Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #91
nah

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Too many choices to pick from!!!

For me at introduction the K-5 is too expensive and I want to buy my first DSLR soon!!!
- Should I go for premium priced K-r?
- Or should I go for cheap K-7/K-x and upgrade later?

4 APC Camera's is just too much!!! (at dPreview I read some posts stating both K-x and K-7 won't be phased out soon...)
Get the best camera you can afford.

09-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #92
Forum Member

Too many choices to pick from!!!

For me at introduction the K-5 is too expensive and I want to buy my first DSLR soon!!!
- Should I go for premium priced K-r?
- Or should I go for cheap K-7/K-x and upgrade later?

4 APC Camera's is just too much!!! (at dPreview I read some posts stating both K-x and K-7 won't be phased out soon...)
If you think the K-5 will still be too expensive upon release and want a camera sooner than later I would say go for the K-7, unless you really need the low-light qualities of the K-x or (maybe) the K-r.

On the same token, if you do feel that you would eventually be upgrading to a K-5 at some point no matter which camera you happen to choose now then perhaps now you should get whichever camera body happens to be cheapest (the K-x, unless you find a used K-7) and use the money you'd save on the body to afford a higher-quality lens then you would otherwise get if purchased in a kit. Bodies come and go, but if you buy a good lens from the start it will shine now and continue to shine even brighter as newer bodies come along to take advantage of the optics.

That being said, it may not be "pro" glass, but the new PENTAX-DA 18-135mm weather-resistant lens just announced sounds very promising to me. My first lens was a Sigma 18-125 and I found that an extremely useful focal range with very minimal size and weight. The only thing missing from the Sigma was the weathersealing (and DC motor, if you count that a plus). This new Pentax lens keeps that incredibly useful range, offers weather resistance, and shouldn't be terribly big and heavy. In short, it sounds like a WONDERFUL walkabout lens.

Last edited by TiminyCricket; 09-30-2010 at 12:12 AM.
09-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
Get the best camera you can afford.
And which is the best? The most expensive is always the best?

QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
If you think the K-5 will still be too expensive upon release and want a camera sooner than later I would say go for the K-7, unless you really need the low-light qualities of the K-x or (maybe) the K-r.

On the same token, if you do feel that you would eventually be upgrading to a K-5 at some point no matter which camera you happen to choose now then perhaps now you should get whichever camera body happens to be cheapest (the K-x, unless you find a used K-7) ...
I don't know if I at this point really, really, really need the low-light qualities, but the same holds for the other K-5/7 specific features (no need to list them all here).

- K-5 = 1200 Euro
- K-7 = 840 Euro
- K-r = 620 Euro
- K-x = 430 Euro

Which camera will best keep its value?
Is the K-r actually a better camera for me than the K-7?
Are the obvious improvements of K-r over K-x worth the additional 190 Euro?
09-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #94
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Huh? Where????
At CameraNU.nl in Urk where I bought last year hte K-7 and before the K20D.

09-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #95
Veteran Member

- K-5 = 1200 Euro
- K-7 = 840 Euro
- K-r = 620 Euro
- K-x = 430 Euro
Gosh, prices in Japan - BIC Camera (if available also body only)
- K-5 = 140,000 Yen
- K-7 = 88,800 Yen
- K-r = 75,000 Yen
- K-x = 44,000 Yen (including 18-55 mm kit lens!!!)

Looks like high price premium on K-r (or more discount on K-x) in Japan...
09-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
As I posted in the release thread, I'm quite certain, based on my limited contacts, that Pentax USA doesn't know the real K-5 US price yet. We just have to wait and see what it hits at when it's actually really available.
You've hit the key question: Does Pentax USA act like a captive distributor, "buying" cameras from Pentax corporate and setting its own pricing/promotion/marketing/warranty/support policies to make a target profit or are those all set and (micro-)managed from Pentax HQ?

While the dichotomy is probably not quite that clear, I suspect it's much more like the latter.

Which makes Ned just another salaryman. That's not an insult - I'm simply noting that he may suffer a lot of criticism for things outside his control. No US price may be more evidence of that.
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #97
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read this l in Falk's Blog...and I assume it is correct, it makes sense.
"Both, K-5 and D7000 are announced to ship in October 2010 and you read it here first: when they hit the market, they will sell at equal price. And both cameras should sell very well, according from the first feed back I see."

