Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #61
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I think you are asking/expecting way too much from Pentax, or from most other corporations. It is simply not a good idea to give away plans which may or may not work out. Will Apple tell us ahead what we can expect in iPhone 5 or confirm/deny that a new iPad version will be released before the end of the year? NO!

Product planning / release (e.g. new lenses) can be affected by many things like market condition, and also the sales success of K-r and K-5. We have witnessed product listed in previous road map that got shelved (e.g. SDM teleconvertor), and products not listed got released. And announcing a new camera system (be it mirrorless or FF), for example, with no details, no specs, and no pricing ('cos they wouldn't know themselves) can kill current camera sales.

I don't think Pentax, nor any other large company, would do what you want.
I understand your point but here's where I'm coming from: Pentax really isn't a big company anymore - certainly not its camera division. And, whether it knows it or not, it's not truly competing head-to-head with Canon and Nikon anymore - and hasn't in a while. It's really a niche company. As such, they need to give us some more information.

Stuff like, will there be EVIL camera in 2010? If not, how about 2011? Knowing at least this much for sure is worth something to Pentaxians who'd like to continue supporting the company. Not some coded remark like "If we produce such a camera we would like it to be unique."

Also, Pentax has had lens road maps in the past and there is no reason they can't publish one again. There is far more to be gained than lost by such an excercise. Right now, there are Pentaxians who are thinking about leaving the brand because they're not getting enough information on this front. And I strongly suspect that anything Pentax puts in a lens roadmap will already exist (or something close to it) in the lineups of the big boys. That's how badly Pentax has allowed its lens system to erode in recent years. If Pentaxians aren't convinced this situation will be fixed, at least some are likley to move to other systems.

09-26-2010, 04:40 AM   #62
Veteran Member

No FF, so K-mount is prio 1, even if EVIL will come?
09-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #63
Site Supporter

i'm kinda disappointed at how pentax presented itself this photokina.
yes, the kr, k5, 35mm and 18-135 are nice, but really, not one zip about their future plans.

many folks say that when you buy, you buy into a system, not just a body or lens. i think this is very true.

i guess what i'm saying is if you want to move up, there's really nothing that pentax can offer at this point save the 645D.

information from pentax this photokina has left me with more questions than answers.
sigh!
09-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Pentax has an opportunity to excel in the aps-c dslr market.. complete the DA* line update current DA*s with the new DC AF drive. Only after some new DA*s are on the table.. like a
DA* 20mm f2 DA* 11-16mm f2.8 DA* 250-500 f5.6... Update the flash system.. With Olympus going mirror less.. Pentax could pick up some of it's users who like small DSLR bodies with small high quality optics..

Last edited by Adrian Owerko; 09-29-2010 at 11:56 PM.