Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Falk, thank you very much for doing this.

Could you do all of us here a big favor:

1. {answered}

2. can you take a shot with both Lens Corrections settings on and see if it processes any faster?

3. can we control when to light up the top LCD, and not have it light up automatically after every reading.
thnx.

09-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
All my photos are geotagged (except where privacy is concerned). The location should show you the Photokina exhibition area.

Unlike D7000, the K-5 doesn't support a logger though. Not a problem for me because I prefer the logger to sit in my photo bag to be synched when I read the SD card..
I never was aware a device to geotag shots outside the camera even existed. I did a fast google and they are interesting and, as a rule, not too expensive I noticed $40 price range but don't want to derail the thread...so are you still using your XAiOX setup?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/27556-geotagging-w...tml#post245149

If I were mobile that sure would be a nice feature to have...and it's, for a change, inexpensive.
09-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
A bit off-topic but I'm also using a separate GPS logger, and I'm wondering what kind of work flow you're using to geotag them? I'm using the free GPicSync, it works well but it's quite slow and not integrated into LR.
maybe time for a thread on it as all the threads I found are a couple years old now...I know I would find it interesting.
09-21-2010, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'm wondering what kind of work flow you're using to geotag them? I'm using the free GPicSync, it works well but it's quite slow and not integrated into LR.
I use GeoSetter. It writes the data directly into the RAWs and JPGs. Correct, not integrated into LR, but its just one more step when importing.

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Hi Falk, I asked some general usability questions about the K-5
I saw your questions. But I need to try it out and the next chance is Friday only.

QuoteOriginally posted by Camera lucida Quote
Is there really no word from Pentax about any new lenses, especially in the range of 400/f4 or even a 500mm ?
No. But I will ask specifically for a lens above 300mm now.

BTW, I updated the raw file post above to include a link to the original raw file (30MB though).

09-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #140
Veteran Member

What a fantastic boon it is to have someone there =)

Fantastic work, Falk
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #141
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Falk:

Nothing new from Pentax at the show apart from what's been announced already:

Two Optios, the DA L 35mm, DA 18-135mm, K-5, and K-r, right?

Congrats on getting this thread to be #4 on Google! If you'd like a homepage post about any news you might have, just PM me the text you'd like posted. Thanks for the info!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I uploaded an image in full size, developped from a RAW file.
Thanks a lot for posting! It's very hard to judge by one photo only, but despite some noise in there it does actually seem like it could match or beat ISO 800 on my K10D. If that's the case, it will be hard to resist CBA - a 3 stop advantage or more would really be awesome. It would also mean that ISO 12800 could be quite usable - but I'm not sure what the ISO 51k is for yet.

09-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #143
Inactive Account

This is a little OT but I know you have some interest in the Foveon tech, have you had a chance to go over to Sigma's booth and check out their new camera?
09-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Falk,
Thank you very much for the early prototype image - looks really good for 6400ISO, but will wait for more detailed comparison shots before drawing conclusions.

I do authorized promo shots and dress rehearsal shots for a local playhouse organization, they will not permit flash or any lightening of the theatre for photography purposes. For intentionally dark theatre scenes, i now get by wtih my K20 by using Topaz 5 or LR3 for 3200/6400 shooting. I will very likely get either the Kr or K5 for this purpose as it would greatly reduce work that i am now doing for high ISO shots.

So far, i think the new models are a success, better ISO, better AF, the rest of the details are less important to me.
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #145

Thanks for also sharing the RAW file,
I tried some NR with Lightroom 3
first one is with default settings,
that is, 0 Luminance 25 Color NR ; second one is 64 for each

09-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
but I'm not sure what the ISO 51k is for yet.
So you don't have to take your lens cap off to capture an image. :P

Thanks for all of your work, Falk!
09-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It would also mean that ISO 12800 could be quite usable - but I'm not sure what the ISO 51k is for yet.
I suspect that if the K5 had been announced before the D7000 price was known, it wouldn't have had ISO 51.2K. Marketing added it at the last minute so the spec sheet would look more competitive (to the clueless), thus the official video announcing a max 12.8K with that classy popup correction, and the lower figure appearing in many of the press sheets.
09-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #148

i'm more interested in the iso 80 than the 51k - shame wouldn't go down to 50 though - regardless suprised more not been said on that - this not the first aps-c camera to have iso below 100?
09-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #149

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
I suspect that if the K5 had been announced before the D7000 price was known, it wouldn't have had ISO 51.2K. Marketing added it at the last minute so the spec sheet would look more competitive (to the clueless),
That is what I suspected myself, my concern is now the 1600 bulb limit. That may likely be the deal breaker for me... That and forced NR
09-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Was this manually exposed? If so, what were you metering for? I'm trying to determine whether this was or wasn't overexposed, as that can affect results, either positively or negatively.
Closed Thread