If so, what's the problem? None for me! I think it is a Great Camera at a great price. This is not a cheap endeavor, even for a hobbyist like me, it still beats some of my other passions. I love motorcycles, and you can easily get up over $50K with just one bike. so this is a bargain for me! I plan to enjoy it to the Max!
Best Regards!

09-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
You've hit the key question: Does Pentax USA act like a captive distributor, "buying" cameras from Pentax corporate and setting its own pricing/promotion/marketing/warranty/support policies to make a target profit or are those all set and (micro-)managed from Pentax HQ?

While the dichotomy is probably not quite that clear, I suspect it's much more like the latter.
Yes, it's a good question.

Since I write camera reviews, I have a contact within Pentax USA's marketing/PR department. All of the information I get from them indicates that they're usually in a wait-and-see-what-comes-from-Japan position on most things.
10-01-2010, 03:17 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
At CameraNU.nl in Urk where I bought last year hte K-7 and before the K20D.
Found it, funny, I looked there not long before you post and then they did not have K-5 yet. Good store, I am a bit moving away from the other two big internet stores towards them now.
Won't order until I see the 18-135 attached.
10-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have noticed some confirmed pricing in Australian, for the K-5 with 18-135mm WR. The RRP is for $2399.00 I can safely say at that price, Nikon's D7000 will shame the sales of the K-5 over here.

It needed to be $1999 RRP, with the body @ $1599 or so to make any sense what so ever. I'm afraid the rumored price being lower than the press release, seems incorrect to the US, Australia and HK.
10-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
I have noticed some confirmed pricing in Australian, for the K-5 with 18-135mm WR. The RRP is for $2399.00 I can safely say at that price, Nikon's D7000 will shame the sales of the K-5 over here.

It needed to be $1999 RRP, with the body @ $1599 or so to make any sense what so ever. I'm afraid the rumored price being lower than the press release, seems incorrect to the US, Australia and HK.
Will it make a difference? Even if the NIkon was twice as expensive I am quite sure it would still sell ten times as much..
Even in this recession time, people will still think a more expensive Nikon is better value.
10-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Will it make a difference? Even if the NIkon was twice as expensive I am quite sure it would still sell ten times as much..
Even in this recession time, people will still think a more expensive Nikon is better value.
Good point. Pentax need to do more than price match to put perception in the overall marketplace (other than us Pentax users) that a Pentax DSLR is a viable option. When my colleagues and I chat about what DSLR they or their children should get when I mention a Pentax it's always the first time they've heard the suggestion in the same sentence of the big two. At least here in the U.S. Pentax really has their work cut out for them and, yes, we're not talking about a drop in the K-5 price as the solution, and neither is the problem that they need to make a better camera.
10-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
At least here in the U.S. Pentax really has their work cut out for them and, yes, we're not talking about a drop in the K-5 price as the solution, and neither is the problem that they need to make a better camera.
So that leaves... MARKETING! (are you listening, Pentax?)
10-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #104
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yes, it's a good question.

Since I write camera reviews, I have a contact within Pentax USA's marketing/PR department. All of the information I get from them indicates that they're usually in a wait-and-see-what-comes-from-Japan position on most things.
dang. that must be frustrating. the market in nippon isn't the same as here in the US.

if that's the case, it's little wonder why pentax is a relatively unknown brand in the US
10-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #105

In case anyone missed Henry Posner's post in the B & H forum regarding the copy used on their site:

"The fact is we got reams of information from Nikon USA well before the camera was released and this gave us ample information and time to prepare an extensive writeup.

By contrast we got nothing from Pentax USA other than what they'd posted on their site and and this became available just before our recent week-long Sukkot hiatus."

Can't get more concrete than that.

BTW the nice weather yesterday caused me to saunter down to Coney Island with some friends. Always lots of cameras toted around. Just for the heck of it I kept track of DSLRs for a chunk of time. Canon: 33, Nikon: 23, Olympus: 3, Pentax O (I was off duty, or it would have been 1).