Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree about the backward compatibility. Having two systems is a bad idea for a smaller company like Pentax. It would be tragic if they ended up like Olympus.

09-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
I agree about the backward compatibility. Having two systems is a bad idea for a smaller company like Pentax. It would be tragic if they ended up like Olympus.
Seeing as they are looking for investors or a buyer, do you think they would take on a project of that magnitude, though? Perhaps they may start R&D, but I can't see them releasing it.
09-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I'm not good at predicting, but I'd say mirrorless is more likely than full frame, but perhaps that's just me wish projecting.

I think you're right about mirrorless vs FF. Right now, FF is owned by Canon/Nikon, whereas mirrorless is pretty much a level playing field at the moment. Given an even start, Pentax might do very well in a field where they're allowed to play to their strengths of small quality primes combined with solid, weather-resistant bodies, as opposed to the FF niche where they'll have to come up with some product so revolutionary that it will convince Canikon users to sell off their lens collections and jump ship.
09-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couldn't the new DC lens series without screw drive be a good fit with a K-Mount evil? No screw drive needed in the body? SDM, Manual & DC lenses would work as well as DA/FA with manual focus.

09-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Couldn't the new DC lens series without screw drive be a good fit with a K-Mount evil? No screw drive needed in the body? SDM, Manual & DC lenses would work as well as DA/FA with manual focus.
It would still need mechanical control on aperture, so the mount would not be fully electrical as on other mirrorless camera, and the camera would be as bulky as a DSLR. Without support of screw-drive most Pentax AF-lenses would not be supported, and ATM very few budget lenses.

It would be a mirrorless version of Sonys new SLT system cameras. The bad thing is that Pentax K-mount is probably not very well optimized for a mirrorless camera and even SDM-lenses would be quite noisy with CDAF. Maybe the new DC motor is better optimized for this, but I think it would be difficult to optimize the same mount and lenses for both PDAF and CDAF.

Which might make it harder for Pentax to keep up with competition on both DSLR and mirrorless cameras, with a risk of failure on both.
09-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
This is, realistically, what do you think, or what's in the mill for Pentax? What is a feasible path for them to take?
They might start working on a lens bag that can be worn by small dogs. I can see the benefit in having my corgis hauling my gear around for me. Very innovative idea!
09-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
They might start working on a lens bag that can be worn by small dogs. I can see the benefit in having my corgis hauling my gear around for me. Very innovative idea!
A friend of mine made a harness for his D90 for his dog. He'd throw on a wide angle and strap it on and play fetch with his dog while he recorded video. They were quite entertaining to watch.

09-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
A friend of mine made a harness for his D90 for his dog. He'd throw on a wide angle and strap it on and play fetch with his dog while he recorded video. They were quite entertaining to watch.
That would be pretty cool. One time when I was hiking on old rag (in Virginia) I saw a guy with a Australian Shepherd that was carrying a "saddle" with two water bottles...I thought that was pretty nifty.
09-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Another aps-c in the works?

with a DA18-135 WR it would be rather foolish not to release a more entry level DSLR-WR. Ofcourse they have to wait a bit to avoid cometition for the K-5
09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
Forum Member

Question: Why no "WR" primes??
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
Question: Why no "WR" primes??
Ah, good question, I do ave the DA*55 but I think it is too narrow for a lot of my shooting,

Pentax? Where is my DA*30/1.4????
But I am not that picky, a D FA 31/1.8 LE WR would be lovely too....
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Next 12 months

probably:
Pentax DFA 645 28/4 ED AL, Optio W100, Pentax DA55-300 WR

maybe:
Pentax mirrorless camera, 1,4x and 2x teleconverter

what I want:
Optio W-Super with APS_C sensor, fixed 24-50/3,5 lens, sustainable -20 metres underwater
DA* 250-400/5,6 IF-ED DC
09-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Sort out sales and marketing outside of Japan which seem to be erratic to say the least, particularly in the USA.
Roll out the 645D worldwide and supply more lenses and accessories for it.
Get an EVIL camera on the go.
Find a partner or a trade buyer.

Not necessarily in that order
09-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
with a DA18-135 WR it would be rather foolish not to release a more entry level DSLR-WR. Ofcourse they have to wait a bit to avoid cometition for the K-5
As compact as K-x, loaded with K-5 features at which price level?
09-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It would still need mechanical control on aperture, so the mount would not be fully electrical as on other mirrorless camera, and the camera would be as bulky as a DSLR. Without support of screw-drive most Pentax AF-lenses would not be supported, and ATM very few budget lenses.
I think the whole thing is do-able.

Pentax could use micro4/3 and make an adapter with an AF motor & aperture actuator. The Flange on PK is 45.5mm, but only 20mm on micro4/3.... that's plenty of room for it. Make the elelctronics in the adapter smart, so it tricks the body into thinking it has a CDAF lens on it!!

Then Pentax can produce leading edge micro4/3 bodies.

And then the Oly & Panny micro 4/3 users will start buying the adapters along with Pentax lenses!!!!!