Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #76

Pentax needs to put it in the hands of the users, whatever it takes. Right now, in NYC, I NEVER see other Pentax DSLRs in the wild. And they don't sell enough P & Ss to offset that.

09-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Simply put - right now, there is zero indication as to what actual street price is going to be, and B&H/Ado pricing these cameras at MSRP says one of two things:

1) Pentax is going to do strict MSRP enforcement that will kill them in the market at the current MSRP. We haven't seen evidence of this, only of doing strict MSRP enforcement on advertised prices. (which is why nearly all of Pentax's products right now have that "put in cart for the real price" blurbs at B&H, Adorama, and Amazon)

2) We're so early in the game that B&H and Ado don't even know what their costs (and hence profit margin at or below MSRP) are going to be.
=======================================

Entropy - I'm certain you NAILED it. Pentax is of course entitled to charge WHATEVER they believe the consumer will bear. The consumer is also entitled to simply REFUSE whatever Pentax is assuming that amount will be.

It is early, but in terms of product-to-market time, we're talking less than 30 days here. It would serve Pentax-Hoya well to proceed with caution. If they err, and don't err on the side of the consumer, I predict a backlash, even among Pentax loyalists. Those among us who can pay the full retail tag are not nearly as many as Pentax may think, as evidenced in the tremendous economic downturn in every market.

I've stayed loyal to Pentax for over three decades, and every five years or so have found pleasant surprises in terms of performance/price ratio coming out of the Pentax goodie basket.

I'm not getting that 'warm fuzzy' feeling I always had in the past that Pentax would come through for me. I suspect this is largely due to the impact of Hoya taking over Pentax.

I hope I'm wrong.

JMO
09-28-2010, 03:59 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
(which is why nearly all of Pentax's products right now have that "put in cart for the real price" blurbs at B&H, Adorama, and Amazon)
I noticed that too. Now I am browsing B&H and I notice that other brands have it as well, so far seen with Canon, casio and Fuji. Odd about casio, they have a certain modell with that tag and the next one is same modell in different colour.
Oh wait, hasselblad does not have that tag.
Nikon has it on a few models as well, (D700, D3000, D300s)