Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 04:45 AM   #496

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I think that the SDM lenses are motor speed limited. They just cannot turn faster. It doesn't matter that perhaps the algorithms are faster. This is clear to me now.
My experiences with K-7 pre-production units tell me a different story, they can turn faster, a lot faster, they are just not giving it to us for some reason.

09-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Oh, I would like to know that in case Pentax will come with something EVIL in the future (I am aware they don't announce they are working on such thing at all - but if they announce to not work on FF then they probably don't exclude more compact DSLR), that it will at least fully support K-Mount lenses (potentially via adapter with full functionality).
  • Or course besides the potential change in crop factor if they also decide to change the sensor size...
Hmm, if they now say "of course" then they can still change their mind later. But at this moment it at least would sound a really stupid decision so not very likely. So I answered my own question already, or am I wrong?
09-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #498
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
My experiences with K-7 pre-production units tell me a different story, they can turn faster, a lot faster, they are just not giving it to us for some reason.
Howd you get access to pre-production models?
09-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #499
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I thought you knew people at Pentax

09-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #500
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Maybe he went to a show, like Photokina or something else.
09-26-2010, 05:22 AM   #501
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, I was able to obtain this much of verifyable information:

The new German dealer price list from Pentax lists the FA Ltds. as "EOL" (end of life).

Every German dealer should be able to confirm. Maybe, dealers from other countries can report what information they got.

I refrain from interpreting the exact meaning of this information.
They killed the best Pentax lenses (FA limited) and one of the best wide-angle lens in the world (FA31)... It's insane.
09-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #502

Had access to a pre-production unit for 2 weeks before release in the UK, also in store at the SRS open day.

Can read about it here

09-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #503
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that DA* 55/1.4 is actually the exact replacement of the above in APS-C terms.
For focal length - yes...
09-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #504
ogl
Banned

Maybe the main task is to remove all fast lenses from production. And there will be no complaints about AF.

With killing FA limited, Pentax will have ONLY ONE fast lens - DA*55/1.4 SDM.
Fast and slow.
09-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I thought you knew people at Pentax
Nope, never said I did just know people who know people who know people that know people lol
09-26-2010, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #506
Veteran Member

I agree, "EOL" means Limiteds are being discontinued

I agree, "EOL" means Limiteds are being discontinued.

Great News for Pentaxians !

Well those who leave the brand eventually as their Made In Japan Limiteds will appreciate in value and help fund the aquisition of their next brand of gear.

Pentax discontinuing full frame lenses, Zeiss discontinuing full frame K Mount lenses, I wonder what all this means ?

Maybe someone will start another Full Frame K Mount dslr is coming soon thead ?

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, I was able to obtain this much of verifyable information:

The new German dealer price list from Pentax lists the FA Ltds. as "EOL" (end of life).

Every German dealer should be able to confirm. Maybe, dealers from other countries can report what information they got.

I refrain from interpreting the exact meaning of this information.
09-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
My friend if you can find me a market for them, I can round up dozens and dozens of the things from the used stores here in Tokyo. They're not cheap, but they're always in stock.
Well, maybe they are not selling because the stores have them over-priced. But Japan is not the world nor even representative of it. Nowhere else is there a glut of these lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
If the FA ltd's are infact planned to be discontinued, I actually think thats a good thing

To me, that means just maybe we will get new modern equivalents such as oh I don't know..... a Pentax 85mm F/1.4? Not to mention maybe we will finally get a truly fast "wide" normal lens?
Show me the replacements that render just as well. Then discontinue the old lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I was never interested in any of the three "amigos" so it doesn't affect me in the slightest anyhow
But are you interested in the viability and reputation of Pentax as a brand? Outside Pentax fans, these three lenses are what the company's lens reputation is built on. (Plus the discontinued 200mm macro and 85mm. But they get mentioned much less.)

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
You mean, There is no reason for you to buy Pentax except for the FA Limited lenses.
Nope. I mean that these are the distinctive lenses Pentax offers. Other companies make lenses as good as all the rest.
09-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
It has been suggested that the internal works of the current SDM lenses cannot cope with that speed. Which they found out with pre production models like the one you probably tried. So to avoid much problems they had to limit speed in production versions....
09-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #509
ogl
Banned

I see only ONE solution. To make new DC only bayonet for new FF EVIL/Hybrid system.
With flange focal distance lower than 30 mm to make fast compact lenses and compact bodies.
09-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #510
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I see only ONE solution. To make new DC only bayonet for new FF EVIL/Hybrid system.
I don't think it's gonna happen. History of Pentax seems to indicate that they don't jump onto new technology all too quick. Pentax will take time to "think it through", so I don't foresee any changes whatsoever in current Pentax line up... Up to what must be introduced, such as K7 to K5 transition...
Closed Thread