Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #76
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
what I heard is totally opposite. Somebody told me that why the price of K5 is so high in North America is because Hoya doesn't care about the market here. They dont even bother because they dont have much market share anyway. I am not sure if this is true. I only think it is WRONG.

Now that makes some sense, regrettably. If you drive from New York to Los Angeles and I give you a dollar for every Pentax you find along the way in a retail outlet, when you arrive you may, if very lucky, be able to buy a Starbucks Coffee...if it is a small one.
If that is indeed the truth, it makes me wonder why anyone in America would want to shoot with Pentax? Apparently, not many do anyhow......and if that is true, who can blame them?
Regards!

09-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Now that makes some sense, regrettably. If you drive from New York to Los Angeles and I give you a dollar for every Pentax you find along the way in a retail outlet, when you arrive you may, if very lucky, be able to buy a Starbucks Coffee...if it is a small one.
If that is indeed the truth, it makes me wonder why anyone in America would want to shoot with Pentax? Apparently, not many do anyhow......and if that is true, who can blame them?
Regards!
I dont understand how could any company ever give up north America market. It is stupid. In addition, it is just not fair to all U.S Pentaxians. I hope the final street price won't be that high.
09-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I dont understand how could any company ever give up north America market. It is stupid. In addition, it is just not fair to all U.S Pentaxians. I hope the final street price won't be that high.
Maybe because you are so damned cheap!
Saving ten bucks seem to be a great deal over there!
09-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #79
Veteran Member

The environment in North America is quite different. Internet shopping and very generous (loose) return policy makes it difficult for retail shops to survive plus, people here are still not quite follow the "trend" - there is much resistance here for small/portable DLSR with multi-colour choices. Stupid marketing, may be... but I am not so sure. I will be interested to see how the major makers handle mirrorless cameras with big lenses in the near future. May be we will see inbody SR from them as well - and smaller non-IS/VR lenses.

09-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #80

Official dealer in Romania listed K-5 at 1219 euro body only, 1288 euro with 18-55WR and 1459 euro 18-55 & 50-200 WR (we have VAT 24%)
09-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #81
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Just pre-ordered it in the Netherlands: 1199 euro for body only, wich is 50 euro more then K-7 at start and only 10 euro more then D7000 pre-order at the moment.
09-29-2010, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Doing what he likes to do best.....he knows I love my Squirrels... be sure you take good aim, he is a slippery critter.
Buckshot????

09-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just pre-ordered it in the Netherlands: 1199 euro for body only, wich is 50 euro more then K-7 at start and only 10 euro more then D7000 pre-order at the moment.
Huh? Where????
09-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #84
Pentaxian

French street prices in a Parisian store:

K-5 body only: €1,099 Un produit propos par Photo Saint Charles, votre partenaire photo.

K-5 + 18-55mm WR: €1,159 Un produit propos par Photo Saint Charles, votre partenaire photo.

K-5 + 18-135mm WR: €1,490 Un produit propos par Photo Saint Charles, votre partenaire photo.
09-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #85
Pentaxian

In addition, it is just not fair to all U.S Pentaxians.
Now you know how a considerably large amount of the rest of the world feels.
09-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #86
Forum Member

Somebody told me that why the price of K5 is so high in North America is because Hoya doesn't care about the market here. They dont even bother because they dont have much market share anyway.
Sounds about right. How else can you explain a company spending money, performing continuous R&D and producing products, but not making any effort to actually "sell" the produced items? That's like a bird-house maker who labors to make bird houses only to throw them into the fireplace when finished for heat. No company that I know of would "purposely" do this, so the answer must lie elsewhere.... such as that Pentax IS producing products, but does not really care about selling it to the U.S. market (but obviously cares about selling them to SOMEONE). I only wish I could get a job with Pentax so I could try and figure out what the hell they're doing.
09-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
Sounds about right. How else can you explain a company spending money, performing continuous R&D and producing products, but not making any effort to actually "sell" the produced items? That's like a bird-house maker who labors to make bird houses only to throw them into the fireplace when finished for heat. No company that I know of would "purposely" do this, so the answer must lie elsewhere.... such as that Pentax IS producing products, but does not really care about selling it to the U.S. market (but obviously cares about selling them to SOMEONE). I only wish I could get a job with Pentax so I could try and figure out what the hell they're doing.

Only they would know how many units were sold in North America vs other parts of the world. The market here is different, it is a consumer heaven and manufacturer nightmare. We have so many people trying to take advantage of the system, buy it, don't like it, and return it, no questions asked. I have ordered stuff on "new" item price only to be shipped "returned" products. It may sound stupid... only because we don't understand.
09-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Only they would know how many units were sold in North America vs other parts of the world. The market here is different, it is a consumer heaven and manufacturer nightmare. We have so many people trying to take advantage of the system, buy it, don't like it, and return it, no questions asked. I have ordered stuff on "new" item price only to be shipped "returned" products. It may sound stupid... only because we don't understand.
It seems to me that we want hand built precision off of an automated assembly process price point. It works most of the time, but misses often enough to be a headache.
Other companies have QC complaints as well, but Pentax is certainly not leading the pack or anything, to be sure.
09-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #89
Veteran Member

As I posted in the release thread, I'm quite certain, based on my limited contacts, that Pentax USA doesn't know the real K-5 US price yet. We just have to wait and see what it hits at when it's actually really available.
09-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Too many choices to pick from!!!

For me at introduction the K-5 is too expensive and I want to buy my first DSLR soon!!!
- Should I go for premium priced K-r?
- Or should I go for cheap K-7/K-x and upgrade later?

4 APC Camera's is just too much!!! (at dPreview I read some posts stating both K-x and K-7 won't be phased out soon...)