Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
- AF is not faster with SDM lenses. I have tested this.
Can you qualify this a little bit?

I understand that the lens motor cannot move faster but I would expect a faster lock from the K-5. One of the things that kills AF performance on Pentax cameras is the small adjustment at the end of the focus cycle. The K-7 sometimes focus in one stop, but most often will do 2-3 small adjustments at the end.

I would also expect less hesitation in very low light, and AF-C should be more responsive, SDM or not.

09-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #422
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Hi Blende, did you get to try this combo for yourself at PK, or the new DA35/2.4 with the K5?
...I can imagine the SDM lenses can't AF any faster then they are built. But screwmount should be a different story?
Screwmount was never a problem. The camera motor ist very fast and strong.
If the lens has a steep focus throw, it will focus very fast.
I agree that the DA35 is very fast, but so was already the FA35.

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
But, what did you feel ? is the 18-135 faster than a normal SDM lens ? Fast like a nikon silentwave or canon usm ?
Faster than SDM, yes.
It is difficult to campare this. One needs a specific lens/camera combo to compare.
I can only say, for me the speed is ok, for such a lens.
09-25-2010, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #423
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Can you qualify this a little bit?

I understand that the lens motor cannot move faster but I would expect a faster lock from the K-5. One of the things that kills AF performance on Pentax cameras is the small adjustment at the end of the focus cycle. The K-7 sometimes focus in one stop, but most often will do 2-3 small adjustments at the end.

I would also expect less hesitation in very low light, and AF-C should be more responsive, SDM or not.
I must say that I haven't checked this in detail. This needs careful preparation.
I can only say that the difference, whatever it is, is more subtle and not immediately recognizable, at least not for me.
09-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #424
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You don't know how sad I am to hear this
For me, this means I will not be able to continue with the Pentax line for my work.

I don't know why Pentax ever thought this would be acceptable for existing owners, but it seems that someone at HQ insists on devaluating new camera's from their predecessors.

The worst part, is that I will miss the place the most
Oh well.. I guess I can say Pentax has served me well in my photographic development. I did most of my progress and work on the K20D.

I'd also like to say(on record), that I go to Nikon FF not out of choice, but because Pentax forced my hand into it. Not really the way I would have liked to make my choice tbh.

It took me three+ years to build my glass kit with Pentax btw.
It makes me very sad to think I will have to sell it in favor of a few Nikkor zooms.
personally, I've never understood this ... isn't memory cheap? wouldn't putting a LARGER buffer on a DSLR be the simplest upgrade possible???

btw sorry to hear about your disappointment... I agree, this blows

09-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #425
emr

I think that blende8 found out some depressing facts, but thanks for bringing the info anyhow. It seems Pentax is operating on so tight economics that they really calculate where they can get short term profits. Considering brand loyality and long term profits this does not sound too good. Won't do this, can't do that, don't sell this, don't plan that.
09-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #426
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I must say that I haven't checked this in detail. This needs careful preparation.
I can only say that the difference, whatever it is, is more subtle and not immediately recognizable, at least not for me.
Methinks the K-5 may be designed with the new DC or SDM or whatever in mind.
That SDM has reached the limit now.

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I think that blende8 found out some depressing facts, but thanks for bringing the info anyhow. It seems Pentax is operating on so tight economics that they really calculate where they can get short term profits. Considering brand loyality and long term profits this does not sound too good. Won't do this, can't do that, don't sell this, don't plan that.
And everybody laughing at Canon with the 60D. Maybe Nikon can be accused of the same, they had the D400 and said, no wait, that is just a successor, letīs present this as something entirely new. I mean, in these days, if you cannot make short term profit, big chance longterm profit is not even worth considering. These times ask for `short term profit`.

On DPRīs `what do you get excited about this photokina, the K-5 is the third `most exciting news` overall and second most exciting news besides the D7000.
09-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #427
Banned

Well still wait for how the buffer will be in production models of the K-5. There is still no define answer to that question.

