Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #436
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Like I just said on another post , Camera Store in Canada is advertising the K-5 body only at $1483 CDN or $1410USD. But still higher than D7000

10-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #437

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
Last weekend was held a hands on preview in Akihabara (Tokyo).
what the??? how did i miss that?? *sigh*
10-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #438
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
Pentax may well be making LESS on each K-5 sold vs. Nikon on the D7000 , even if the retail price of the K-5 is higher.
OTOH Pentax doesn't spend as much money on advertising and store presence. These things also cost money don't they?

The K-7 is sold at 800-900$. Do Pentax lose their shirt on this camera? The only difference is the sensor and it's difficult to tell if the Sony is more expensive (should be less because production volume is higher).

So my guess is that Pentax still has a comfortable margin on the K-5. They may not want to compete with the D7000 but the camera may also stay in the warehouses.
10-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #439
Veteran Member

Features and cost

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote

So my guess is that Pentax still has a comfortable margin on the K-5. They may not want to compete with the D7000 but the camera may also stay in the warehouses.
=======================================

Isn't the bulk of R&D costs in both the K5 and D7000 born by Sony, since both use the same Sony CMOS?

At the end of the day, the consumer will care ONLY about TWO FACTORS: FEATURES AND COST

Name brand loyalty will be a far, distant SECOND

10-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #440
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
I'm 99% certain that the K-5 will cost more for Pentax to produce than the equivilent Canon/Nikon, it's called economies of scale

Adam
=====================================

It's also called MARKET PENETRATION

If Pentax can't do that - game over.
10-05-2010, 04:12 AM   #441
Veteran Member

K-5 Lens Kit w DA 18-55 WR

K-5 Lens Kit w DA 18-55 WR

Product Number: PTX 14762
$1,749.95

PentaxWebstore K-5 Lens Kit w DA 18-55 WR
10-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #442
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
=======================================

Isn't the bulk of R&D costs in both the K5 and D7000 born by Sony, since both use the same Sony CMOS?

At the end of the day, the consumer will care ONLY about TWO FACTORS: FEATURES AND COST

Name brand loyalty will be a far, distant SECOND
I think that is more true for the K-r than the K-5. Sure, it will be with the K-5 for folks just getting their 1st dSLR. However, there will be a lot of advanced Pentax users with a stash of glass that will be interested in the Pentax label. Besides, at that price point, the Nikon D7000 shell is a ruse.

As far as market penetration goes, they did that with the K-x and its features using the plethora of colors for impact. They will continue that with the K-r. I would wager that the Rebel series sells more units than Canon's top APS-c body.

10-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #443
Site Supporter

Until units start moving out the door, we won't know what the street price is going to be.

Until then: Violin
10-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #444
raz

K-5 is 1200 Euros in Romania body only , VAT included.

The K-7 is 1000 Euros at this point.

So the difference is not big, too bad I will not have the money until the end of the year
10-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #445

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
======================================

Hoya isn't banking on the USA market to keep it floating, or at least it had better not be!

Understanding supply and demand is the first market principal being violated here if the K5 goes a penny over $1,299 in the USA, IMO. And even at that price point, there won't be enough volume to sustain it.

You do understand supply and demand is a 'make or break' approach to any successful company or product. And if Hoya misses that mark in the USA, it will miss it for the rest of it's Global Market as well.

IMO
I think the Chinese, Indian and other Asian markets are probably much more interesting than the saturated US market. I think as a mid-term strategy it would probably make sense for Hoya/Pentax to market aggressively in East Asia and let Canikon fight it out amongst themselves in the US.
10-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phosphoro Quote
I think the Chinese, Indian and other Asian markets are probably much more interesting than the saturated US market. I think as a mid-term strategy it would probably make sense for Hoya/Pentax to market aggressively in East Asia and let Canikon fight it out amongst themselves in the US.
That sounds logical. But it has a caveat.

The Western countries (and the US first of all) are very influential when it comes to opinion making. That's due to some aggressive marketing behaviour and a strong presence of US content in the internet (like this forum -- smallest Pentax market, biggest Pentax forum). If a product succeeds in the West, it very likely sells like hot cakes in Asia. Opinion flows West to East. There are exceptions to the rule but I wouldn't bet on it.

BTW, while I've yet to find a Japanese Pentax forum or Pentax-related discussions on any Japanese forum, the Chinese seem to be more open and communicative. The Xitek forum is a nice resource of Asian opinions.

Last edited by falconeye; 10-07-2010 at 06:55 AM.
10-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #447
Forum Member

I'm thinking about a K5, or a 7D, but to he honest I am struggling to see what is significantly wrong with the K20D. I don't want video and I definitely don't want a smaller body (hence the 7D being in the frame). Better higher ISO performance would be nice, but not worth over £1000.
10-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
I'm thinking about a K5, or a 7D, but to he honest I am struggling to see what is significantly wrong with the K20D.
There is nothing wrong with a K20D. Or a K10D, for that matter. Both are great cameras and can be had for a song in the marketplace in this forum.

The K7 isn't much of a gain over the K20D, IMO. Especially if you don't need the video and know how to adjust for low light manually.

I don't expect the K5 to do well in North America, especially with similar products with equal features costing up to $500 less.

Also, the K-x is a great little camera with great deals in the marketplace forum. For what it does, it is a better bargain than the K-r, IMO.
10-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #449
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
K-5 is 1200 Euros in Romania body only , VAT included.

The K-7 is 1000 Euros at this point.

So the difference is not big, too bad I will not have the money until the end of the year
========================================

If you see K5 prices in your country, please post them.
10-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Until units start moving out the door, we won't know what the street price is going to be.

Until then: :Violin:
======================================

Pentax K-5

Street Price: $1399.95 body-only ($1599.95 MSRP, add an additional $150 for DA 18-55mm WR kit lens)
Closed Thread