Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
main problem is

they haven't sent me one for the lawnower SR test.

09-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #77

Could not resist :-)

Lawnowner....
09-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I've never heard of the lawnbowler test!
09-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #79

Photos: Albums
I've never seen people show so much hate for a product that hasn't been released yet.

09-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The only *potential* weaknesses I see are:

1. Possibility that SR blur (cf. Falk's lengthy post earlier this year) hasn't been solved
2. Possibility that AF still isn't up to snuff.
3. Possibility that the reach for high ISO has hurt the base ISO IQ (though the D7000 would presumably have the same problem)

The rest looks great. I love my K-7 beyond those first two issues.

There are too many armchair economists/marketing experts here and not enough photographers.
I'm no economist or marketing expert. But a blind monkey on a rope could out do what the people in Golden have been doing the past few years. They do keep the Web Site up to date and I commend them for that. However, regional marketing doesn't exist. When I say regional, I mean metro Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale-Miami, Tampa-St Pete-Clearwater, Jacksonville, Nashville, D.C. area. I'm sure they are sucking wind in the Pacific Northwest, NorCal and Socal, St. Louis, K.C., Chicago as well. I realize money is an issue, but they could "Dare to be Different." This internet reports are the only way 95% of us know what the hell is going on with Pentax. Between PMA and Photokina, Ned has been hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa.
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #81
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
To me it sounds like what Pentax decided to do was take the K-7 and fix all weaknesses fixable with buying a new sensor developed by someone else (Sony in this case) and putting it in the K-5. They haven't really listened to users by adding things that were NOT in the K-7 into the K-5.

Here's what we asked for from Pentax:

1. Manual video controls - not here
2. Video AF - not sure if its here but they didn't say it's here
3. A digital level that can be user calibrated - not here
4. 1/250 flash sync which is industry standard - not here
5. Better AF tracking - maybe but no mention of predictive AF so not keeping my hopes up
The K-5's designed to be a dSLR first, video camera distant second.
For your points above, I'm sure others would agree with me that:
1. Don't really care about
2. Couldn't care less about
3. What for?
4. Irrelevant and insignificant difference
5. Likely this has been addressed - cf. youtube video at start

QuoteQuote:
Here's what Pentax fixed using Sony's sensor:

1. Sub-par high ISO performance - fixed with Sony's sensor
2. Sub-par dynamic range - fixed with Sony's sensor
3. Higher fps (not a K-7 weakness) - provided by Sony's sensor
4. 14 bit raw (12 bit is really fine) - provided by Sony's sensor
5. 1080p video at 24 fps - provided by Sony's sensor
And these improvements:
1. A welcome change
2. Another welcome change
3. Yet another welcome change (but needed more buffer to last longer than an 8 RAW burst)
4. Who knows what real-life difference this will make?
5. Don't care too much but good to tack onto the video capabilities already there

QuoteQuote:
I dislike the K-5 because they're not pushing the bar with it like they did with the K-7. The K-7 was not the perfect camera minus a good sensor. It was a camera with a lot of useful nifty features minus a good sensor. Well it's a year later and the competition now have all these useful nifty features, good sensors, and even newer useful nifty features. We are getting now what should and could have been provided one year ago.
The K-7 wasn't exactly a breakthrough in high ISO performance or fps rate when it came out. The heart of the camera, the sensor, was barely an improvement from the K20D for still photography. Again, you and others are saying how uninspired you are with Pentax products but don't switch over to the brands that do impress you?
09-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #82
Inactive Account

I think I would classify myself as already on the harbor, ready to jump ship.

I take it then that you are one of those people who are perfectly happy with a "fixed" K-7. Well I'd just like to point out that "fixing" a released product does not show dedication from your company. Improving a released product does. Well here we all got a fixed K-7 so Pentax is done? They can just keep producing this one forever now and there only market will be people who break their existing K-5. Pentax won't last long if they ran on that principle.

09-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #83
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
I think I would classify myself as already on the harbor, ready to jump ship.

I take it then that you are one of those people who are perfectly happy with a "fixed" K-7. Well I'd just like to point out that "fixing" a released product does not show dedication from your company. Improving a released product does. Well here we all got a fixed K-7 so Pentax is done? They can just keep producing this one forever now and there only market will be people who break their existing K-5. Pentax won't last long if they ran on that principle.
What did they do, exactly, to fix the sensor in the K-7 or the AF? That's rhetorical. Its a completely different sensor and af system. It is going to have to go through the paces in the hands of objective people to find out.
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #84
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Let's move this discussion over to here, for the sake of consistency: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/115060-official-pe...ng-thread.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread