Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #196
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
So let's hope K-5's IQ will be little better than this. :ugh:

Warning: below link is a 4.7MB Sony A55 photo:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/producten/2639/testrapport/sony-a55-photo.jpg
How 'bout all the exceptional photographs that may have been posted and you sumarily discounted? So it took you 20 minutes of searching from the time someone answered your question to find a photo taken -- that seems to me -- to either be subject to some camera shake / or focused on nothing in particular, using a lens that suffers from purple fringing.... and from this, you think you can draw a conclusion?. :ugh:

Last edited by m8o; 09-20-2010 at 01:00 PM.
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This also intrigues me, but moreso regarding the difference between 14 and 12 bit RAWs, and what they mean in real life processing.
Well, I do expect the new camera to have excellent IQ. Clearly, they sacrificed some of the buffer in adding MP and making the RAW's 14 bits, but still wanted a high fps number to advertise (even if it was limited in depth).

Given the two continuous shooting numbers, my calculation indicates the buffer full rate will not be above 0.83fps.
09-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #198
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Well, I do expect the new camera to have excellent IQ. Clearly, they sacrificed some of the buffer in adding MP and making the RAW's 14 bits, but still wanted a high fps number to advertise (even if it was limited in depth).

Given the two continuous shooting numbers, my calculation indicates the buffer full rate will not be above 0.83fps.
This is a reasonable figure for 16Mp images, but it'd be more worthwhile having a larger total buffer size rather than just improving the data dump rate. That way there is a larger capacity for more continuous shooting at 7fps.
09-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Well if you want a serious RAW buffer you need:

.... but it'll cost you three times the money .

You know, now that I'm back reading a lot of the threads, the more I realise that there are quite a few of you that will never be happy with a Pentax body.

09-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #200
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
"Nikon will sell thousands more of their camera just because Chase Jarvis used it...
I think this will be partly true, but in the end Nikon, Canon, etc. will sell tens of thousands more of their cameras, simply because people will be able to walk into a BestBuy, Wal-Mart, HHGregg, etc. and actually be able to hold, try and buy one (with Wal-Mart prices, for example, probably being equivalent to online prices, aside from the added tax, of course).

You can have the greatest product in the world, but if people can't try it out and buy it "on the spot" at a reasonable price it's doomed. How many of you order a car from the factory without going to multiple brand dealers and trying each one's vehicles out first? Sure, a few (and I stress the word "few" when compared to overall lens brand ownership) will have a lot invested in Pentax glass and will not be so quick to jump brands, but with the cost advantage of Pentax now pretty much gone I can see a lot more people walking into a store one day for a new Blu-Ray player, seeing a D7000 sitting there on display... picking it up, playing with it.. and maybe flat-out leaving the store with one in tow.

What I really can't understand, for the life of me, is that Pentax sells on Walmart.com and Target.com, but not in stores where there is tremendous foot traffic and sales potential. This is probably the 100th time I've said this here on the forum... but I will continue to do so until Pentax actually makes an effort to try and sell its products.

Last edited by TiminyCricket; 09-20-2010 at 01:29 PM.
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #201
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Well if you want a serious RAW buffer you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sakYbpIvdUc

.... but it'll cost you three times the money .

You know, now that I'm back reading a lot of the threads, the more I realise that there are quite a few of you that will never be happy with a Pentax body.
I tried my friend's 1D Mark IV about a month ago... and was blown away by the responsiveness, burst rate, and high ISO quality. No matter how hard I tried I could not mange to only squeeze off a single shot with a button press. It was just THAT responsive. Then again... myself continuing to shoot a K10D I guess that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM - 4 Likes   #202

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
So this guy told me it won't have manual video controls.

Chat via: K-5 - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site then clicked on product support then chat.
This is awesome! i tried it out...

It took the guy 15 min to find out, but dark frame subtraction cannot be disabled for shots over 30 secs, so no change from the k-7 in that point.

Regarding tethering and Pentax Remote Assistant, both don't work with the k-5

Last edited by Alcazar; 09-20-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: forgot info
09-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #203
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote

It took the guy 15 min to find out, but dark frame subtraction cannot be disabled for shots over 30 secs, so no change from the k-7 in that point.

+rep to you for that!
thanx for the leg-work.
09-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #204

Hmm, I can only assume that the K-5 with it higher MP will only shine when using Pentax's LTD lenses, Not sure even the latest zooms will deliver the sharpness the K-5 needs.
Reason I think this is because over at diglloyd.com blog: September 2010 scroll down to the Nikon D7000 blurb, and I assume the K-5 will have the same issues.

"The new Nikon D7000 shows promise, but finding lenses that can deliver to a sensor with 4.7-micron photosites should prove an interesting challenge, certainly not something likely with most consumer zooms,"
09-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote

now that is amazingly disappointing...HoyaTax does not want me as a customer nor anyone else who needs and uses tethered shooting. Oh, well...that is that then.

Oh, and THANKS for taking the time to find out.
09-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #206
Veteran Member

No ability to turn off DFS? Hmmm, that's kind of frustrating.
09-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Stop saying that the max iso is 12800. It's 51200! Going to have to send you to time-out soon here :tongue:
I think the confusion is coming from the normal and extended ISO ranges.
The normal ISO range is 100-12800 indeed, the extended is 80-51200.

Normally, the extended range is one stop more only. Pentax boosts it two stops more. Let's hope that's it not pure marketing.
09-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #208

Can anyone think of their reasoning in NOT including tethering? I agree w/ the others that by now that should be a standard feature! I've been playing w/ time-lapse w/ my k-7 (w/3rd party remote/timer) and the ability to control that w/ my computer would be such a huge improvement!
The development costs in adding that couldn't be much at all, could it? No extra hardware.. just a bit of programming..
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #209
Veteran Member

Seems to me all been quiet from Japan. As if the K-5 was nothing. What are they waiting for. Not like the K-r it was spot on press release. But now no info. I guess the release today have a lot mixed specifications from different Pentax regional sites.

Somehow IMHO Pentax Japan (Hoya) have other things in mind.
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #210
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
How 'bout all the exceptional photographs that may have been posted and you sumarily discounted? So it took you 20 minutes of searching from the time someone answered your question to find a photo taken -- that seems to me -- to either be subject to some camera shake / or focused on nothing in particular, using a lens that suffers from purple fringing.... and from this, you think you can draw a conclusion?. :ugh:
Conclusion with a single photo? In fact it takes 20 seconds to find a A55 photo and I was/am severly curious about what the K-5 IQ will be rather than 7fps or buffer size etc. Oh yeah it's too early right?
Closed Thread