Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Seems as if something funny is going on in the blue channel... But perhaps that is from LR2 color noise reduction?

09-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I uploaded an image in full size, developped from a RAW file.

ISO 6400, DNG developped in LR2 with all settings default (which includes a mild treatment of brightness, contrast, 25% radius 1 sharpening and almost unnoticeable 25% color noise reduction). Color temperature is 2900K.

Click the image to see it full size.

Note that the image wasn't scaled to the lower resolution of a K-7 or K-x and therefore, noise isn't comparable 1:1. There is some color noise which means it doesn't beat physics

There is a second version of the image with different LR settings in the gallery after you click the image.

DISCLAIMER: This is from firmware version 0.30 and from a prototype camera. Don't draw final conclusions from this sample. However, changes in the firmware make RAW files differ less in final versions than JPEG files.
ummmmm....Faaaaalk...thanks for the shot, that is nice ISO6400 but that is not what caught my attention. What got me is, there is GPS data in the file. I thought I read there was no GPS function in the K5? So did you enter that info? Or did I go blind at just the wrong time or perhaps selectively and miss there is indeed a GPS function on the K5? Now that would be truly sexy for those who wander far and wide...or across the street for that matter. Then again for us at home it basically would give the location of my spare bedroom, errr, "office".

I am still cranky over the tethering thing as I can't keep more than one body and genuinely need slightly more multi-purpose from my gear so I can pay for more gear.

And again, just super effort getting us all this information. I really appreciate the feedback from such an impartial source.
09-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #123
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I uploaded an image in full size, developped from a RAW file.

ISO 6400, DNG developped in LR2 with all settings default (which includes a mild treatment of brightness, contrast, 25% radius 1 sharpening and almost unnoticeable 25% color noise reduction). Color temperature is 2900K.
So how big is this file? Is it a 12-bit RAW or a 14-bit RAW? How many pics can you take in a single burst of RAW at Hi-continues shooting before the buffer reaches its limits?
09-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I am impressed. Subjectively, this seems to match ISO 1600 on the K-7.
That's likely.

But really, in oder to know, one must do a proper lab test or at least compare shots 1:1 taken in the same way.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Seems as if something funny is going on in the blue channel... But perhaps that is from LR2 color noise reduction?
I think its from tungsten light where some sun rays still make it into the photograph

09-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Note that Adobe is not supporting the K-5 as of present.
This can result in all kinds of strange things.

Ther will probably be also a new version of the Pentax software.
09-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #126
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Well, as it turns out I will have to go #%¤!"#! after all.
So here goes: What-the-#%¤!"#! are they doing? Why can't they let me decide if I want DFS or not?
Actually, somebody on some german forum I won't mention here (because they #%¤!"# too much) says that DFS is indeed configurable, and he has switched it to on/off/auto himself in the menu. I don't know how realiable that information is, though, or if Pentax still does DFS on exposures longer than 30s regardless of settings, or even if it will make it into the production firmware.
09-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #127

i am curious on the DC motor of the new lens. Falk, were you able to compare the speed of an existing SDM lens with the new DC lens? whats your feeling?

09-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to be thick headed here., but I have no idea of what DFS means? Can you elaborate for me. Thankx.
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Dark frame subtraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Thanks for the ISO 6400 shot, Falk! Great subject because the lighting is difficult. It looks great to my eye though, my K-7 just doesn't cut it at that ISO.

I also noted the GPS data in the shot; this is the first time I saw my Google Chrome Exif tool show the location. Did you make some fun with us?
09-21-2010, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Note that Adobe is not supporting the K-5 as of present.
This is why I shot DNG. DNG should have an embedded camera profile.

QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
if Pentax still does DFS on exposures longer than 30s regardless of settings, or even if it will make it into the production firmware.
On my list. Must really be tried out for bulb and it may depend on iso too.

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
i am curious on the DC motor of the new lens. Falk, were you able to compare the speed of an existing SDM lens with the new DC lens? whats your feeling?
On my list for Friday.
09-21-2010, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #132
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I also noted the GPS data in the shot; this is the first time I saw my Google Chrome Exif tool show the location. Did you make some fun with us?
All my photos are geotagged (except where privacy is concerned). The location should show you the Photokina exhibition area.

Unlike D7000, the K-5 doesn't support a logger though. Not a problem for me because I prefer the logger to sit in my photo bag to be synched when I read the SD card..
09-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unlike D7000, the K-5 doesn't support a logger though. Not a problem for me because I prefer the logger to sit in my photo bag to be synched when I read the SD card..
A bit off-topic but I'm also using a separate GPS logger, and I'm wondering what kind of work flow you're using to geotag them? I'm using the free GPicSync, it works well but it's quite slow and not integrated into LR.
09-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Falk, please let me add two questions to my list:

4. does the SR activate any faster when half-pressing the Shutter? Does the SR Hand Icon in the VF light up any quicker?

5. is there any visual feedback in the VF or top LCD to show the second tilt axis of the level meter or is it only shown in the rear LCD?

thank you.
Hi Falk, I asked some general usability questions about the K-5 that I don't think have been asked by anyone else. Have you had a chance to look at them, you've been very thorough otherwise, thanks again.
09-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #135
Forum Member

Hi Falk,
Is there really no word from Pentax about any new lenses, especially in the range of 400/f4 or even a 500mm ?
Closed Thread