Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Who said Sigma were going to stop making lenses in K mount?
sorry I wasn't that clear. I said some of their lenses, as mentioned (150mm and 180mm) were either discontinued and never made. and I was considering one of those along the line for FF use.

09-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #452
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
sorry I wasn't that clear. I said some of their lenses, as mentioned (150mm and 180mm) were either discontinued and never made. and I was considering one of those along the line for FF use.
According to the Sigma rep at Photokina they are bringing out the 150mm in Pentax mount. I have a 180mm in the for sale section
09-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #453
Veteran Member

According to the Sigma rep at Photokina they are bringing out the 150mm in Pentax mount. I have a 180mm in the for sale section
there is seems to be a conflicting reports regarding the release of the 150mm. so I guess we have to verify that first. although as I had mentioned, I will be using them for FF. sadly, Pentax could not provide me with one. I'm now trying to look at my line-up of which lenses are going and staying.
09-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #454
Veteran Member

there is seems to be a conflicting reports regarding the release of the 150mm. so I guess we have to verify that first.
I have heard something about a closer Sigma-pentax cooperation...
Now I think they probably share the same marketing people

09-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #455
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote

other:
- no tele above 500mm. It's not possible for Pentax. Unprofitable.
- no info on other lenses
- FA Limited are discontinued
- no FF in sight, definitely not in 2011, probably also not in 2012.
- perhaps there will be a 3rd party grip for the Kr.
- the high prices are defined in Japan. Pentax outside of Japan cannot change them.
- the market in the USA/Canada is a nothing to Pentax, only France and Germany count besides Japan.
Not quite the bounty of good news a Pentaxian could hope for.

The discontinuation of the FA Limiteds sucks, but lack of a FF camera for the last 6 or so years....it's a surprise, but it makes sense. Having said that, I wonder how long long the DFA 100mm macro WR lens will last?

On the telephoto end, I think it's a bad cycle that Pentax has locked itself into. They won't produce anything longer than 300mm because there's no market for it and a lot of people who consider a Pentax body perfect for wildlife won't make the move because Pentax doesn't have a sealed telephoto longer than 300mm to go with it.

As for FF, it's not really a surprise. The DA(L, *, Limited) line pretty much ensures FF won't ever be a reality. I know some lenses will work on FF, but a lot won't and Pentax isn't making any move to really change that. The 645D I think was the final nail in the coffin for FF hopes.

Again, not really great news, but not really a surprise either.
09-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #456

i really dont get the ff thing - ok wide angle might be slightly better but aps-c optics seems to be perfectly feasible at 10-18mm and you get a handy bonus at the long end

iso and dynamic range rapidly catching up with ff so why bother with it? that said i do think its a shame to see the fa limiteds going - the da ltd line up isn't as impressive and not nearly such a fast aperture on most of them
09-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #457
Veteran Member

Pentax made a sensible move by ditching for good the FF dreams and FA limited lenses.

They might loose some of the hardcore fans but, by re-routing the money to APS-C development (and in particular entry/mid level line represented by Kr) and affordable MF line, could be the difference between extinction and success.

09-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #458
m8o
Veteran Member

there is seems to be a conflicting reports regarding the release of the 150mm. so I guess we have to verify that first. although as I had mentioned, I will be using them for FF. sadly, Pentax could not provide me with one. I'm now trying to look at my line-up of which lenses are going and staying.
As I painfully learned from Sigma USA when trying to acquire a good long lens for Tanzania in 2007 with only weeks to go -- wanting the 100-300/4 but there were basicallly none to be had over the entire globe -- they re-tool their manufacturing operation several times a year to produce batches of lenses for each mount (and at risk ov over-sharing a wonderfully kind young woman @ Pentax USA took pity on me and put the deal together allowing me to by my 300/2.8 when I finally broke down and said I'd take it, so I'll forever be in her debt and even gave her a $100 dollar bottle of wine when I got back She's gone now if anyone wanted to ask. but I digress.) Pentax and a few other mounts get very few production runs a year. If this year was like 2007, and their Pentax production run was in the summer, it doesn't do them much good to hear all the complaining about not having the lens sooner if they announce it now but only build it in the summer of 2011.

