Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Realistically........what's next?

This isn't the, "Hey, Pentax, I want a 400-750mm f2 with IQ equal to an FA31" thread. This is, realistically, what do you think, or what's in the mill for Pentax? What is a feasible path for them to take? Historically, how many lenses or bodies are they putting out per year, and what time of year? Any patterns?

I know that's a lot of hypotheticals; however, I'm trying to get a pulse on what the community truly thinks Pentax's next move is. Whether it is what they desire or not.

09-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Probably some P&S.

Maybe some renewed lens. Kit lens already has 4 version (DA, DA II, DA WR, DA-L). Some other lenses have been around for a long time. If they sell good and are not redundant they might get newer version. Lenses that sell bad (17-70?) might get discontinued. Lenses that sell bad and overlap might get merged into something new (or replaced by).

I expect some loss or change at the wide end - DA15, DA14, DA 12-24, DA21... DA 16-45? something might happen over there.

Now if we have one new DA-L at focal length of one current DALtd and FA, maybe some other DA-L's will appear at other useful focal lengths, but very unlikely. Normal (~50mm equiv.) FL needs a prime, it's useful for everyone. Other FL's have need by more serious enthusiasts, that can and would afford DA/DA*/DA-Ltd in the FL they use and require.

Wasn't there some zoom for 645D in road-map?
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I guess the K5 will become the last pro model with APS-C sensor. New lenses which will come are more and more FF compatible. There will be new lenses for the 645D, for example the 28 mm, which you can see here.

www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/lens/roadmap.pdf

A flash with WR would also make sense.
09-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

We still have the rumored new flash coming. And I suppose at this point it's not IF we will have an EVIL-type camera but when. If it has a k-mount, I'm probably in (as a third body).

09-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
. . . . . . . I'm trying to get a pulse on what the community truly thinks Pentax's next move is. Whether it is what they desire or not.
An interesting question, Rory.

I have no idea what Pentax's next tactical move will be in terms of products, but last year Hoya's CEO told us very clearly the company's strategic direction for Pentax: since Hoya's camera operations are - in leadership's view - unsustainably small long term, Pentax will first concentrate on making the business profitable then work to secure a partner or (recently according to Citi) find a buyer for the camera division.

It may be that the next new vision for Pentax products won't appear until that partnership (or sale) is complete. We'll see; at least we live in interesting times.

Jer
09-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Personally, I would like to see SDM 2 lenses.

I had one SDM lens and was not impressed with it and it eventually failed although it was quite a bit better when repaired. Given my experience of USM and SDM, SDM is definitely not up there with rival manufacturers' silent focus mechanisms.
09-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think their next big push might well be in EVIL cameras where their experience in building very small, very high quality primes gives them a bit of an edge over other brands.

09-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think their next big push might well be in EVIL cameras where their experience in building very small, very high quality primes gives them a bit of an edge over other brands.

I'm not good at predicting, but I'd say mirrorless is more likely than full frame, but perhaps that's just me wish projecting. I hope mirrorless for me and full frame for all the other members of the forum.
09-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
An interesting question, Rory.

I have no idea what Pentax's next tactical move will be in terms of products, but last year Hoya's CEO told us very clearly the company's strategic direction for Pentax: since Hoya's camera operations are - in leadership's view - unsustainably small long term, Pentax will first concentrate on making the business profitable then work to secure a partner or (recently according to Citi) find a buyer for the camera division.

It may be that the next new vision for Pentax products won't appear until that partnership (or sale) is complete. We'll see; at least we live in interesting times.

Jer
That's interesting. So do you think that a cost cutting prime, and, in some peoples opinion, a simple re-vamp to K7/Kx is reflected by this? The Cubs spent a lot of money up until they The Tribune decided to sell, and then the signings stopped. Just curious if the minimal "ooooh....aaaaaah" releases are a reflection of an upcoming sale/merger.
09-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Inactive Account

a 645 to k mount adapter that connects electronically.

I wish.
09-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prox-iee Quote
a 645 to k mount adapter that connects electronically.

I wish.
I said realistic.
09-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If the 18-135 has a new and better SDM (if!), that might end up in the older, troublesome SDM lenses. An EVIL-type camera seems inevitable. And of course, in 12 to 18 months time we'll get a new batch of APS-C cameras.
09-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

New lenses primes and zooms, non-buggy zooms
09-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
... An EVIL-type camera seems inevitable...
Any new lenses for a EVIL camera will have to be CDAF optimized. I don't know that the current lenses will work very well with it.

Also, once pentax goes EVIL it'll only be a few years and then their DSLRs will be dead. Olympus just announced the end of 4/3 lens development and acknowledged that the e-5 was more of a polite gesture towards die hard Oly fans than anything. They said that next year they will introduce a Pro-level m4/3 camera.

With the pressure building with the Sony and Samsung EVILs Pentax has got to come around and embrace it (we as Pentax users need to as well). Where Oly tends to be way ahead of the curve (often times to far ahead) Pentax seems to lag. Hope that changes.
09-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Every customer / company plays the game different
- Camera bodies come and go more frequently compared to lenses
- EVILs should be backward compatible with their lenses