Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #226
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still reading the massive thread and not sure if anyone noticed this: "Weight Approx. 740g (body only), Approx. 660g (Including dedicated battery and SD card)"

I LIKE helium batteries that make the camera lighter once installed!

Tim

09-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #227

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
In Pentax-speak, "long exposure NR" == DFS.
So sorry, i overread your "Extended-exposure NR" and thought you were talking about the 'NR for different ISO settings"-feature.

Then this is indeed interesting!
09-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tim_R Quote
I'm still reading the massive thread and not sure if anyone noticed this: "Weight Approx. 740g (body only), Approx. 660g (Including dedicated battery and SD card)"

I LIKE helium batteries that make the camera lighter once installed!

Tim
I've mentioned it before in two different threads (including this one), but Adam hasn't fixed it yet. Well, he has had a very busy day...
09-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #229

Bad PR department, but good cameras? I'm ok with this.

09-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phosphoro Quote
I don't think 24fps makes all that much of a difference. 30fps and 60fps are what's missing. And compression is not h.264, that's really a big letdown. Clearly not the video-friendly camera I was hoping for....
Lack of H.264 is not SD-Card friendly, but MJPEG is actually very video friendly!
09-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #231

They have not addressed every short coming of the K7.... Where is tethered shooting. I have a K7 at present but will simply not upgrade to another Pentax until they can offer such a simple and much needed feature. If it takes to long I will just convert. Pentax don't you listen to the voices of your users.
09-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #232
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm also in the same situation as some of the other posters regarding video. I'm happy with 24fps but is it confirmed that there will be no manual video control? Can that be fixed with a firmware update in the future? Although I'm not heavily invested in Pentax glass I have few. I'd like to stay with pentax so I can continue using them but video is a consideration for my next upgrade.

Edit: just realized no 24fps either. I guess for my next upgrade if I care about video I should switch to something else. Time to research how well lens adapters work.

Last edited by Rashedul; 09-20-2010 at 05:41 PM.
09-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I think Pentax has done a good job at the PR for both the K-r and K-5.
Pardon?
They linked to this http://www.youtube.com/user/pentaxian1#p/a/u/0/FNCee0R1sow
from the official K-5 page. This is embarrassing. A lot of enthusiast amateurs would have done a much better job. The poor girl obviously reads from cue cards and is visibly at unease with the technical terminology. "The K-5 has A/D converters...", phew, I'm glad it does... She often has a "when will this be over?"-expression on her face. She seems like a very nice person but this wasn't the right role for her.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What sort of Frankencamera is that, a Canon 7D with a Nikon VR lens...?
The lens is not meant to be mounted on the camera. It's just an, err, accessory.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Are we going to have John C Pentax or whatever on here again to answer questions, as he did after K-7 announcement?
Are you sure you want what you are wishing for?
I don't have fond memories of John C Pentax telling people off if they dared to ask the wrong questions (e.g., as in "wouldn't it be nice if HDR images would be auto-aligned?".

As for the shambles Pentax created with the inconsistent specs: They are just following their own slogan "Be interesting!".

Seriously, the K-5 looks like a fantastic camera. It looks like its going to be my next camera (provided they add tethered shooting in due course. Can't believe that I'd have to lose my SR switch at the back and tethered shooting, should I decide to replace my K100D). After all the disappointment due to rumour hype has faded, we'll recognise the K-5 for the excellent upgrade to the K-7 it is. Can't wait to see some sample images from the SONY sensor + Pentax image pipeline.
09-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #234
Forum Member

Looks like a kick-a* camera and worth the upgrade if you have an older Pentax but unless you had buyer's remorse with the K-7 seems like you're almost better off getting a secondary shooter like K-r, K-x if low light performance was your only gripe... I'll keep going over the K-5 specs but it seems too much too drop too soon for not that much more - I may just skip a generation. Of course, I'll wait until the reviews and what kind of a trade-in I can get until I make a final decision...
09-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #235

Reviewing the specs again I just cannot fathom how Pentax would find it logical to spend time implementing idiotic so-called digital filters like reversal film and bleach bypass (which can easily be added in every beginner grade editor like iMovie - with incomparably better results) and not offer something as basic as manual shutter and ISO in video mode in a 1000$+ camera.

I don't know if this is just blatant disregard for costumer's wishes and the competition or just plain stupidity, but I'm furious at Pentax, a company whose products I support so vigorously among my friends and others.

I really feel stupid for believing that they were really trying to do the best for their users.
Apparently, Pentax now relies more on cheap marketing tricks than implementing a feature many people wanted badly and would take a couple of lines of code in the firmware to enable.

I really can't express how thoroughly disappointed I am.
09-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #236
Veteran Member

That's looking pretty good for me, really. I'm still a while away from upgrade, but that looks like it'll do quite nicely when the time comes. Enough to relieve any nagging worries about investing in more lenses, anyway.

Kind of like the notion of that 18-135, too. If it makes good images, it looks like it'd be a great knocking-around zoom for those of us who don't set much store by zooms.

(Also, try not to get too melodramatic about the price? By next Midsummer, people'll be looking at the low sticker price and proclaiming it's a sign of the imminent 'doom of Pentax.' Again. Then this time next year, it'll be the same dance about the next model's unsubstantiated 'hype.')

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.
09-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #237
Pentaxian

Kudos to ogl who reported on the new AF modes quite a while ago.

BTW, anyone lusting after the latest K-5 details and pictures from Photokina should scoot to the thread of our Photokina rapporteur falconeye.
09-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #238
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
The specs came out today, but who knows when they were prepared. The Youtube video, which features the pop-up blurb saying ISO is indeed expandable to 51,200 was created on 9/17, but went public on Youtube today. I would say since the video was made 2-3 days ago, it must be the most updated, even over the specs, which could have been put together quite a long time ago, and they just added it to the site today.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are typos on other sites because Pentax made a typo in their press-release specsheet. Rest assured that all the info here is accurate: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/114233-pentax-k-5-a.html
Adam, I think you and a few others had been preparing more for this release than Pentax's marketing responsible for the show's press packs and a few of the early published pages had...
09-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #239
ogl
Banned

JAPANESE VERSION
K-5?????????????PENTAX
7.0 frames / sec, JPEG (16M: ★ ★ ★): up to 30 frames, RAW (PEF): up to about 08 frames, RAW (DNG): up to approximately 8 frames

(2) up to approximately 1.6 frames / sec, JPEG (16M: ★ ★ ★): to fill space on the card,
RAW (PEF): up to 10 frames, RAW (DNG): up to 10 frames.

ENGLISH VERSION
PENTAX K-5 The flagship model of PENTAX K digital SLR camera series, offering high-quality images and user-friendly operation to satisfy the demands of advanced amateurs

Max. 7.0 fps, JPEG (16M: at Continuous Hi): up to 22 frames, RAW: up to 8 frames
Max. 2.0 fps, JPEG (16M: at Continuous Lo): until SD Memory Card is full, RAW: up to 12 frames

isn't it strange????
09-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #240

At the bottom of this offical press release it says:

"The maximum file size is 4GB for movie.
The maximum length is 25 minutes for movie."

Why would they not jut let you fill the card/deplete the battery?

PENTAX K-5 The flagship model of PENTAX K digital SLR camera series, offering high-quality images and user-friendly operation to satisfy the demands of advanced amateurs

Adam
Closed Thread