Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe the surprise comes when someone actually uses the camera.

You know, you push the AF button and a magical genie pops out of the lens and grants you 3 wishes.
---------

No, seriously, I was just referring to the surprise being IQ.

09-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Maybe the surprise comes when someone actually uses the camera.

You know, you push the AF button and a magical genie pops out of the lens and grants you 3 wishes.
---------

No, seriously, I was just referring to the surprise being IQ.
Based on past posts, way before K-5 rumors that is, the number 1 and 2 criticism were high ISO and AF, (or was that the other way round?) number 3 was size, there were people who though K-7 too small. There were even people stating they'd gladly pay more for high iso and/or improved AF.
I am surprised that (if all works well) Pentax dealt with two out of three.

The most surprisng part is that all points of criticism now relate to things that were way down the list of Pentax gripes. maye not for a few shooters but if you think back, it was almost all about AF and high ISO. Pentax has listened but they can't solve all in one body in one step.
09-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Let's wait and see what high ISO will be like and how much the AF improvement is. The specs don't really show this, so there is still some potential for surprise in these areas... Not that I know, but let's wait for the first results before judging...

Wim
09-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Let's wait and see what high ISO will be like and how much the AF improvement is. The specs don't really show this, so there is still some potential for surprise in these areas... Not that I know, but let's wait for the first results before judging...

Wim

Doing what everybody's doing is not a surprise even if you haven't done it, form my point of view.

09-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
Doing what everybody's doing is not a surprise even if you haven't done it, form my point of view.
it is with Pentax
09-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #21
ibk
Forum Member

Where is the surprise?

You'll see the surprise when you compare high ISO shots from K-5 to high ISO shots from current FF cameras of other companies. Better/same with N* D700 and C*5D2.
That's quite a surprise at least for me.

The structure of the noise is very fine, like film grain and not like the noise we've seen so far by any Pentax camera.
09-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ibk Quote
Where is the surprise?

You'll see the surprise when you compare high ISO shots from K-5 to high ISO shots from current FF cameras of other companies. Better/same with N* D700 and C*5D2.
That's quite a surprise at least for me.

The structure of the noise is very fine, like film grain and not like the noise we've seen so far by any Pentax camera.

I can't accept "you'll see", unless you have touched and have first hand pics to convince me about the grain.

09-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #23
Banned

The suprise is I prefer 1536x1024 @30 fps from my K-7 than 1920x1080 @25 fps from the K-5. How stupid is that Pentax when 24 and 30fps is what most use here in the US.
09-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't be surprised if ISO 3200 or even 6400 were usable on the K-5- i.e. around ISO 800 quality on the K-7.

The improved AF is also a real plus, but I guess that doesn't look as good on paper as it will in practice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The D700 can "almost" be persuaded to shoot ISO6400 as clean as ISO100.
Personally... if the K-5 can do this, I would be amazed.

But I'd be more than happy with an ISO3200 that is as good as ISO100 tbh.
Didn't you forget the smileys, some newbie might take it seriously
09-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
I could recall some guy promised a surprise.
Is there any surprise that there was no surprise? Hype! Hype! Hype! Every single time.
09-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Didn't you forget the smileys, some newbie might take it seriously
You're correct, I actually meant ISO200

Having said that, it is somewhat unbelievable, however.... one of my favorite examples(taken long ago) are the following D700 ISO200 and ISO6400 100% crops.
Granted... the visible grain in the shadow regions are a give away as to which is which, however... in print... both images are for a better lack of terms, indistinguishable.

D700, ISO6400, 100% CROP

D700, ISO200, 100% CROP

This is mainly what compelled me to get a D700 in the first place.
But all things being fair, if the K-5 can pull this off at ISO3200. I would be a very happy camper myself.
And if(by chance) it exceeds that, then I will be shocked!

<(extra smilies just in case )

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-21-2010 at 07:16 AM.
09-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Based on past posts, way before K-5 rumors that is, the number 1 and 2 criticism were high ISO and AF, (or was that the other way round?) number 3 was size, there were people who though K-7 too small. There were even people stating they'd gladly pay more for high iso and/or improved AF.
I am surprised that (if all works well) Pentax dealt with two out of three.

The most surprisng part is that all points of criticism now relate to things that were way down the list of Pentax gripes. maye not for a few shooters but if you think back, it was almost all about AF and high ISO. Pentax has listened but they can't solve all in one body in one step.
I asked/wanted faster and more precise AF; I believe this just might be what I asked for.
According to a recent video on LV-AF, the K5 is very fast. Hopefully the trend continues with the "regular" AF, especially in AF-C.

I wanted higher ISO performance; we will have to wait for real tests/reviews, but I am almost convinced that this will be the case.

As for the other specs, I couldn't care or less as long as Pentax has finally produced what we wanted the most: fast/accurate AF and better handling of high ISO images.

JP
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #29
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
I guess they were talking about 51200 iso. Pentax borke a record, did they? However, I care more about if the iso 3200 is is usable than useless 51200 on paper.
I don't know if 51200 will be any good, more of a gimmick, But I would sure like to see good LOW LIGHT photos at 25600
09-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

any dynamic range surprise ?
Still looking for a reason to upgrade the K100D
Pete