Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #151
Veteran Member

It looks like a nice camera, but only the comparative testing could prove it is worth to upgrade from K7.

09-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
It does look good on paper. I for one won't buy one because it's not full frame, but for those who want a crop sensor it looks pretty good. Both it and the 18-135 are untested so who knows what the actual IQ will be like.

Too bad Nikon has already surpassed the k5 in many ways with the d7000. 39 focus points, 2016 pixel metering, dual card slots, etc. They already had good clean high ISO and fast focus so hopefully Pentax has made some serious improvements in these areas. Things like more focus points and dual slots are things that Pentax needs to step up and include. When shooting 7 frames a second, using SD cards you need 2 of them to keep up, or change the cameras to use faster CF cards instead.
well, yes and no. cards go up to 64gb now, so that's a lotta pictures. I see your point, but in my mind the cards are a simple component. I still use my 16gb cards and have no issues. Keep in mind, I say that and have experience shooting with a K10D - so I haven't really had the opportunity to shoot pics at over twice as fast as I can now. Long story short - 2 card slots are not a deal breaker for me.
09-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #153

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
Guys what is this..? images Electronic Level In-finder display (horizontal only) .. and where is the IR things that we talked about before..?
That's probably the electronic equivalent of the equipment that you use to make sure the floors are level, the one with a bubble in the liquid, to ensure that the camera is aligned with the horizon and not a few degrees off to the left or the right. Remember how we often take photos of a sunset or a structure or a group of people that we have to rotate by 2 degrees to align the horizontal axis? This is supposed to prevent that.
09-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #154

The price point of the 18-135 is quite high, maybe it is just a really decent lens and they know it will sell

At least it is not the Tokina 16-135 rebranded, that would have been easier.
The Tokina for sure is not the greatest lens, but building a new one they probably improved.

The K-5 will be in my pocket latest end of november - we will see if it is attached to the 18-135 then. Can´t wait to put my fingers on it, end of this week when I visit the Photokina

09-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #155
Forum Member

Simple question: Can the K-5/K-7 be functionally submerged in water?
09-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
...that the very unfortunate button layout of the K-7 on the camera back is retained. This actually nullifies all advances in theoretical AF performance.
Unfortunately for you, you seem to be in the minority. All the review sites highly praise the K-7 for its excellent ergonomics.
09-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Well, it's finally here and it's amusing to see the haters are out already. Here is what I think:

Personally, I think this little camera is just what the doctor ordered as long as the price is right in the UK. For me, it's truly brilliant for the following reasons:

- Weathersealed, magnesium alloy body.

I want my camera to be able to suffer all sorts of abuse as it's close to the sea and sharp rocks on a regular basis. I dropped my K20D off of my tripod during high winds down on the coast and it bounced off rocks from about the heigh of 6 feet. Apart from cosmetic scratches, dents and nicks, it's still in one piece. I very much doubt any other APS-C camera (at that time) would have survived that abuse. As my EOS 7D is also magnesium alloy and weather sealed (the first non-pro Canon to be, afaik), this is what I have come to want out of a body and it's top marks to see the same in the K-5. I have much more confidence in the K-5's full suit of armour as opposed to the partial D7000. I need a solid camera for my work and the K-5 would give me that.

- That sensor

If it's the same Sony Exmor 16mp sensor (of very similar) to the Sony A55 (someone confirm?) then there is no doubt that the images are likely to be as good as rival APS-C based cameras at higher ISO. Clearly, we'll need to see samples from the reviews but it looks promising so far based on what I've seen from Sony A55 test samples, certainly a lot better than my K20D.

- Size and Weight

Being a 7D owner, I have well developed arm muscles by holding such a beast of a camera - make no mistake, the 7D is a big heavy camera. The K-5 gives me awesome-sauce image quality, impressive high ISO performance, rugged build quality and much improved AF in a small lightweight package. The size of the 7D suits my hand, so I much prefer the ergonomics, but as a travel body the K-5 could go with me places that I may be reluctant to lug along my 7D.

- Bracketing

The 7D bracketing is ropey, no support for five exposures which I do regularly for HDR urban work. From the blurb, the K-5 will allow 5 exposure bracketing and also rip through the images at 7 fps. When I was holiday in New York I did a lot of HDR work handheld, so the FPS of the K-5 will assist in this technique.

- Exposure compensation in Auto ISO mode.

7D still ain't got it, the K20D, K-7 and of course the K-5 all have it.

- Improved autofocus

As a K20D owner, the AF on the K20D is absolutely rubbish. I had a good play with the K-x the other day, it was nearly as rubbish. The 7D has blistering AF, particularly in AI Servo mode (AF-C in the Canon world) and it looks like the K-5 improves on the K-7. Whilst the 7D would still be my machine gun of choice, it's good to know that the K-5 has much improved AF over my older K20D. I'm looking forward to seeing comparison results when the first tests start to show.

What's not to love? If anyone so much as says "it's not FF", then I will reply with dry your eyes, the FF market is a tiny one that Canikon have stiched up; this K-5 has me passionate about Pentax again.

09-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
Simple question: Can the K-5/K-7 be functionally submerged in water?
Not if you want to take pictures afterward!

Seriously, it is a weather-resistant camera, not a waterproof one.
It can survive a down pour, but not a swim.
09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #159
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What sort of Frankencamera is that, a Canon 7D with a Nikon VR lens...?
At least I got the 'D' at the right end
09-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #160
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Not if you want to take pictures afterward!

Seriously, it is a weather-resistant camera, not a waterproof one.
It can survive a down pour, but not a swim.
If you shoot in the rain (not submerged) and the camera gets wet and shorts-out internally, will Pentax replace it for free?
09-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Unfortunately for you, you seem to be in the minority. All the review sites highly praise the K-7 for its excellent ergonomics.
The menus and the info screen is mainly good. The way AF points are selected is not. After about 50 000 frames with the K-7 and the same number with the K10D and k20D, plus numerous KM and Sony cameras I trust my judgment.

I don't think there's been any poll amongst users made on the subject.
09-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #162
Veteran Member

If you shoot in the rain (not submerged) and the camera gets wet and shorts-out internally, will Pentax replace it for free?
Ofcourse not. They can only do that if the WR is up to fixed standards, Which is almost impossible with a SLR where you can channge lenses. I don't think even Nikon offering that on the D3x or Canon on the 1 DsMkIIIfsub2.

The main problem of warranty against is that t will be very hard to see whether the damage was caused when a lens was mounted or when you were changing lenses.. Ofcourse it will be up to you to prove that and I doubt you ever could. So excluding water damage would prevent a lot of anger.
09-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt it. The good news is I can report using the K-7 with DA* lenses multiple times in heavy rain and having them work just fine during and afterward. (It is annoying to wipe the front of the lens off, though )
09-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
Yeah, it's really good. I love the custom NR per ISO setup,
haven't seen this anywhere. You can set it to OFF for all the lower ISOs
and gradually switch it on for the higher ones.
Quite smart.
Question is - can we kill auto-DFS?

This goes along with, "Exactly what is this new Night HDR mode?"

The K20D is useless for nighttime HDR due to forced auto-DFS, and the K-7 didn't improve on that flaw at all.
09-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
The menus and the info screen is mainly good. The way AF points are selected is not.
We're getting off-topic, but have you installed the firmware updates and set custom option 36. to "2. Select AF point preference" ? This makes the 4-way controller move the AF selection directly without needing to press "Ok" first. I don't see how that is different from the K10D & K20D.

Anyway, such things are very subjective.
Closed Thread