Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
- at least at yodobashi.com
In Sweeden, the K-5 is actually cheaper than the D7000...

09-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
In Sweeden, the K-5 is actually cheaper than the D7000...
Where?

These are the prices I found (from known sellers)

Nikon d7000 10990 sek. (cyberphoto)
Pentax k-5 11995 sek. (scandinavianphoto)
09-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Where?

ScandinavianPhoto's website: www.scandinavianphoto.se

Also CaNiPen a well known Finnish store sells the D7000 and K5 at exactly same price: 1149 Eur
09-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #64

Well, one effect this is DEFINITELY going to have, on the US market, is that none of us who are nearly certain to get one soon will go for it while it's listed at $1,600, because it's fairly clear it will drop a few hundred in short order. So there might be quite a false market sense that it's not a successful release. Even Amazon's guarantee only counts if it drops before it ships out to you. I know that before these reports on other countries' pricings came out I was resigned to paying $1,600 (it's a worthwhile upgrade from my K10D), but now...I wait, because it's looking to be officially less sooner than a response to Nikon would have been.

09-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #65
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 very expensive. I think the D-7000 is more ideal upgrade from my K-x.
I think I'm going back to Nikon.....
09-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k54 Quote
K-5 very expensive. I think the D-7000 is more ideal upgrade from my K-x.
I think I'm going back to Nikon.....
There's nothing wrong with Nikon tbh.
They have a very good community also: Nikonians :: The Nikon User Community

Good luck and have fun!
09-26-2010, 04:20 AM   #67

Currently we are seeing K-5 prices listed at the maximum suggested retail price for pre-order, i.e. Amazon.com. Few people ever pay suggested retail unless they have money to burn and they want to be the first with the latest. My guess, probably around January 2011 we'll see K-5 prices selling at approximately 20% over for what K-7 prices are at the moment. Currently a K-7 body can be bought on line for about 800 clams thus the K-5 body will be selling for around a grand after January. I could be wrong but this seems to be the trend every year. I was all set to buy a K-7 but will now wait for the K-5. The K-5 should have no noise issues at high ISOs as the K-7 tends to have.

09-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #68
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have compared the features of the D7000 and K5 and find the K5 is more to my liking, but I have a vested interest in some of those features that might be meaningless to new buyers. Time will tell if a Kia priced 25% more than a Ford with similar features will beat out the Ford...but I would be willing to place my bet on the Ford right now. In particular if Kia couldn't even come up with any representatives to answer the many questions their announcement failed to address....and they had already noted they would like to get out of the auto business.

Pentax/Hoya had better find a buyer for Pentax, and quickly, as they have stated they desire, or soon end up with nothing to sell. Their Marketing strategy is absolutely pathetic. An apparent winner in the K5, and a botched announcement and non-competitive pricing....a sure way to succeed at failure. Or as they say, snatching failure from the hands of victory......how often do we see that, and it is always disappointing, isn't it?
Best Regards!
09-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #69
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have compared the features of the D7000 and K5 and find the K5 is more to my liking, but I have a vested interest in some of those features that might be meaningless to new buyers. Time will tell if a Kia priced 25% more than a Ford with similar features will beat out the Ford...but I would be willing to place my bet on the Ford right now. In particular if Kia couldn't even come up with any representatives to answer the many questions their announcement failed to address....and they had already noted they would like to get out of the auto business.

Pentax/Hoya had better find a buyer for Pentax, and quickly, as they have stated they desire, or soon end up with nothing to sell. Their Marketing strategy is absolutely pathetic. An apparent winner in the K5, and a botched announcement and non-competitive pricing....a sure way to succeed at failure. Or as they say, snatching failure from the hands of victory......how often do we see that, and it is always disappointing, isn't it?
Best Regards!
Totally agree.

I'm going to shoot my dog in protest.
That'll tell 'em.
09-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #70
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Graham67 Quote
Totally agree.

I'm going to shoot my dog in protest.
That'll tell 'em.
Wow! I love Doggies, and sure didn't mean to cause one harm with my post! Could I offer up old Mr Kitty instead, he is old and he is my wife's cat...and never has liked me very much.....

Doing what he likes to do best.....he knows I love my Squirrels... be sure you take good aim, he is a slippery critter.
09-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Best Regards!
I think that's a bit overboard. You realize that in Japan and France, Pentax's largest markets by far, the pricing is actually as competitive as it can get?

Most stuff I've heard about Hoya selling Pentax has been unnofficial and unsubstantiated. I'm not expecting it to happen soon. I am expecting Pentax to keep getting stronger and stronger as a brand, just as they have been.
09-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Where?

CyberPhoto - Digitalkameror, videokameror och fototillbehör. Personlig service på nätet!

10990:- for the k-5, if you order before the 30th
09-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Yes I have seen it to and it is tempting, but I will wait until the reviews and tests are done. Is shutter blur fixed? Final word on DFS?
09-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shutter blur can only be fixed by removing the shutter. Which is not yet realistic with current technology.
09-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
The K-5 doesn't have a full mag body either. It has a plastic rear panel just like the K-7.

Besides the OP isn't talking about specs, he's asking why in the US market the K-5 is significantly more costly than the competition while in the UK it is not. My only guess is that Pentax has a greater market share in the US than the UK which I find surprising.
what I heard is totally opposite. Somebody told me that why the price of K5 is so high in North America is because Hoya doesn't care about the market here. They dont even bother because they dont have much market share anyway. I am not sure if this is true. I only think it is WRONG.