Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #301
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Are anybody interested in photos at ISO100-200? Or everybody use cameras only with ISO1600-6400?
Of course!
Any 100/200 sample from the K-5 around?

Mass madness involves makers too, cause the 100iso images from the K-7 are wonderful. So, the main update in this new model is the sensor, and in particular its high iso capabilities. Well it seems they have delivered.

09-23-2010, 01:39 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Falk can you please ask if sdm af speed is increased with all this new tech in the K-5 and I assume not so then ask them why they don't create a menu to choose sdm or screwdrive to get the much faster focusing on their most expensive lenses.

It's a bit of a joke that now their cheaper lenses focus faster than any of their premium DA* line.
09-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ogl be thankful that we aren't asking Falk to take photos with the lens cap on so we can see the shadow noise, like some canon DSLR "photographers".
09-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are anybody interested in photos at ISO100-200?
I'm very interested! But I think I'll wait for nature (flowers, grass texture etc.) shots to really be able to judge them.

09-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #305
Veteran Member

Falk, I am another PF member who really appreciates your work. Thanks for putting your time and effort into the Photokina report, it's been a great job so far.

Are anybody interested in photos at ISO100-200? Or everybody use cameras only with ISO1600-6400?
I would love to see some low ISO samples too, if at all possible.

cheers!
09-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #306
ogl
Banned

The main question - is this sensor + Pentax technologies good and well-balanced with colours, contrast, details at low ISO?

K-7 has rather good colours for CMOS sensor. Can we wait for the same from K-5?
If K-5 offers the good IQ in RAW (with low AA filter like K-x) at low ISO, I will think about buying this camera more seriously...

Good AF + good IQ (not like 7D, please!!!) = it's enough for me.

The main trump of Pentax was and is = outstanding IQ from RAW.

I hope we can see the same from K-5.
09-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #307

To compare crops from high ISO became the obsessional idea among a lot of users...
The reviews of cameras help marketers to sell MP and noise-reduction technologies.
And a lot users are involved in mass madness...

I've made more than 40 000 pictures from my DSLR and have only ~ 100 pictures at ISO800.
95% of my photos are made at ISO100-200.
Maybe that's because you knew the IQ would suffer above ISO400?

I rarely use ISO800 or above, but if I had a camera giving clean results at ISO1600 I'm certain I'd use it more often, because I could use a smaller aperture or a shorter exposure time. It's the exact same thing with image stabilization: I'm sure you have more pictures taken at 1/10 now that ten years ago!

09-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #308
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
Mass madness involves makers too, cause the 100iso images from the K-7 are wonderful. So, the main update in this new model is the sensor, and in particular its high iso capabilities. Well it seems they have delivered.
Aye. The main complaints about the K-7 were the relatively poor high ISO performance and AF speed, and now both of those complaints have been addressed. If the price drops down (to be fair, I don't think Pentax could've predicted the D7000, which is what every reviewer will probably compare it to,) then it's a killer.

And three cheers for Falk! He's Pentax Forum's more coherent Hunter S. Thompson!
09-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #309
ogl
Banned

AF speed of K-7 is not poor. high ISO? It seems it's better than ISO800 at my K200D.
09-23-2010, 02:40 AM   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't normally imply anything if I state facts. I just noticed the absorber pad in the bottom of the shutter box. In the shutter blur study, we had to make wild guesses about a hard stop of the shutter blades or not. So, I thought it is an interesting detail to note.

Now, for the implications, it would depend if it is any different with the K-7. Unfortunately, the photo made from the K-7 cut out model lack the sufficient quality to tell. At least I am not able to say if there is the absorber pad or not.

If anybody has a better photo or better eyes ...
Its possible....the shutter blur issue is a bummer on K-7's out in the field.
Once the problem is known and analysed, experienced engineers would likely have little difficulty mitigating or neutralising the issue in a fresh model like the K-5
09-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #311

why no new lens road map? where's my 1.4 tc?
09-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #312
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by artificialillum Quote
So for those who are interested, I did a comparison of the K20D and Falk's K-5 image. I tried to follow Falk's processing settings (opened in CS3 with default color noise reduction (25%) and sharpening (25%, radius 1, detail 25 sharpening), saved as quality 10 jpgs, and then took samples from the JPGs at a light, medium, and dark area of the frame.

Two options:
1) It isn't, and Adam should update the post on the front page of this website...
2) High ISO on the K-7 is worse than the K20D
artificialillum, thanks for the work. While I think your general conclusions are correct more or less, I fear you made a mistake in doing the comparison.

It seems you took my other sample (the defocussed one) which is the perfect choice to compare noise at various gay levels (defocussed to hide the printer texture). However, this other sample was developed with different settings (all flat rather than default), as described in the image caption. This does affect noise comparisons.

Moreover, around ISO 1600, the K-7's SNR is about 1/2 stop worse than K20D (1.5dB). And the K-5's resolution is higher, translating to a 10% difference when comparing ISO.

Then, I agree that the advantage is about 1.5 - 2 stops. Adams claim is not backed by this thread. I PM'ed him. Still, he didn't change the Homepage post. He "wants" the traffic, even if the news post isn't serious

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Falk, can you comment on the ease of SD card removal on the K-5 compared to the K-7 (which was not the greatest according to many).
I "felt" no difference to my K-7. But OTOH, I handle the SD card in my K-7 with ease now and think it should be exactly like this. My notebook's cardreader has the same "stop" and I really think it is the SD card standard (card must eject but not jump out when pressed). Don't know though.

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
there is the additional (to the color sensor) new 'light wave sensor" for faster AF, stated in the Pentax imaging K5 video.
Nic, I don't know about a "light wave sensor". And don't force me to watch the video with the clueless Pentax clowns.
09-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #313
Inactive Account

From people who watched the video (and our thoughts and sympathy go out to them,) it is apparently a temperature meter, which forms the "+" in SAFOX IX+.
09-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #314
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regarding Falk's DNG:
It is possible to open the DNG in Pentax DCU 4.21, but you cannot manipulate it.
But it looks good in DCU4.
In contrast it looks noisy in ACR6.
Just opened, everything set to default.
I did 100% screen dumps because I couldn't safe from DCU.

I don't want to say that this means anything, but just that we should wait for official software releases.
Attached Images

09-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
From people who watched the video (and our thoughts and sympathy go out to them,) it is apparently a temperature meter, which forms the "+" in SAFOX IX+.
And thus it's nothing new; the K-7 already has that (the "+" in SAFOX VIII+)
Closed Thread