Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Silly Ogl, the 1D iv doesn't shoot 11fps when presented with a moving subject in AF-C either.

Shoot AF-S if you want max framerate, just like any other DSLR including the top-of-the-line sports shooters.
I simply didn't switch my brain on...It's 22.12 already. I'm tired.

09-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
hmm.. that looks promising, but it would be nice to inspect the shots, whether they were really in focus.
+1, besides what the camera think is in focus doesn't mean it IS really in focus.. got to see the pictures. but if it does then I am sold
09-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

That K-7 shutter sound sounded nothing like my K-7.

Sound effect added in post?
09-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
Inactive Account

What the heck is he focusing at? And if he's testing AF-C be it focus priority or frame rate priority, why does he stop at certain points and takes multiple pictures without panning the camera. How is this a test of anything...

09-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
What the heck is he focusing at? And if he's testing AF-C be it focus priority or frame rate priority, why does he stop at certain points and takes multiple pictures without panning the camera. How is this a test of anything...
Yes, this is perhaps the silliest "AF" test I have ever seen.

Let's wait and see a proper outdoor test with someting actually moving and not some random shots where the camera refocuses on whatever.

The camera looks awesome and Pentax has always refined their AF from camera to camera so I expect the K-5 to be an excellent performer... but this "test" doesn't show anything.
09-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
I suspect he's focusing at whatever items(areas) are around the room.
Also... notice he stops and holds panning at the camera but the rest is continuous motion(tracking). And finally, did you notice the lower light conditions in the room?

The test is a great example of the difference in AF lock between both units in what we could call none ideal conditions.
Of course it's not a controlled test(pretty early for that), but it does help to show the performance differences between the K-7 and K-5's AF systems.
09-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Google translate a bit better in places

Spanish to English translation

Well, thank Reflecta, I could try for a few days a unit of the Pentax K-5.

The unit tested is a pre-series unit, which is not final, nor is 100% of the performance of K-5 will eventually go on sale. The firmware version you have is 0.10, which says a lot about her. Still, being a preproduction unit, I was struck especially AF.

The question that all you desire to know is: does it really improves the AF of the K-5 with respect to the K-7?
The answer clearly is yes, and pretty.

I work daily with the K-7 since it came out last year and I know very well where are the limits of their AF. The AF of Pentax K-5, is superior and more responsive than the K-7, even in situations approximately 2 EV steps lower.

Where I really noticed a major improvement is the continued focus (AF-C) reaching almost double the capacity of FA-C of the k-7. You can watch a video where comparisons done with the K-5 two tests: one with AF-C, with priority to burst and the other with a priority focus.

In the video you can see proof that you make inside a room with natural light and repeated several times.

I made a circular route along the furniture in the room including the camera that was recording. This was the most complex because it required a re-broad approach was also against the light, also the machine that records video, was 1.5 meters while the wall through which ran the focus was about 3 meters. In this case, the K-5 plunge the approach and continued with the blast, while the K-7 will be stuck in all tests and was the point that the harder it was.

Here's the video:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nv2QGktbw"
target="_blank"> </ a>

Step to give my opinion on various aspects of the camera:
Focus:
The feeling with the camera in his hands, testing and firing shots and I said, is that the focus is more nervous than the K-7, and probably less, especially in low light. Therefore I must say that the new SAFOX IX + is a positive development with respect to the previous version of the K-7 SAFOX VIII +
I will not compare with other cameras and whether one does or is better or worse ... what if it is that the k-5 has so far this "asking" for some time, a more accurate AF and to respond better in situations with less light.
However, the camera in question is a pre-series unit, and it is hoped that the final units are selling even better than this unit tested.
Also the live-view approach has improved even more, purchased with the K-7 even with the 1.10 firmware already improving, now is even better yet.

As for precision approach, I made a hundred photos and I have not encountered problems, better than the K-7.

Noise:
Actually the photos that I made and I can not publish because it was one of the conditions, apparently, is at least 2-3 steps above the k-7. However this unit as I am informed, is unreliable because it is a pre-series, and that the firmware is one of the first Beta, so I shall not make noise tests until we have a final drive.
Nevertheless appreciate a very important breakthrough with respect to the K-7 in the control of noise, exceeding or at least equaling even the kx. This I will be able to assert better when you have a final drive, but as I observed a very good control at high ISOS.

Construction:
Well to say about its construction, which is "equal" to the K-7, for me a camera with an amazing building, with ergonomics, for those with small hands and is perfect for those who have big hands, because with the grip (handle), is "perfect."
All accessories of the K-7 apply for K-5, and I can say little more design and construction of a well-known by everyone.
As construction detail indicate that the AF change lever now has a more ergonomic design, and feels more robust, with a precise drive, as in the K-7, the points where changed to AF-S AF- C and MF did not end to be well defined and was difficult to operate it without looking, now K-5 if you have a better feel, and only blind can be switched to the touch, if necessary.

