Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Of course, it is strange and the inaccuracy in the press material is stunning. E.g., the English body weights 660g while the German one weights 650g or 670g depending on the page...

But there is a faint possibility that PEF stores 12 Bit color while DNG stores 14 Bit color. It is more likely though they copied the paragraph from the K20D where DNG wasn't compressed at all, not even lossless. Which would mean that the 12 Bit part isn't worth the ink either.
Yes, I'd chalk it up to another error. Pentax would be very unlikely to limit their own format to only 12bit (and there is certainly no indication of being able to switch 12/14 bit in any RAW type) When you go back, bring a scale and weigh that thing

At this point, I would only trust Pentax Japan for accurate information on the camera. But wait, they have not posted a single thing even mentioning the camera yet

09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Falk,

Imaging resources mentions this of the sensor

"The new sensor design features on-chip analog-to-digital conversion, which has helped Pentax to reduce noise levels across the board."

Is this something new, and if so, what are it's implications?

Thanks.
09-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #63
Pentaxian

A few pressing questions:
Are the seats in the shuttle leather?
Electric motor?

Keep u the good work!
09-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Love to know.

1. Does Pentax have plans for new flashes
2. Teleconverters
3. Why not full manual video controls.

Otherwise camera looks good.

09-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Yes, I'd chalk it up to another error. Pentax would be very unlikely to limit their own format to only 12bit (and there is certainly no indication of being able to switch 12/14 bit in any RAW type) When you go back, bring a scale and weigh that thing

At this point, I would only trust Pentax Japan for accurate information on the camera. But wait, they have not posted a single thing even mentioning the camera yet
I don't get Pentax Japan, their management style makes little to no sense.
09-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Ooh yes - TCs?
09-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Ooh yes - TCs?
Didn't you Kiwi's just get computers and electricity last year ?

hehehe

09-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick question: is the firmware final? It would be easy to check (menu + power on).
09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Hi Falk,

On your blog you mentioned that the actual US price is $1399 (and I'm so happy about that)
but then how come here:
PentaxWebstore - Digital SLR Cameras

Pentax post that body only is $1599.95 and $1799.95 w/kit lens?

Can you verify this with Pentax Rep there?
Thanks,
In this case, my blog knows better than the Pentax Rep

Their list price announced in the Photokina press pack (body only) is 1459,-€ (incl. 19% VAT) and according to the normal price policy, translates back to $1399,- in the States. But US hasn't worked on pricing yet. They are still caught by the D7000 shock which Pentax Germany cannot afford to be because the booth opposite to theirs is full of D7000 ...

As posted on my blog, a first German online store lists the K-5 at 1249,-€ and the D7000 at 1199,-€, just 50€ difference. When both cameras ship, I expect their price to become equal.

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Imaging resources mentions this of the sensor

"The new sensor design features on-chip analog-to-digital conversion, which has helped Pentax to reduce noise levels across the board."

Is this something new, and if so, what are it's implications?
This isn't new. It is a common feature of all newer Sony Exmor sensors. But for the K-x, Pentax didn't mention it. This technology is believed to be responsible for the excellently low read-out noise.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
A few pressing questions:
Are the seats in the shuttle leather?
Electric motor?
No and no.

Actually, the shuttle busses where only used by the Intn'l press tour. The early bird press tour in the morning was walking. The walking was twice as fast
09-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Falk,

thanks so much for all the great detail. it is a mixed blessing for me but if the tethering issue is set in stone and not a chance it will be added with FW then I am forced to switch back to Canon because I only went to the K20D as a stop gap while waiting for the K7 which ended up with no tethering but nice live view, the LV in the K20D is horrid, and now no tethering for the K5 pretty much forces my hand because I need tethering every day for product shots, it makes the image viewable even if the camera is cantilevered over the thing I am shooting so i cannot see any of the settings or screen.

Yeah, I could go with a lowered shooting surface but right now I am not physically able to build such a setup. Plus I am really limited on space so a lowered shooting surface would mean a near complete redesign and build of a new work area. I built my whole shooting area based on being able to tether whatever body I am using. And as I mentioned I use tethering daily...color me seriously bummed by this news.

still thanks for helping me out with the info...it was fun while it lasted I suppose.
09-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I'll go back on Friday and try to clarify a number of items.
Thanks!
We covered "tethering" but what about "plans for tethering", e.g., Adobe LR tethered shooting integration like Canikon? I think I know the answer, though (only Japan knows...).

I didn't try manual focussing with LV.
Thanks for all the info regarding my question. I was mainly wondering how detailed the LV magnification is. I'd love to be able to do accurate focusing for macro shots using LV.

The real problem is that I could talk to nobody from Pentax Japan.

That's sad, really.
I know that the Australian importer for Pentax is at Photokina. If he went through the trouble of doing the journey, why didn't some Japanese officials?
09-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #72

i'm hoping some things like manual video control - dfs and tethered shooting will become availble with firmware - optimistic i know but they want to make the k5 stand out some more and such simple things to do and if they claiming iso 51200 then really noise cant be so much an issue that they dont want us seeing shots without dfs - hell if they really want to fix it to iso 1600 like they dont with bulb

anyway looking forward to hearing abit more about the buffer size - again if they could give us a 5fps setting too so buffer fills abit slower but with the higher speed autofocus so its an improvement over the k7 that would be a nice addition too
09-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Actually, the shuttle busses where only used by the Intn'l press tour. The early bird press tour in the morning was walking. The walking was twice as fast
Yes, yes but how was the tracking?
09-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I stumbled across this link:
K-5 - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Maybe posted before, I don't know.

But it contains the following sentence:
SDXC memory card compatibility (via firmware update).
So, not everything is carved in stone. So, seems we can put SDXC onto the list.
09-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks for all the info regarding my question. I was mainly wondering how detailed the LV magnification is. I'd love to be able to do accurate focusing for macro shots using LV.
From the printed material, the magnification levels are the same (10x in manual). But of course, the quality could be better. Have to check.
Closed Thread