Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #46
Veteran Member

that's really impressive, I didn't expect that.
not useful for me but impressive nonetheless

10-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #47
raz

Here is another live view and focus, this time the focus lock seems even faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUzRgQPkI_s&feature=youtu.be&a
10-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
From the information we know, AF is not available in video

And I think it's a shame, if Contrast AF is so fast with the K5 - then at least we could have an option, burried deep in menu, better than none. Even if it's slow, noisy compared to a video camera - I would very much want an AF while filming.

From what I remember, K7 had AF in video in the pre-producation, but they removed it in the final version because they said it was to slow.
Yes, I was thinking if they have got the Live View AF THAT smooth and fast, they are already most of the way there to having Video AF.....
Why didn't Pentax make that final push to make it to Video AF. ?.... I guess Pentax still thinks of it as a Still photo camera with a bit of video capability.

The reality in the marketplace is dSLRs are being heavily used for short to moderate length videos.
10-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here is another live view and focus, this time the focus lock seems even faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUzRgQPkI_s&feature=youtu.be&a
Wow that is fast and in low light too!
To bad it has to flip the mirror in the process, because most critical shots don't hold very long.
But I'm truly impressed with the quality of the LV AF in low light as shown here.
This is going to do wonders for AF TC users!

10-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #50
Forum Member

The K5 needs AF in video to compete with the D7000. These tweaks + a $400 price drop will be needed otherwise their market will be restricted to Pentax users. If I were coming new to the DSLR market I would be choosing the D7000 over the K5 in terms of both features and price...
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Braddokovik Quote
The K5 needs AF in video to compete with the D7000. These tweaks + a $400 price drop will be needed otherwise their market will be restricted to Pentax users. If I were coming new to the DSLR market I would be choosing the D7000 over the K5 in terms of both features and price...
Im going to have to disagree.... all it needs IMO is manual control in video (WTF pentax? Really is it that hard to give us something so simple that EVERY OTHER BRAND HAS? Granted I shoot ZERO video, but still come on)
10-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #52
Forum Member

Ah ok... so manual control in video is ANOTHER feature that the pentax doesn't have which more established brands have at a lower price point...

AF in video is a no brainer if technically feasible (seems as though it is from evidence on this post).

Last edited by Braddokovik; 10-12-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: typo...
10-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Actually, there is good reason to beleive the K-5 will be in a class in itself insofar as image quality goes amongst the 16MP variants. However, we won't really know for sure until all units are tested thoroughly.

However, if my findings are true, then I think Pentax will have maintained it's commitment as an imaging company and those who will their homework will recognize this when they come to make a purchase.

The bottom line is, I don't think anyone's going to bother trying to sell a D7000 over a K-5 based on the fact that they have the same sensor. Which must be true as even the Nikoninans stopped saying it when the D7000 ISO6400 RAW samples came around. At which point some began questioning why they didn't look as good as the K-5 samples(Pentax mojo?).

Either way, I wouldn't get too hung-up on price at this stage.
Especially considering the K-5/D7000 price difference isn't the same everywhere.
10-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #54

Amazing! This is lightyears faster than LV auto focus on my K-x. Cannot wait to get my hands on it/for the prices to drop some. In the meantime, my K-x will have to do.
10-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Strange thing is, both the k-5 and the d7000 got the same msrp in japan, there home market. How can the d7000 then be so much cheaper? Translated yen -> dollar gives a price around $1700
How big loss or how close to $0 profit do they make per body sold?
10-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great for off center dominant subject matter. Looks really good.
10-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Strange thing is, both the k-5 and the d7000 got the same msrp in japan, there home market. How can the d7000 then be so much cheaper? Translated yen -> dollar gives a price around $1700
How big loss or how close to $0 profit do they make per body sold?
In the past, the way of life in the USA was always financed by other countries. That's why you could buy cheap gas-guzzling SUV's. But the world order and the financial climate has changed... Now that the importance of the USA has diminished, you can expect to pay the same as the rest of the world. However, Nikon clearly wants to stay competitive in the USA market and is willing to sell at a loss, something Hoya is not keen to do. Now, let's see what's better in the long run: getting a good profit or maintaining the brand name in a diminishing market?

(Based on the worldwide SLR sales -of all brands combined- the USA is not important anymore. Europe is a much bigger market and Asia even more so).
10-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Ah ok... so manual control in video is ANOTHER feature that the pentax doesn't have which more established brands have at a lower price point...

AF in video is a no brainer if technically feasible (seems as though it is from evidence on this post).
Although it is fast, it leaves a bit to be desired by enthusiasts as it still does the focus past it, go back, and then lock.

Check out the new panosonic's CDAF.
10-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Wow that is fast and in low light too!
To bad it has to flip the mirror in the process, because most critical shots don't hold very long.
But I'm truly impressed with the quality of the LV AF in low light as shown here.
This is going to do wonders for AF TC users!
Do you mean such as the AF-A 1.7x Pentax adapter?

JP
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Hahahaha. That oms hell of a resolution camera if they were able to print of of a reflection of a reflection of a raindrop of a reflection of a reflection!

Makes me think of SuperTroopers...

Enhance. Enhance. Enhance..... Enhance.
Oh, just print the damn thing!

Last edited by FullertonImages; 10-15-2010 at 11:16 AM.