Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #31
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I just opened my ongoing reports about Photokina and Pentax annuncements.

I have to hurry to join the Intn't press tour now, so please, let me refer to the first blog article:

-> Falk Lumo: Photokina 2010: First impressions
This is a bit off-topic.
Falk, (may I call you Falk?) I wish that you will do an Oktoberfest coverage as well. You seem to have good taste.

09-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

25 MP File sizes?

Suggestion to Pentax: How about FW addition for several choices of smaller RAW files? 25 MP file sizes? Yikes!

Delete, delete all them photos!
09-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #33

Hi Falk,

Nice to hear you had a first glance at the K5. Will you do soon a shutter blurr test/ comparison to K7 , on the K5 ?
Have fun in Germany
Bjan
09-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #34
Site Supporter

"Noise reduction configurable per ISO"

I like that.

09-20-2010, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Blog article is now complete

I now finished the first blog article. As the title says, my first impressions.

I'll have another article about the K-5. Maybe another one if the few test shots I made are worth a mention.

Pentax had quite some traffic in their business area from the press, wanting to see K-5 and 645D. They have four K-5 and one 645D in Cologne and they are hard to grap
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Thanks Falk, for being our man on the ground. Unfortunaly, it doesn't seem like Pentax had very many answers for you.

No f2.8 sensors; not a surprise, but sigh. No manual controls in video, again a pity (if only because some wanted it and it seems only a matter of implementation).

"Sensor position is adjustable in order to tune to lens"--I think this simply refers to the composition correct feature (or perhaps the self-leveling feature).
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Let's keep this thread on-topic and continue other k5 discussion here
That's fine with me as far as information as contained in the press material is concerned.

But in all due respect, don't interfere with my ongoing report which is genuine journalistic content.

To post a placeholder thread before the event and then to insist all discussion has to go there is ... well, I've no words for it. Really

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Falk: if you'd like, I can do a homepage article on your reportings (no external links).
I would be flattered to see my content quoted on your homepage. But of course, only with the proper credit which does contain an external link. The content is my copyright.
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #38

Falk, thanks for all you are doing to keep us up to date and get our questions answered! By the comments in this thread, it looks like you have your work cut-out for you!

Cheers!

09-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
"Sensor position is adjustable in order to tune to lens"--I think this simply refers to the composition correct feature (or perhaps the self-leveling feature).
That's a good guess.
But I think it must be something else. It is listed as "changed wrt K-7" in the press kit. The original German sentence reads:

"Sensorlage zur Objektivanpassung justierbar".

The composition assist feature has nothing to do with justierbare Objektivanpassung which I translated by adjustable lens tuning.
09-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #40
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy it Falk, and we all look forward to your published report.
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
Wow, you have changed. Maybe it's time to update your avatar
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
This is a bit off-topic.
Falk, (may I call you Falk?) I wish that you will do an Oktoberfest coverage as well. You seem to have good taste.
You want more of her?

I've a couple more shots to share
09-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's fine with me as far as information as contained in the press material is concerned.

But in all due respect, don't interfere with my ongoing report which is genuine journalistic content.

To post a placeholder thread before the event and then to insist all discussion has to go there is ... well, I've no words for it. Really

I would be flattered to see my content quoted on your homepage. But of course, only with the proper credit which does contain an external link. The content is my copyright.
I am kinda right there with you on this stuff.
09-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
I am kinda right there with you on this stuff.
Yes, also agree.
09-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Thanks for reporting Falk!
Reading your blog reminded me of the "FF mystery". I have no knowledge of how this exhibition works so I must ask; is more announcements expected or is this "it" for this time? No hints of MILC or FF?
09-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Questions

I'll go back on Friday and try to clarify a number of items. Questions I registered so far (please don't ask questions which require proper benchmarking);
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
1. confirm the Buffer Size and if its true it can only hold 8 RAW?

2. can you take a shot with both Lens Corrections settings on and see if it processes any faster?

3. can we control when to light up the top LCD, and not have it light up automatically after every reading.
I understand the hardware is the same. But I've an open question wrt Prime-II and it being new or now. I'll do test #2.

QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
I for one am very interested in the new lens. Can you have an eye (and ear) on its AF speed and noise?

The price certainly sets high expecations.

EDIT: Oh, and anything pertaining video, of course.
The 18-135, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'd be interested to learn how well LV supports MF. Does the new video resolution imply improved MF precision when using LV?
I didn't try manual focussing with LV.

But contrast AF with LV is a big step forward. Not only is it much fast, almost usable. Ok, usable if the subject doesn't move.

But second, while it focusses, it auto-magnifies the focussed region and allows for a visual verification of the autofocus. I couldn't check its accuracy or exact speed though. Also, the auto-magnify must not work in MF because the firmware cannot know when you turn the focus wheel.

Except maybe if 'DC' provides that feedback and the answer I got was wrong.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
And what about disabling DFS?
If they have f... up that again I'm going to #%!"#!
Question noted.

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I'm sure you will anyway but could you ask about manual video controls? It doesn't seem to be in the press release but maybe they just didn't include it. If not then will we see it in the future?
No manual controls in video. At least not as far as we could find them. Nobody knows.

The real problem is that I could talk to nobody from Pentax Japan. And there are no excuses.

E.g., why could I talk today to the Olympus Tokyo Manager of the SLR Product Planning Department (name blacked here for confidentiality reasons)? He was very interested to learn about my ideas about a specific topic. Really, it is far too difficult to talk to Japanese management. Everybody is in Cologne this week. Except Pentax Japan. How on earth can they know what's going elsewhere if they are not coming out of their castle?
Closed Thread