...fingers crossed it's coming and we'll hear of it in the winter or spring.
09-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #459
Veteran Member

I would be fine with the FA limiteds being discontinued as long as there are DA or DA* replacements at similar focal lengths in the not too distant future. Maybe we could finally get a 35mm f/1.4 and an 85mm f/1.4 because they wouldn't be directly competing for sales with the 31 and 77 limiteds.
09-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #460
Veteran Member

I also was at the Photokina yesterday, with Falk and other Pentaxians.
It was nice!

K5
- The sensor of the K5 ids good! It is probably about 2 EV better than the K20/K7.
- AF is not faster with SDM lenses. I have tested this.
- It was shooting 7 RAWs in a row.

18-135
- very nice built
- nobody at Pentax knew what DC means
- AF is ok.

DA35
- no colored ones outside of Japan

other:
- no tele above 500mm. It's not possible for Pentax. Unprofitable.
- no info on other lenses
- no FF in sight, definitely not in 2011, probably also not in 2012.
- perhaps there will be a 3rd party grip for the Kr.
- the high prices are defined in Japan. Pentax outside of Japan cannot change them.
- the market in the USA/Canada is a nothing to Pentax, only France and Germany count besides Japan.

Who said the FA limiteds are discontinued?, and is this source as reliable as hearing it from Pentax Japan? I will have a tough time beleiving this, as it doesn't make any sense.

I have all three FA limiteds, and this wouldn't affect me though.

7 RAW only in continuous shooting is quite ridiculous, and if this means there is no option to choose 12-bit RAW then Pentax has lost it's mind.
09-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #461
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
No. It's more difficult than that.
Since this forum is full of marketing gurus, I'm surprised no one has chewed his up correctly yet.

If consumers understood what is the total value of the camera plus system uniqueness, all this would be a non-issue and would never happen.
But they understand just nothing.
Fine post, Uluru.
09-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #462
Veteran Member

If this is true it is the stupidest thing Pentax could ever do! Forget gimmicks, forget numbers, forget gadgets... at the top level of photographic excellence the only reason to choose a brand is for their lenses with unique rendering power. Pentax has three of those: the FA 31 Limited, FA 43 Limited, FA77 Limited.

There is no reason to buy Pentax except for the FA Limited lenses.

I have been calling for Pentax to produce more FA Limiteds for exactly this reason... the excellence of manufacture and the provision of a unique offering. By discontinuing these lenses the company is turning their backs on the very thing that makes them unique.

Complete idiocy. Pentax will lose many customers. And their special cache in the business.
09-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
If this is true it is the stupidest thing Pentax could ever do! Forget gimmicks, forget numbers, forget gadgets... at the top level of photographic excellence the only reason to choose a brand is for their lenses with unique rendering power. Pentax has three of those: the FA 31 Limited, FA 43 Limited, FA77 Limited.

There is no reason to buy Pentax except for the FA Limited lenses.

I have been calling for Pentax to produce more FA Limiteds for exactly this reason... the excellence of manufacture and the provision of a unique offering. By discontinuing these lenses the company is turning their backs on the very thing that makes them unique.

Complete idiocy. Pentax will lose many customers. And their special cache in the business.
IF this is a business decision based on actual results and market research, then whatever some people will say, Pentax made a right decision. Maybe they will put on the market a DA31/43/77mm with weather sealing...who knows?
09-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #464
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I would be fine with the FA limiteds being discontinued as long as there are DA or DA* replacements at similar focal lengths in the not too distant future. Maybe we could finally get a 35mm f/1.4 and an 85mm f/1.4 because they wouldn't be directly competing for sales with the 31 and 77 limiteds.
(Firstly, I'd suggest that we all wait to hear an official announcement.)

I wouldn't count on any replacements from Hoya, they've already produced an APS-C series of primes. If they're canceling this series of well-regarded lenses, I would only read it as an overdue acknowledgement that times have changed, the market's moved on, and that Hoya has to focus on products with broader appeal. To be honest, I see a lot more of these old FA lenses in the used gear stores than I ever do on people's cameras.

Perhaps Hoya will produce a new line of similar primes for the forthcoming "MILC" that uses the same retro styling, now that Fuji's got so much attention.
09-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #465

No, it is not faster with SDM lenses.
This is wishful thinking.
Having experienced my DA* 60-250 focussing more than twice as fast on one of the pre-production K-7s I used compared to the one I own now, this is not good news.

It is possible to make our SDM lenses focus faster and I was very disappointed that the retail K-7 did not get this. For the K-5 to not get it either, kinda sucks.

Hope this changes on the retail models.
Closed Thread