Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #346
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmgabe Quote
Any of those types of functions (expanded DR etc.) will not effect a raw image, just jpeg output. That is the nature of a raw file, no processing done by the camera, just the raw data from the sensor to be processed in post.
I think the propper term I for the feature I was refering too is Expanded D-Range or perhaps it's just D-Range(K20D at lea). Either way, I do beleive that settings affects RAW files as well as the JPG's. Though I've never actually ran any hard tests to confirm that.

09-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #347
Forum Member

Is there any news of a future lens roadmap? Those of us doing wildlife photography want to know if Pentax is going to produce a prime lens of at least 400mm any time soon.
09-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #348
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you plan on doing no editing in post at all, it is never a good idea to abandon raw files. They offer so much more data when it comes to PP that allows you to do things that no jpeg can offer. Do yourself a favor and stick to raw, I could never discard all that valuable data, and lose all the processing headroom.
Trust me, I know; I'm certainly of like mind to you and often make a statement and link to my examples when people ask 'why RAW'?; plus I'm a bit of a hoarder @ that, mu wife thinks chronic. It's just that Meg-pix are getting so high, I'm running out of space on my 2.3 Tera-byte RAID-6 array (usable after formatting). I'm going to have to start deleting things off the archive soon. So if I can be sure the in-camera processing (and shot's exposure & WB) will be just 'that good', I may just do only JPEG. (another time to use it is when shooting continuous; it'll be great to not have to process RAW of may similar photos and decide which ones to keep only after tweaking).

Last edited by m8o; 09-23-2010 at 10:16 AM.
09-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #349
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't understand simple things -
May I quote you
Seriously though, I can understand your feelings and I do partly share them. I even anticipated the disappointment and warned Pentax in my blog not to stay silent on the FF roadmap front.

OTOH, Pentax is a smaller company now than it used to be before the Hoya aquisition. What we see is almost a reboot of the company, started mid 2008 according to my own analysis. And releasing models which are competitive against top performers like D5000 (K-x) and D7000 (K-5) or even ground breaking like the 645D is all we can seriously expect from a small company like Pentax.

I rather have 3 very competitive models and nothing beyond, than an avalanche of new products which all are mediocre at best. So, maybe I am a bit disappointed too. But that's most likely due to an unrealistic boost in expectations prior to Photokina. I'm sure if now I shoot more and post less, the satisfaction returns. No doubt, the K-5 is a great photographer's tool and it doesn't force us to look at tiny computer screens while having fun.

09-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #350
Inactive Account

I'm guessing Hoya-Pentax is still finding its feet. Although, I must admit, they're kinda dragging them at the moment, to badly mix metaphors.
09-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
And releasing models which are competitive against top performers like D5000 (K-x) and D7000 (K-5) or even ground breaking like the 645D is all we can seriously expect from a small company like Pentax.
I actually think it's a remarkable achievement to bring out two highly competitive cameras like the K-r and the K-5 in such a short time after their predecessors, and just a couple of months after they released their monster camera.

Let me cite dpreview's description of the Pentax stand (and they didn't even mention the 645D!): "Pentax's stand this year is somewhat like its current product range - relatively small, but interesting. "
09-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #352
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
...and just a couple of months after they released their monster camera....
Tho it seems that may have been close to ready as it seems it may have been in the works for quite some time. Pentax was probably waiting for sensor tech to catch-up with what they expected from the 645D.
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #353
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I had no luck developping the RAWs from the new Nikon. My LR doesn't read them. Anybody?
There is a free application called View NX, which could be of help. It can be found here:

ViewNX from Nikon

So who ever has time...

[ P.S. Also Picasa can open these NEF's but I think it also applies some processing. ]

09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #354

QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
So you don't have to take your lens cap off to capture an image. :P
OMG! I am laughing SO HARD!

Falk, that photo is impressive! I would actually love to see the sooc, if that is possible. If it has already been linked I missed it.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone else for stressing over the specs so I don't have to. I'll just sit back and let you all get it worked out.
09-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #355
Site Supporter

have you seen Mr. Bunnell?

falk,

have you seen Ned B at photokina?

just curious.

regards,

jordan
09-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #356
Col
Veteran Member

Ned is still stuck in the broom cupboard.
09-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #357
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No, that was Mulder. Scully was the sceptic.

It was actually on the poster in Mulder's office, he already believed...but I swore it was the answer Scully gave when Mulder asked her "....after all you have seen why don't you believe..." [paraphrased I think] and she said something like "....I want to believe but..."

Now you have me wondering if I dismember it right....so darn, I guess I will "have to" watch the series again this weekend and throw in the movies for good measures...btw the 2nd movie was titled "I want to Believe" [which I forgot...double D'OH!!]

Now back to your regular scheduled programming...
09-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #358
Pentaxian

That is the nature of a raw file, no processing done by the camera, just the raw data from the sensor to be processed in post.
That's not really true anymore, it's not uncommon for the cameras to play all kind of tricks on the raw-files. Pentax for instance is "famous" for doing noise reduction on there raw files whether the user likes it or not.
09-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #359
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I actually think it's a remarkable achievement to bring out two highly competitive cameras like the K-r and the K-5 in such a short time after their predecessors, and just a couple of months after they released their monster camera."
And they plugged the two most commercially viable holes in the lens lineup, a WR walkaround zoom and a fast cheap normal. Nevertheless, it sucks that some things we were promised are still AWOL, like the 1.4x TC, supertele and 30mm 1.4. They said these would be released, they should either get on with it or tell us they will not deliver.
09-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #360
Col
Veteran Member

If I may request a question, in an interview a Sigma Rep said that the 150mm F2.8 EX APO DG HSM Macro was going to be in all mounts, and did say Pentax. Any chance you could confirm this as its not stated on their web pages 150mm F2.8 EX APO DG HSM Macro - Macro Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
Closed Thread