Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
Dan
Pentaxian

I'm not disappointed!

Even though I have absolutely zero interest in either of the announced lenses (and will NEVER buy a lens without a distance scale), I am not disappointed at all by the announcements. Why? Because the new DC lens seems to contain a replacement technology for the embarrassing, much-maligned SDM!

Based on the patent links that have been posted, the new DC focusing system seems to be a huge improvement. Yes, this is yet to be proved, but I am optimistic. And of course this SDM replacement will not be limited to the lens presented at Photokina; rather, it is certain to appear in future lenses as well.

Since I avoid SDM lenses like the plague that they are, the prospect of a more robust replacement has me quite excited!

Dan

09-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I suspect a DA 400 f/4 DC WR is on the cards....
What is your bet?

Hin
09-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Even though I have absolutely zero interest in either of the announced lenses (and will NEVER buy a lens without a distance scale), I am not disappointed at all by the announcements. Why? Because the new DC lens seems to contain a replacement technology for the embarrassing, much-maligned SDM!

Based on the patent links that have been posted, the new DC focusing system seems to be a huge improvement. Yes, this is yet to be proved, but I am optimistic. And of course this SDM replacement will not be limited to the lens presented at Photokina; rather, it is certain to appear in future lenses as well.

Since I avoid SDM lenses like the plague that they are, the prospect of a more robust replacement has me quite excited!

Dan
Sorry, are you nuts. Their best zoom lens are in 16-50, 50-135, and 60-250. How can you not care about SDM?

Hin
09-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Sorry, are you nuts. Their best zoom lens are in 16-50, 50-135, and 60-250. How can you not care about SDM?

Hin
I do care about SDM! I care about optical quality (which is found in abundance in the lenses you list), but I also care about reliability. Given your recent experience with Pentax repair "service", I would think that you would have some sympathy for this view. Some of us place a high premium on gear that is robust. Most of my Pentax lenses combine superb optics with excellent reliability. The SDM lenses only get the first half of this right. The new DC technology holds the promise of providing the other half. I am not "nuts", just picky!

Dan

09-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I do care about SDM! I care about optical quality (which is found in abundance in the lenses you list), but I also care about reliability. Given your recent experience with Pentax repair "service", I would think that you would have some sympathy for this view. Some of us place a high premium on gear that is robust. Most of my Pentax lenses combine superb optics with excellent reliability. The SDM lenses only get the first half of this right. The new DC technology holds the promise of providing the other half. I am not "nuts", just picky!

Dan
I am with you Dan. I am just being sarcastic as I am leaving Pentax with small steps toward selling 1/2 to 2/3 of my Pentax gear and that includes my most loved zoom with DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. It is a shame that Pentax comes up with DC to hide their failures in SDM.

If a company comes out and make good with their users who really get burned, I will salute to them and forget the past. But until that happens, I am NO longer a Pentax blogger and I am closer than I thought INTO the exit door with Pentax. The K5 don't interest me a single bit. And neither does the DC thingy or the color coded doggy lens.

Hin
09-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
400mm f4 and up please - maybe 200-400mm f4 zoom
I dont think this is gonna to happen.:ugh:
09-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
Dan
Pentaxian

Hin, I feel very badly about how Pentax has treated you. You are a loyal user and your blog is widely followed. It is very short-sighted of Pentax to provide such poor service, to you or any other user. I hope that things change for the better. As things stand, I certainly understand your frustration.

Dan

09-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #23

Dan
you sounded like you have already tried the DC lens. LOL
09-20-2010, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Hin, I feel very badly about how Pentax has treated you. You are a loyal user and your blog is widely followed. It is very short-sighted of Pentax to provide such poor service, to you or any other user. I hope that things change for the better. As things stand, I certainly understand your frustration.

Dan
RH suggested me to contact Ned. I say why? I should not be treated any differently than any other Pentax users. All things considered equal, they just don't stock parts in Pentax USA. I ask the service rep who is responsible for stocking Pentax parts for current bodies as in k7 and k-x, the rep says it is CRIS. I say really. Then what does Pentax USA do for warranty service for K-x and K7 in USA, the rep says and hints to " NOTHING!"

Then I ask why Pentax USA don't stock the parts for K-x that was broken in my camera. The answers go in circle in who is in charge of stocking parts of most current Pentax bodies. I am baffled. It means if you are in warranty service, you may as well buy UP 1 or 2 used k10D and k20d that are priced in $300 range as that will work better to your favor than CRIS and Pentax service. In warranty period, you are VERY much on your own! In my case, my parts were back-ordered from Japan which carry NO ETA. A typical repair in warranty takes 6 to 8 weeks. And if parts are back-ordered, God helps you for that 1-2 months of waiting with NO ETA given.

Thanks,
Hin
09-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 1-year warranty tells me Pentax doesn't believe in SDM either.
09-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Yeah, if these two lenses (even if there is another version of the 35/2.4) are the only ones, then it would be a HUGE disappointment indeed.
I would like to agree but possibly couldn't. Look, guys, Pentax implicitly admitted SDM problems and came up with solution (that of course will need to be tested). This is good news if not for tomorrow but in the reasonably near future. That would be the electronics/mechanics department, so to say. Optically I am as disappointed as you are - IMO neither of these lenses is interesting for photo enthusiast that would seem to be Pentax target crowd...
09-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

If a company comes out and make good with their users who really get burned, I will salute to them and forget the past. But until that happens, I am NO longer a Pentax blogger and I am closer than I thought INTO the exit door with Pentax. The K5 don't interest me a single bit. And neither does the DC thingy or the color coded doggy lens.
I can relate to what you say, Hin. It will be a pity but you're probably right. Personally, I had noticeable increase in subpar gear in my modest endeavors...
09-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

then what does pentax usa do for warranty service for k-x and k7 in usa, the rep says and hints to " nothing!"
omg!
09-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
400mm f4 and up please - maybe 200-400mm f4 zoom
If either of these comes out it will be joining my K5 purchase...
09-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
WR??? If you need WR visibility will most likely be so low that even the DA*300 is useless.
Just two weeks ago I was out in knee deep water at times with loads of dirt and mud around. Not to mention it hailed for around 10 minutes. After that the sky was nice and blue, but WR is pretty much on my required list when considering any lens these days.