Shutter:
The K-5 continues to hold a filling of soft and silent as the K-7, despite having risen to 7 fps

Video
Now the K-5 features a 1960x1080 Full HD video, a point in the K-7 did not arrive, and it was a catch for lovers of recorded video not Full HD at the K-7, point passed by the new K-5

Other improvements:
HDR: Well, the camera comes with a good list of small and large improvements, including for example I like the following:
HDR images with auto alignment: This option is useful for many, for example, saves me a lot of work. In the K-7 is a function that I used a lot of indoor and outdoor photography, especially by 360 x180 panoramic views.
HDR function almost allowed me to split the job in March, but the HDR of the K-7 had a problem and was at times despite using a tripod and a panoramic labeled, double images were generated because they did not engage in self- aligned, this is now a thing of the past ... thanks to the K-5 incorporates this function.

User Modes: The camera lets you create five user settings, even give them a name. This function is very useful, allowing you to have different job levels and custom settings for quick access.

Noise Reduction:
Although the unit used is not complete in terms of noise reduction options, the new K-5 allows for multiple configurations, allowing deactivate, or configure different levels according to whether each value of ISO.
I hope to have an end unit so as to maximize even the camera work on the parameters of NR reduction.

Areas for improvement:
Like everything else, nothing is perfect, and neither K-5, but almost, to improve, the only areas for improvement in future models, or by a firmware update (if possible) would in my opinion, a little more buffer, as they burst in RAW "only" can do eight pictures in a row without the limit speed sd card storage, though the truth who cares really work the blast, my advice is to work with JPG, and which can be a real ordeal to have to work with hundreds or thousands of photos, about the same burst of some event, Kane weight with 16 Mpx.
The second aspect can be improved is the flash sync speed in manual which is still 1 / 180, but otherwise the lovers of flash lighting we "give away" average path length to be working to ISO 80 .
I also say by way of reflection, speaking from my experience in many outdoor session I made with flash that despite the timing limit 1 / 180, I have no problem making all kinds of flash shots, including the most complex light level even with direct backlighting of the setting sun in the hours with more light.
That half-step, 1 / 180 to 1 / 250, is not so important, I just hope that in the future is salvageable, or HSS mode, allow manual use of power.

EXIF: PENTAX - PENTAX K-7 - 23.13mm - 1/60s - f/7.1 - ISO 400 - Flash: Yes - Date: 2010:09:20 12:03:24
Objective used: UNKNOWN NS / NC [+ info]

Final conclusions:
Finally, I must say that Pentax has developed on the basis of the K-7, a professional field camera, editing, improving and moving forward, many aspects of K-7
This new K-5 can be considered a professional camera all full, strong, robust, practical and functional, as if you need a computer "small and light, in combination with the lens Limited, a computer becomes very light and powerful and if you need "strength and size" may be incorporated into the grip bg-4 becoming a machine with perfect ergonomics, an extremely robust machine.

It is also a machine with a good approach, fast and accurate, with a 16Mp resolution, with a very good noise control at high ISOS, good burst, etc ...

In conclusion, we asked:
Best AF
More blast
Best response to high ISOS
More resolution ...
Greater noise reduction controls
More configuration options.
etc, etc ...
All this and much more is found in the Pentax K-5

Regards ...

Read more at: # # ixzz105LnJHFD https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115094-k-5-auto-focus-...red-k-7-a.html
09-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
In continuous AF mode, the options are focus priority, or frame rate priority. The former requires an AF lock for each individual frame in the burst, while the latter replicates the K-7's behaviour by emphasising frame rate for each shot in the burst, even if this means a lock can't be achieved for individual frames in the burst."
Unfortunately, this feature is fairly meaningless w/o some tests on the %images that are in focus.
AF-C worked ok for me on the K20D because that gave it shutter release priority, but it'd be nice to have actual prediction of an object's movement when you pressed the AF button instead of the simplistic "focus, beep, focus, beep" AF-C of the K7/K20D...
It should be obvious whether it has real prediction by looking at the configurable settings...for prediction to work properly, you have to be able to configure it (I think the 1D has at least 10 settings)...

09-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Unfortunately, this feature is fairly meaningless w/o some tests on the %images that are in focus.
AF-C worked ok for me on the K20D because that gave it shutter release priority, but it'd be nice to have actual prediction of an object's movement when you pressed the AF button instead of the simplistic "focus, beep, focus, beep" AF-C of the K7/K20D...
It should be obvious whether it has real prediction by looking at the configurable settings...for prediction to work properly, you have to be able to configure it (I think the 1D has at least 10 settings)...
Exactly. If the K-5 has predictive AF, he's certainly not making use of it in his test as his subject is clearly changing from shot to shot. This is much more of a test of how fast the AF can refocus. Given it may be able to refocus very quickly on the same subject as it moves (sampling the subject distance), it is not actively changing focus with the subject (following the subject distance). Now granted predictive AF also atains most information from sampling but it can extrapolate the data in between the samples such that the focus drive keeps moving between shutters (as is my understanding).

I've read somewhere that the K-5 has predictive AF but if it did, Pentax would be the first tell us.
09-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Well, I'm so not a pro and rarely use autofocus, but to say that this test doesn't have value seems a bit unfair. The guy says he has used a K-7 on a regular basis, so he's familiar with it's performance. For him to be so positive tells us something... scientific or not. Really no different than a user posting a lens review in the database here or giving an opinion in a forum post. Maybe he's a viral marketer for Pentax, who knows, but I'd think he would mention out of focus shots if they were a problem. looks like a nice camera. My $.02.