Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it would be great idea all manufacturers apart from Pentax drop off APS-C in favour of FF. Oly moves our of DSLR business and continues m4/3, Panny is already there.
And leave APS-C market for Pentax only.

09-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I see a proof-of-concept mirrorless with APS-C.

I see more DAL lenses, especially primes, but not more WR or DA primes.

I see upgraded "pro" DA* lenses with this new DC motor.

The 645D goes worldwide with a couple more lenses.

And......you might see some price drops on glass if the Yen drops.

I hope Pentax buys Fujifilm :-)
09-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Pentax has a 2-body manufacturing setup, and those tend to be updated every 14-18 months, so we probably won't see any new SLRs in the next year. Of course, their compact camera manufacturing could possibly be converted to make mirrorless bodies, which might also explain a lack of lens news from Pentax. Possible, but not probable. When released, though, the new SLRs will probably have re-engineered bodies and all that entails.

More re-hashed lenses are likely, either adding WR (like the kit lenses or like the 100/2.8 macro), or FA-to-DA conversions (like I suspect the 35/2.4 is).

Pentax is releasing solid products, but--645D aside--nothing terribly new. I can't blame them: the products are quality photographic tools, and Pentax doesn't seem to be drawn to whiz-bang features. Whether that means Hoya is milking Pentax dry, developing things behind the curtain, or just playing things conservatively, is uncertain.
09-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #34
emr

I think most posters did not really read the first post. This was not supposed to be a wishlist, but a guess where the company is heading whether we want them or not.

I think that despite the 645D and K-5, Hoya sees the money in colorful low-end. So that's probably where the most new stuff will be (unfortunately). More colorful plastic-mount lenses. More hello-kitty-like P&S cameras. One or two entry-level DSLR zoom lenses with the new DC motor. Two or three good 645 lenses.

09-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
This isn't the, "Hey, Pentax, I want a 400-750mm f2 with IQ equal to an FA31" thread. This is, realistically, what do you think, or what's in the mill for Pentax? What is a feasible path for them to take? Historically, how many lenses or bodies are they putting out per year, and what time of year? Any patterns?

I know that's a lot of hypotheticals; however, I'm trying to get a pulse on what the community truly thinks Pentax's next move is. Whether it is what they desire or not.
GD tethering AND "...a chicken in every pot..." and oh yeah, California Prop 19 to pass because I plan to enjoy the way out the door.
09-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I won't be surprised if cooperation with Samsung will be re-intiated.
09-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #37
Inactive Account

More advertising.

Oh. Wait. "Realistically." My mistake.

09-22-2010, 05:04 AM   #38
Forum Member

Here is what Pentax needs to be working on:

...only taylored to photography equipment!

...alternate view and setup:

09-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #39
Veteran Member

If the K-r is indeed going to phase out the more compact K-x then I expect them to come with a more compact large sensor (system) camera like the Fuji (or expected but delayed GF2), that is mirrorless (LV seems to be good on both K-5 and K-r) with build-in viewer, of course with compatible K-mount.
- Of course also WR and as much features you can dream of...
09-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Pentax, with its small market share, tends to be ultra-conservative. It's not likely they introduce anything that they don't think they can sell. Hence we're not going to see any new expensive speciality lenses, or an FF camera. And I don't think we'll see any more DAL primes, with the possible exception of an APS-C knockoff of the FA 50/2.8 macro (i.e., a DAL 50/3.2), which might make sense since Pentax doesn't offer an inexpensive macro. Rumors circulate of an updated flash — which probably has to be done anyways because of the inadequacy of the current offerings. I suppose there's always a chance that they'll make good on their promise of a "supertelephoto," although that will only happen if they can make a lens that they can sell for less than $1,500 (in other words, don't expect anything longer or faster than 400mm f5.6). There's also a chance we'll finally get that TC promised at Photokina two years ago. But with the bad economy and the rising yen, I wouldn't be expecting too much from Pentax in the next year.
09-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Well, Photokina isn't over but we've yet to see anything resembling a lens road map. The K-5 and K-r certainly seem to be improved cameras but, frankly, we don't really know what direction Pentax wants to go. We're making a bunch of guesses and typing out wish lists. Somehow, I still feel a bit disappointed. But, here's something that is certain: I won't be making any more Pentax camera or lens purchases until I think I have an idea of what the company is doing. As I and others have said numerous times, Pentax doesn't have to produce a line of a dozen cameras and every conceivable lens for each one. And they don't have to produce everything at once. But we'd like to know generally what to expect. Just reading this thread proves that we don't.
09-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yeah a 6 months ahead announcement like Fuji might help Pentax to buy time, but either way they should make up their mind themselves and get as much happy customers as possible.
09-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I like that Pentax is making a market for itself with a set of vivid consumer products. I can't see why they'd stop, now that they're doing it in exclusion of everyone else. I expect more of the same for a while, but the sooner they stop pretending that they're competing with the top three the better.

