competitors

cons for now (compared to the D7000)

- overpriced
- what's the point of a metal body when the mount itself is fixed on a plastic shell ?
- Where is predictive / 3d tracking ?
- still only 11 AF points
- No dual cards / no sdxc support
- motion jpeg avi video recording, come on h264 is here now
- no 24fps mode ?
- X-Sync speed have not evolved (still 1/180)
- viewfinder with less magnification than D7000 (.92 vs .94)
- no framing grid in the viewfinder
- only 2 self timer values vs 4
- no gps option
The D7000 is the one with the plastic front with the mount attached to it. The K-5 has the magnesium front.
Closed Thread