Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
My questions would be about DFS and the low 1600 bulb ISO max....

09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Good reporting Falk!
Could you find out what the k5's native base iso noise is like? Can we expect it to be better or worse the the k7?

Thanks
09-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #48

Falk wrote

I'll go back on Friday and try to clarify a number of items. Questions I registered so far (please don't ask questions which require proper benchmarking);

I understand about that proper benchmarking but could you tell in general terms if you intend to have an other look at the shutter blur issue on the K5 as you did with the K7 or has this become "forbidden area" ?
09-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll add one... What about 12 bit RAW mode?

09-20-2010, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
If I could chime in: What does 'DC' mean in the lens' name?
According to Pentax Germany marketing management: A faster version of the ultrasonic focus motor. But it wasn't answered what DC stands for. For me, the question isn't settled yet. Moreover, it is unclear if a faster SDM would mean a ring type motor as this wasn't known either.

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
The Need-to-know list:

2. AF in video
3. Tethering?
4. Flash sync 1/180 or 1/250 ?
5. SXHC support? - VIA FW upgrade
6. AF tracking
10. Speed of AF with camera
11. Speed of the new SDM (and if it's other implementation)
Please, no summary lists. This is redundant. Redundant questions deleted.

2., 3., 4., 5., 6. are all answered by my statement in the article that I covered all differences to the K-7. No AF in video (I tested that), no tethering (in the press material), 1/180s, all questions to SXHC answered by SDHC only with no reasons given. Nobody checked that though. AF tracking unlikely. It is predictive as it was for the K-7. But I don't imagine it can predict the next focus point. IMHO, technically unfeasible with 11 AF points only.

10. Feels a lot faster. Almost instant in good light with the (screwdrive) kit lens. Needs true benchmarking though.

I managed on one occasion to still have the AF to audibly refocus a 2nd time for final confirmation (extremely fast though). So, the Pentax genes (verify focus rather than trust it blindly) are still there in the AF ...

11. Question registered.
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Any indication of a replacement for the W90 waterproof compact?
I will ask if I don't forget. I didn't look at P&S cameras at all. But I noted that Pentax had a focus on the RS1000 in the compact department.

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Can you select between 12bit raw and 14bit raw?
Good question. I didn't see such an option when quickly browsing the menu but forgot to ask either.

As the camera is said to ship next month, I guess the user manual will be out soon.
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I guess the user manual will be out soon.
Very good point! I assume it should be available for download from some official Pentax support website?
09-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Hi Falk, if you could check into the below it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Falk, thank you very much for doing this.

Could you do all of us here a big favor:

1. confirm the Buffer Size and if its true it can only hold 8 RAW? [DPReview says 15? is this 12-bit?]

2. can you take a shot with both Lens Corrections settings on and see if it processes any faster? [than the K-7]

3. can we control when to light up the top LCD, and not have it light up automatically after every reading.

09-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Thanks for reporting Falk!
Reading your blog reminded me of the "FF mystery". I have no knowledge of how this exhibition works so I must ask; is more announcements expected or is this "it" for this time? No hints of MILC or FF?
It is it.

There are many journalists still there. But Pentax has no press conference on schedule, so their chance to announce something else is missed.
QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
My questions would be about DFS and the low 1600 bulb ISO max....
The DFS question is duplicate.

The press kit says bulb mode up to ISO 1600.
QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
I understand about that proper benchmarking but could you tell in general terms if you intend to have an other look at the shutter blur issue on the K5 as you did with the K7 or has this become "forbidden area" ?
Proper benchmarking means a series of controlled test shots with a numerical evaluation. Or what I call a lab test. That's not normally possible in a show room situation.

This applies to the AF.S accuracy, AF.S low light speed, AF.C general speed, low light noise, dynamic range, SR efficiency and shutter blur.

If you don't hear about the shutter blur for the K-5 after it is on sale and somebody offered me a body for testing, well, then somebody should look after me
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
I'll add one... What about 12 bit RAW mode?
Duplicate question.
09-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
According to Pentax Germany marketing management: A faster version of the ultrasonic focus motor. But it wasn't answered what DC stands for. For me, the question isn't settled yet. Moreover, it is unclear if a faster SDM would mean a ring type motor as this wasn't known either.
here's an excerpt from the imaging resource article on this issue:

The smc PENTAX-DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens has a built-in Direct Current autofocus motor, and a focus ring that doesn't move during AF operation.
09-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Press kits

I now found an electronic version of the press kit.
  • K-5 (English)
  • K-5 (German)
  • DA 18-135 (English)
The press kit has more info but I have to scan it for more interesting stuff. But I provide the Photokina press kit for everybody here so others have a chance to asnwer questions too

Last edited by falconeye; 04-07-2012 at 07:05 PM.
09-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #56
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some more files: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/114977-pentax-k-5-offi...ml#post1187457 (same K-5 PDF, but there are also the official specsheets for both the camera and the lens).

NB: The ISO is a typo in the pdf. It should read 80-51200. Not sure how pentax let this slip through, hehe

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
here's an excerpt from the imaging resource article on this issue:

The smc PENTAX-DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens has a built-in Direct Current autofocus motor, and a focus ring that doesn't move during AF operation.
Thanks
09-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
NB: The ISO is a typo in the pdf. It should read 80-51200. Not sure how pentax let this slip through, hehe
By the way, Adam, you've got the weight of the K-5 in the specs thread reversed for body only/ with battery and card. Perhaps there is a curse on the specs
09-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The DFS question was solved in Adam's thread (still cannot be disabled). Same for tethering.

With respect to buffer sizes, I mention the following oddity on the press release (German version only, the English one looks like to be expected):
File format compressed:
JPEG ****/***/**/*, RAW(PEF)

File format uncompressed:
RAW(DNG)

Color depth:
3x8 Bit JPEG or 3x12 Bit RAW
Of course, it is strange and the inaccuracy in the press material is stunning. E.g., the English body weights 660g while the German one weights 650g or 670g depending on the page...

But there is a faint possibility that PEF stores 12 Bit color while DNG stores 14 Bit color. It is more likely though they copied the paragraph from the K20D where DNG wasn't compressed at all, not even lossless. Which would mean that the 12 Bit part isn't worth the ink either.
09-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Hi Falk,

On your blog you mentioned that the actual US price is $1399 (and I'm so happy about that)
but then how come here:
PentaxWebstore - Digital SLR Cameras

Pentax post that body only is $1599.95 and $1799.95 w/kit lens?

Can you verify this with Pentax Rep there?
Thanks,
Closed Thread