Realistically, I can see Pentax thriving by identifying markets they want to cater to and then pursuing those to the exclusion of the mainstream. We've heard voices here calling for:
+ a WR/rugged system
+ a system with better manual controls
+ a smaller, possibly premium system (small, uncrippled, awesome)

But the sky's the limit
+ IR body
+ 3-D system
+ normal APS-C DSLR with a magnified EVR
+ etc

It seems to me that one set of bodies and lenses with different refinements could cater to this. As with the new plastic mount being built upon an older design, they could do as the car companies do and build a set of cars upon a set of universal bodies and lenses. A WR set that's built from the same basic design as the set that's got a focus ring with lots of travel and an aperture ring.
09-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I like that Pentax is making a market for itself with a set of vivid consumer products. I can't see why they'd stop, now that they're doing it in exclusion of everyone else. I expect more of the same for a while, but the sooner they stop pretending that they're competing with the top three the better.

Realistically, I can see Pentax thriving by identifying markets they want to cater to and then pursuing those to the exclusion of the mainstream. We've heard voices here calling for:
+ a WR/rugged system
+ a system with better manual controls
+ a smaller, possibly premium system (small, uncrippled, awesome)

But the sky's the limit
+ IR body
+ 3-D system
+ normal APS-C DSLR with a magnified EVR
+ etc

It seems to me that one set of bodies and lenses with different refinements could cater to this. As with the new plastic mount being built upon an older design, they could do as the car companies do and build a set of cars upon a set of universal bodies and lenses. A WR set that's built from the same basic design as the set that's got a focus ring with lots of travel and an aperture ring.
All of this is totally fine... it's as good a strategy as any. Most of us would probably be very comfortable with something like this and could get behind it with some real enthusiasm. But Pentax should tell us what direction they're headed and further indicate if there will be significant camera or lens introductions in the next six months, year, whatever. They don't have to give away all of their secrets.

Right now, I don't know if I should wait for more WR lenses or if they'll ever appear. Is it a good idea to buy a Pentax 12-24, Sigma 8-16 or 10-20... or wait for the Pentax 11-16 that so many of us want? Should I expand on my back-up micro four-thirds system, go for a Fujifilm X100 next year, or wait for a Pentax mirrorless camera? I have an interest in collecting DA Limited primes... but if Pentax is going to produce a premium mirrorless camera with high-quality primes for it, it might alter my plans - unless the DA Limiteds will work on it. And they should just come out and say - clearly - if a FF camera is in the works. Just say it. And if it's not, they should just say that, too.

Pentax needs to end its silence and indicate to the faithful what's doing on without giving away so many details that it might hurt them competitively. On the other hand, even if they gave away all of their product plans, it might not make a difference because, as uccemebug says, Pentax isn't really competing with the CaNikon complex annyway.
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Pentax made many things fine this time. An good update of the successful kx: more colors, a colorful lens, aa-batteries. No pro DSLR, but maybe a good money maker!

And they gave us good update of the not so successful k7: better sensor, better af with a great all-day-zoom 18-135 mm. And they tried a new motor concept DC instead SDM.

Also don't forget the huge success of the new 645D and the lens 50 mm f2.8 AW (all weather). New AW lenses will coming for this system.

Pentax realized THREE concepts which might be very successful. So what do you want more?! I also wish a bigger lens sortiment (some WR limited), but all things need time. It needs amazing computer-calculations for a new lens concept. Its no work of days or weeks. Its a work of months!