Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you referring to this post by GordonBGood?
He doesn't call it a trick but points out that 14bit are overkill for capturing the dynamic range of the sensor (if identical to that of the SONY A55). If he's right, let's hope that there will be a 12bit mode or that software like LR will be able to convert to 12bit DNG.
And now read this post by GordonBGood:
Re: 14 bit might help with...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Quotation from it:
It appears that the file sizes aren't the extra 4 MBytes per file larger as if Pentax implemented the extra "useless" two bits on the least significant end, and may well be using them to add "highlight headroom" and thus will ace DPR's raw "Dynamic Range" test!

09-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If you don't hear about the shutter blur for the K-5 after it is on sale and somebody offered me a body for testing, well, then somebody should look after me
Thanks Falk. I will follow your test on this before I decide to upgrade to K5 . You have seen my sample pics (wooden latern) that concern me and make me believe that I have to change gear this year. So many pics of mine are wide angle with around 1/100 that I don`t want to work around this issue. Hope you will do this sooner than later.
I am gratefull about your opinion and work !
09-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
GordonBGood says that 14 bit mode (only) plays a low-down trick with IQ of K-5 in some situations. Can you comment it?
Maybe if you provide a source so I can see what he said exactly.
Are you referring to this post by GordonBGood?
He doesn't call it a trick but points out that 14bit are overkill for capturing the dynamic range of the sensor (if identical to that of the SONY A55). If he's right, let's hope that there will be a 12bit mode or that software like LR will be able to convert to 12bit DNG.
Ah, ok.
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I think I don't need to add to this discussion.

I said before that more than 12 Bit are only needed with very high dynamic range sensors and only if their pixel count isn't high. I would have to do a lab test to say if the 14 Bit in the case of the K-5 help or not. They certainly wouldn't have helped with the K-7. Technically, as long as you capture the black noise then the Bit depth is high enough.

In case of the K-x at ISO 100, Bit 12.2 is a random pattern (SNR of 0dB). In the Full SNR curve at DxO, the curve would drop sharply to the left if quantization noise would set in at Bit 12 which is a luminosity level of 0.024%. As you can see, there is no such effect. The K-5 has more pixels and would need it even less. Except if it would have stunning dynamic range.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-21-2010 at 04:24 AM.
09-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I have a question about bracketing and MLU.
IIRC, you cannot use exposure bracketing and mirror lock-up at the same time. They are accessed through the same menu.
Now, if you can put bracketing on the RAW button, is it then possible?
You are good in asking questions nobody has thought about before
Question registered.

09-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #95
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are good in asking questions nobody has thought about before
Question registered.
Ask please
1. about video control and AF in video mode.
2. firmware update to offer 4-5 fps speed mode with 12 bit RAW with bigger buffer?
09-21-2010, 04:38 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ask please
1. about video control and AF in video mode.
2. firmware update to offer 4-5 fps speed mode with 12 bit RAW with bigger buffer?
1. Redundant question.
2. The 4-5 fps (or better yet, adjustable mid speed) is a good recommendation. At hi burst mode, the buffer fills in 1s (raw)

However, I am pessemistic about a chance to implement a 12 Bit mode. AFAIK, the sensor does the A/D conversion and you read 14 Bit off chip. I agree that a truncation to 12 Bit could be done right in the loop reading in the frame buffer. But you would have to rewrite the firmware to cope with two types of raw: 12 and 14 Bits. If it's just a parameter in the algorithms, then it may be done though. Not if it's a compile time constant...
09-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #97
ogl
Banned

1. Redundant question.
2. The 4-5 fps (or better yet, adjustable mid speed) is a good recommendation. At hi burst mode, the buffer fills in 1s (raw)

However, I am pessemistic about a chance to implement a 12 Bit mode. AFAIK, the sensor does the A/D conversion and you read 14 Bit off chip. I agree that a truncation to 12 Bit could be done right in the loop reading in the frame buffer. But you would have to rewrite the firmware to cope with two types of raw: 12 and 14 Bits. If it's just a parameter in the algorithms, then it may be done though. Not if it's a compile time constant...
Alpha 100 firmware update 1.04 | Photoclub Alpha

Do you remember firmware for A100?
Yes, they tweaked speed significantly...

09-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Didn't you Kiwi's just get computers and electricity last year ?

hehehe
got pcs but still no power have to wind handle
Pete
09-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is the DFS question really settled?
Where?
Who has seen it in the menu?
09-21-2010, 05:22 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Pete
Impressive! just wait till you get those fancy flying machines and talkin' pictures!
09-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
yeah and keyboards are cheap no keys for punctuation even shift key is missing
09-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Impressive! just wait till you get those fancy flying machines and talkin' pictures!
Kiwis are like Penguins... they canīt fly. But they are not like in certain countries, where only 20% of the citizens vote, and 100% cry about the bad economic situation...

I wish some ******s (as a british friend call them) stop whining and look at the bright side of life (as the Monthy Pytonīs sung). Didnīt you realized that the k-5 is a great advance? If you donīt, just keep the camera you have already on your inventory, or go to the dark side (soncanikon). Who freakinīcares about your f**king tears??

Iīm tired of this stupid discussions and tears. One day you say "wait for photokina and you will amazed", and the other day you begin with whining against Pentax because the K-5 is not better than the D3s...

Iīm happy! Yesterday I sold my k-20d for 1100 U$S, and as soon as I can, I will get a k-5 and keep shooting pics as yesterday, and maybe with better quality on high Isoīs...

Now you can say whatever you want about this post... I really donīt care!

09-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #103
Veteran Member

yeah and keyboards are cheap no keys for punctuation even shift key is missing
ClassA you should migrate over the Tasman, we got this fancy Centrelink thing that all the Kiwi refugees love
09-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Hello Falk,

Can you check the image quality of 18-135mm and how fast.

thanks.
09-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Sorry if it's duplicate request, but I didn't read whole thread

So, the request is: can you take some pictures with K-5 and upload them ?
Closed Thread