09-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
personally, I've never understood this ... isn't memory cheap? wouldn't putting a LARGER buffer on a DSLR be the simplest upgrade possible???
It may not be that simple if the motherboard doesn't support more than a certain amount. They may have already put the max memory on the K-7. If Pentax can allow for using 12 bits RAW, the buffer should get back its capacity again. I would be disappointed if 14 bits RAW is only available, especially when most of the time it will not matter and especially not in situations where the buffer would be used to its full capacity. I'm still waiting for the final firmware before jumping the gun.
09-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's too bad really. To me, Pentax's products stand on their own because of its unique system and ergonomics, but that's the sort of thing you can't see from a spec sheet. Until Pentax gets some product in stores in the US, they will continue to be an also-ran here.

@Rondec, it is likely that Pentax is focussing more on its local market than US/Canada now.

I have noticed the difference between Japanese/Asian vs North American consumers. I have recently ordered an IPS monitor from D** and expect the monitor to come in with original packaging - but no, it comes with a re-packaged cellophane wrap to card board and bubble wrap. What is going on here? People bought a brand new item and decided that he/she did not like it and get a total refund? Meanwhile, I ordered a brand-new item and getting the same item that someone decided that he/she didn't like that? Many retailers have a very loose policy for people to return purchased goods with no questions asked. How many retailers will sell "returned" items as new? Pentax as a small company can not play the same game as the others who can afford the extra cost of "try and return" consumer behaviour. I have reason to be believe that none of this will happen in Japan or Asian. If the retailer will accept that, it will be sold as "returned" not new.
09-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #430

Well infact i think all pics and impressions we gained at photokina are more or less useless because:

1.One camera almost always switched into the "debug" mode and i could work with the menu

2. Two of the K-5 just shots 4 raw and 7 JPEGs :S

I think what we are seeing there are some realy bad prototyps/pre-final versions, so i would not count on anything i saw so far, maybe the AF, but i dont assume that it will be slower in final.

And i asked another guy, who denied that tethering shooting will be available, it is not available even for 645D

But maybe (lol) it will be upgrades by firmware.

Ps: JohnBee, maybe you should just wait for the final release ?
09-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #431
m8o
Veteran Member

blende8, Appreciate the concise run-down.

- the market in the USA/Canada is a nothing to Pentax, only France and Germany count besides Japan.
Might this part not have been the [local?] representative speaking towards his/her audiance? ...telling them/you what would make them/you most happy?

Perhaps it's just me, but I have difficulty understanding how a population an order of magnitude larger than what was cited can amount to "nothing".

Either that, or "Pentax is indeed doomed!" just for thinking like that alone.
09-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #432
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the market in the USA/Canada is a nothing to Pentax, only France and Germany count besides Japan.
I think this requires some context. If I remember correctly, this statement applied to expensive high end glass as it is no longer produced by Pentax.

In that context, it was said too that rare Pentax lenses cannot be exported to Europe anymore. Not because the glass may contain lead (RoHS). But because some of the lens element mounts within the lens may contain lead.
09-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #433
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Ps: JohnBee, maybe you should just wait for the final release ?
I will definitely wait.
I guess I'm just really on edge about this factor because I wasn't expecting it.
I just hope it's wrong and that the production units will have a typical RAW buffer size in them. If so, I can get back to being a very happy person
09-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #434
Veteran Member

I will definitely wait.
I guess I'm just really on edge about this factor because I wasn't expecting it.
I just hope it's wrong and that the production units will have a typical RAW buffer size in them. If so, I can get back to being a very happy person

I hope in the end, it works out for you...
09-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #435
m8o
Veteran Member

I will definitely wait.
If anything, curse the Mega-pixel race in addition when cursing Pentax's "lack of vision" in realizing they'd better increase memory buffer size and thru-put when increasing resolution. But even with that, ringers crossed there's some 'debug' code in the firmware slowing things down, and the production firmware will be capable of more.

It's pretty commical how seeminly archaic these speciality devices are in regards to memory hardware utilization when compared to say graphics video card tech.
Closed Thread