Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #106
Site Supporter

Pentax Marketing ... "asleep at the shutter"

10-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
In case anyone missed Henry Posner's post in the B & H forum regarding the copy used on their site:

"The fact is we got reams of information from Nikon USA well before the camera was released and this gave us ample information and time to prepare an extensive writeup.

By contrast we got nothing from Pentax USA other than what they'd posted on their site and and this became available just before our recent week-long Sukkot hiatus."

Can't get more concrete than that.

BTW the nice weather yesterday caused me to saunter down to Coney Island with some friends. Always lots of cameras toted around. Just for the heck of it I kept track of DSLRs for a chunk of time. Canon: 33, Nikon: 23, Olympus: 3, Pentax O (I was off duty, or it would have been 1).
i'm curious what "reams of information" is and how much of it really matters to anyone... and why is Pentax the bad guy all of a sudden for not watching out a religious holiday?
10-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #108
Site Supporter

it's not the religious holiday that's the issue. it's the anticipation of each company's marketing department to get the word out on their latest and greatest product.

nikon as usual did a fantastic job, while pentax, zzzzz

we want pentax to garner more of the user base, be better known, but Pentax's OWN marketing is not doing @#$%R!@#$@#$% about it!

no one know if Pentax USA's hands are tied by corporate Hoya in japan. maybe they are, maybe they're frustrated as well,
who knows? maybe ned bunnell will just call it quits out of frustration?

bottom line is, they have 2 new, good DSLRS, MAKE THE WORLD KNOW TODAY, not NEXT YEAR!
10-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #109

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
In case anyone missed Henry Posner's post in the B & H forum regarding the copy used on their site:

"The fact is we got reams of information from Nikon USA well before the camera was released and this gave us ample information and time to prepare an extensive writeup.

By contrast we got nothing from Pentax USA other than what they'd posted on their site and and this became available just before our recent week-long Sukkot hiatus."
How long does it take them to cut and paste from press material? Its not as if they're doing their own tests, just regurgitating prewritten guff that's so far over the top it reads as though they're taking the p**s...

10-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
it's not the religious holiday that's the issue. it's the anticipation of each company's marketing department to get the word out on their latest and greatest product.

nikon as usual did a fantastic job, while pentax, zzzzz

we want pentax to garner more of the user base, be better known, but Pentax's OWN marketing is not doing @#$%R!@#$@#$% about it!

no one know if Pentax USA's hands are tied by corporate Hoya in japan. maybe they are, maybe they're frustrated as well,
who knows? maybe ned bunnell will just call it quits out of frustration?

bottom line is, they have 2 new, good DSLRS, MAKE THE WORLD KNOW TODAY, not NEXT YEAR!
you seem pretty worked up about this, do you have the latest market share statistics going back to.. well lets say 2003?

By your position it seems Pentax occupies the hands of 5 people, 4 of them on this board.

Id like to see where pentax actually is before saying how good or bad their marketing efforts have been.
10-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
How long does it take them to cut and paste from press material? Its not as if they're doing their own tests, just regurgitating prewritten guff that's so far over the top it reads as though they're taking the p**s...
I think some of the implication is that it's not great to get nothing until the last minute, and then be pointed to the same minute amount of copy that is posted on their site, so that if you do copy and paste it'll be the same words people have already seen, and it gives the impression that you don't have anything to offer in your presentation. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but if I think about my clients who are helpful to me throughout the year, touching base with me and updating our infos with each other without constant haranguing from me, and the ones who are ghosts until five minutes before showtime, the former get more of my cooperation than the latter.

Send me the freaking copy already so I can make a page. I've had your current arch enemy's all done for weeks!

It's called "Servicing The Client", and if Pentax cab't even service one of the biggest camera sellers in the U.S. (you MUST come by on a Sunday and see all the tourists on their way back to Kennedy airport at the B & H kiosks. It's as hopping as a store gets), then it doesn't have a chance. If the Nikon kiosk, with all the signs and floor models, is booming and the Pentax one, without them, is dead, who would you blame?

Last edited by hut234; 10-04-2010 at 02:50 PM.