Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #346
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote

Is not about you and me, is about the rest of 98% in the market.
Pentax's market?
A lot of newbies (K-r fits the bill) and enthusiasts (flagship models are just about pitched at the right level).

QuoteQuote:
Pentax did some great cameras (K7, K5 and 645D), they advanced alot in the last 3 years, they should have some real guts and be more aggressive in their marketing.
Go back to the threads that were around when the K-7 and K20D came out and see if you find any difference in the sentiment about these cameras...

The K-5 will no doubt do even better than the K20D and K-7 for Pentax.
The K-r will no doubt do even better than the already successful K-x.

09-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #347

Photos: Gallery
And... I realize not a lot of people tether their cams, but it would be so simple to add it. I'm not asking for feature requests that require engineering an entire new body or anything. Just a bit of firmware, and I'd even be happy with a very ugly computer software for it.. Eventually someone would write lightroom support for it, if the tools were at least there.

Another thing not mentioned for tethering.... Shooting remotely. I've taken my friends cam, put it up on a lift, attached w/ a long usb cable. I can then adjust any settings I need even tho the camera is 20' above my head and the crowd.
09-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #348
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Go back to the threads that were around when the K-7 and K20D came out and see if you find any difference in the sentiment about these cameras...

The K-5 will no doubt do even better than the K20D and K-7 for Pentax.
The K-r will no doubt do even better than the already successful K-x.
I'm not talking about the cameras - we know the cameras are great, I'm talking about the lack of marketing. Pentax is like a very beautiful but very shy girl who doesn't know how to dress to get the "boys"

I'm talking here about their press release, the mistakes in the official statements, the mistake with the prices that seem all over the range, the mistake of not making a very good and spectacular video with the camera capabilities and so on. Before this date they should have lended the cameras to one or two phogographic bloggers like Mark Dimalanta (Chasing Light...) who would have probably made some fantastic videos or shots - or short reviews, even if the camera is not final. The marketing team just don't seem to try very hard to sell their cameras...
09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #349
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I cannot see why the marketing of Pentax is afraid of naming their cameras "professional". At this price, with all the futures that it has, high iso, faster AF, extremely well build and so on - it has no reason not to be named as a professional camera.

Olympus in their press release said about the E5 : "rigorous demands of professional photographers", "reliability and professional image quality" and so on.
===============================

Could it be because the PRIME II imaging engine is not considered a "professional" engine?

Just asking.

09-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
My take on things is that a very vocal minority of users on internet discussion forums are disappointed because their pet feature is not included in the spec sheet. That is very different from "a majority of faithful Pentax users".
+1
Some tend to think of themselves as representing the majority.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
and, folks very happy with the offering will say so once or twice. Those dis-apopointed with say so 10X or 100X more...
Yes, just see the frequency of posting of some of the naysayers....
09-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #351

For me it's just too small (K-7 and K-5). Like the camera and all but I think I'll go against MP race and buy one of my first (favorite) DSLRs again.

Oly E-1 and whatever I can save I'll spend on ZD 35-100 f2 Then I won't read rumors or news sites anymore. Just press that nice shutter release button!
09-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #352
Veteran Member

I think a very big mistake from Pentax is they don't announce the K5 as a professional camera.
No, it is just honest.

DPR has review categories and would rate a camera relative to its peers in one category.

You don't want the K-5 to fail in the "Category: Professional Interchangeable Lens Camera / DSLR" with cameras like the D3s in it.

The best category suitable for K-5 is "Category: Semi-professional Interchangeable Lens Camera / DSLR" with cameras like the D300s in it.

If Pentax wants a pro model, they have to build one.

09-22-2010, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #353

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
No, it is just honest.
Honest would be building proper (read: perfect) crop dslr, which we all know is possible right now.

They're not honest (I mean whole canikolypasontax family) because if they would, they wouldn't be able to sell any more upgrades anymore.

Last edited by MarcinZ; 09-22-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Some typos and too much rum :)
09-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #354
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarcinZ Quote
Honest would be building proper (read: perfect) crop dslr, which we all know is possible right now.

They're not honest (I mean whole canikolypasontax family) because if they would, they wouldn't be able to sell any more upgrades anymore.
you hurt my brain!! even phonetics could not save me....I am gonna need a nap now thank-you-very-much!!
09-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #355

"Do one thing. Do it well."

I think that statement is somewhat apropos with regard to Pentax. I am actually grateful that they don't come out with an entirely new camera every couple of years. It makes sense that their consumer base will want some overlay with old style/features. And I'm even glad that they don't try to tackle every possible potential camera buyer's list of wants. That would be an impossible task, fraught with the potential for multiple failures. Why not add/improve/perfect incrementally, especially when many of their features are not only competitive, but are even superior to others on the market? I know that Pentax enthusiasts want it all and want it now, but it makes sense from a market standpoint as well as from a development standpoint for Pentax to take it a bit more slowly.

I look forward to kickin' it with the k-5 in about a year or so, after the reviews have poured in and been sifted.
09-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #356
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
On the other hand, now you have the option to pump up the iso instead so SR isn't such a big deal anymore.
This isn't a great argument...if you can pump up the ISO and get 3 stops better, SR adds another three ON TOP of that. You'll always get the extra light gathering ability...it's not a question of one or the other.
09-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #357
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarcinZ Quote
So what's a proper or perfect APS-C cam?
Highly subjective and also only a temporally relevant concept...

QuoteQuote:
Not so.
Pentax never paraded their flagship cameras to be anything other than enthusiast models (i.e. not pro) and yet still managed to sell them all.

What does it matter what they're called? What can they do? is the question to ask. And as we've seen here already, people have given up on Pentax since the K-5's been proven not to have cappucino-making or massaging functions.
09-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #358

No cappuccino or massage functions? Well, maybe I can overlook that if there's still the much anticipated and critically needed wash-the-cat function.
09-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
No, it is just honest.

DPR has review categories and would rate a camera relative to its peers in one category.

You don't want the K-5 to fail in the "Category: Professional Interchangeable Lens Camera / DSLR" with cameras like the D3s in it.

The best category suitable for K-5 is "Category: Semi-professional Interchangeable Lens Camera / DSLR" with cameras like the D300s in it.

If Pentax wants a pro model, they have to build one.
+1

Any Pentax could be use by a pro, but for Pentax to be a "pro" model there is more than just claiming it.
09-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #360

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Tethering Overview
Tethered digital camera operation is where the camera is permanently attached to a computer by a cable and so is usually restricted to lab or studio work.

Tethered shooting setups vary a bit depending on what equipment is being used, but the general idea is the same. When the camera is driven from the computer, the view-finder is a window on the computer screen, which gives a larger and clearer view finder than the camera's LED screen.

As you take pictures they are downloaded to the capture application programme via Ethernet, USB 2.0 or FireWire ports on the computer. It takes a few seconds per image and the images can then be saved to hard disk in a variety of formats.

The capture of images can be initiated from the camera, but its shutter button, which is controlled in conjunction with a status signal from the computer, is used only to initiate the capture of still images.

Why tether your DSLR camera?
For the professional shooter there are many advantages when working tethered:

Better preview capabilities

More disk space (no need to rely on memory card availability)

Easy file management

Ability for clients and creative directors to “observe” the images directly as they are shot

Usually you can connect a camera to a computer using the appropriate cable for Ethernet, USB 2.0 or FireWire ports.

The facility was available with Pentax up to the K20D
LOL
Oki, I thought it was something more photo related so useful on the field.

So not really important to me.

Thank you very much to take time to answer, I appreciate
Closed Thread