Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

new smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] WR DC

Read the full review of the pentax 18-135mm lens here: Pentax-DA 18-135mm review

SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Picked up from Pentax Estonia. No rumor but real (I think). It's SDM, WR, IF and round diafragm.
Do not understand what DC means. New type of SDM? SDM is not in the name anymore!
The styling is like the new 35mm f2.4.

Translated with Google.

enjoy

smc DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6

HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division will launch a new smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] WR DC lens. PENTAX digital SLR cameras use a standard zoom lens with a weather-resistant construction has been simplified. In addition, 7.5 × zoom lens is especially thanks to the integrated teravustamismootorile smooth autofocus performance.

Key features

1. A large extent
PENTAX digital SLR camera for the zoom lens is mounted, and 7.5 × zoom range of 35 mm camera equivalent of 27.5 to 207 mm. Thanks to a good extent of the lens is a universal tool for capturing the variety of shots, whether portraits, sports or travel photos. Thanks to PENTAX optikatehnoloogiale is substantially compact and lightweight lens design, and in spite of massive scale. The result is a versatile and comfortable to handle universaalobjektiiv everyday use.

2. Simplified weather-resistant construction
As the lens housing is weather resistant and prevents water and moisture inside escape. If confirmed, this weather-resistant lens for PENTAX digital SLR camera, the result is a durable, reliable tool that works flawlessly in the rain and mist.

3. In particular, a smooth SDM autofocus
The AF system takes care of the integrated micro-motor for smooth autofocus lens .* The Focus ring does not rotate in the course of AF, it is possible to keep the lens as the lens manually teravustatavale.
* This lens is compatible with the camera body: PENTAX K-5, Kr, K-7, Kx, Km, K20D, K200D, K100D Super and K10D (Ver. 1.30 or newer software). Other camera is automatically activated when the manual mode teravustamisre ˛.

4. Drawing Quality
Thanks to the optical system attached to ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens, and hybrid aspherical lens molded aspherical lens provides excellent lens for minimal distortion figure. Lentils have contributed to the reduction of body dimensions.

5. Rounded Diaphragm
The lens is a circular aperture diaphragm, which captures the background out of focus pleasantly soften. Focused beams of light sources from around the effect is minimal.

6. Other Features
Closest focusing distance: 40 cm throughout the zoom range
Quick-Shift Focus: allows for quick switching to manual focusing, the AF system to work, after fine tuning is needed
Esiläätsele entered SP (Super Protect) setting: abandons water, dust and dirt.

Attached Images

Last edited by Adam; 11-28-2010 at 04:14 PM.
09-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting indeed. Sounds good.
I wonder what they mean by circular aperture.. many blades or some special design?

And DC - isn't that a new abbreviation for Pentax lenses? Is this a simple micro motor or supersonic micro motor lens?
09-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Very very nice if true
09-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Interesting indeed. Sounds good.
I wonder what they mean by circular aperture.. many blades or some special design?
As with the D-FA 100 macro WR, the aperture blades is circular so that they form more of an "circle" making the bokeh more soft and "round"

09-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
And DC - isn't that a new abbreviation for Pentax lenses? Is this a simple micro motor or supersonic micro motor lens?
I brought this up in the lens thread before this thread was started. If you look at the sticky at the top of the forum, Adam has that abbreviation in there as well. Yes, it is indeed new.

My thoughts were :"a new coating technology (D-coating), or something like "direct control"--i.e. it allows for aperture control, etc. in video recording. Or another crazy idea: DC could be related to the focusing system the lens uses (something other than the current SDM or screw-drive)".

Now that we have the more detailed listing, I'm inclined to think it is a new SDM version (as all other SDM lenses have had the SDM acronym, and the description for this mentions SDM).
09-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

DC is the classification for aps-c only i think
09-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
DC is the classification for aps-c only i think
Yes, that's how it's used in Sigma nomenclature, but I doubt Pentax will be using Sigma's abbreviations

09-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put me in line for this - this is a really different product with the sealing. As long as it is not too big and heavy and is around the 600 mark, I will buy one.

I wonder if we are going to see the next generation of SDM as per those patents that were floating around?
09-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder who designed this lens? It looks like the focus and zoom rings are reversed.
09-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Where is the focus ring? The large ring in front is the zoom ring...
09-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DC refers to the SDM motor type, I think. Expect confirmation of that on Monday.
09-19-2010, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Yes, that's how it's used in Sigma nomenclature, but I doubt Pentax will be using Sigma's abbreviations
Agreed, and as I said on another thread, DA already covers that (although we know several DA lenses can cover the 35mm image circle). If Pentax wanted to be clear they would have many other to retroactively rename. Also, doing so would suggest that a FF camera was coming soon, but lets not get that optimistic.
09-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Where is the focus ring? The large ring in front is the zoom ring...
Hmm. Note that the text says that the focus ring does not rotate on AF. Now, I don't have a Pentax SDM lens, but I know for the regular screw drive lenese the ring does rotate. I wonder if its the same with the SDM lenses and this is indeed a change (which would again indicate a new focusing design)
09-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Hmm. Note that the text says that the focus ring does not rotate on AF. Now, I don't have a Pentax SDM lens, but I know for the regular screw drive lenese the ring does rotate. I wonder if its the same with the SDM lenses and this is indeed a change (which would again indicate a new focusing design)
It seems that the 18-135 does away with the distance scale. The ring does not move while focusing but Direct Control is possible at all times (so that's what DC could stand for?)
09-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It seems that the 18-135 does away with the distance scale. The ring does not move while focusing but Direct Control is possible at all times (so that's what DC could stand for?)
That seems likely. How funny. When I posted on this before anyone else, I guessed it stood for "direct control", but that this was related to video, then went on to suggest perhaps it was something to do with SDM.