Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-5 Photographer Test Reviews - Do they exist

So ok it's only been a day but it seems as if pentax only okay the specs yesterday.

Its been a pretty poor launch so far. Lots of spec confusions. Not many samples. Not many answers.

Where's the info regarding pentax's future direction?

and lastly if this thing is to ship in october then surely they should've had it out in the hands of some pro pentax shooters?

Learn from nikon and canon. It's fairly easy marketing and it wouldn't cost that much.

Give someone a new camera and lenses before a release date and get them to produce a short video and some images.

Maybe a travel photographer or an outdoors photographer etc.

09-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree.
I hope Pentax will get it together next year and see to it that they have some half decent press release footage.
09-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Last I heard

V 0.10 Firmware atm. No one should post images until v 1.0 which will take a while.

Last time K-7 reviewers were prematurely posting with Beta FW well before v1.0 was released and which gave the false impression that the camera was poor in I.Q. anyone who releases images with beta will look mighty foolish unless beta is explained as preliminary, and even then, they should wait to v1.0 anyway imo.

patience
09-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't mind waiting it just seems a bit of a missed opportunity

09-22-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Anyone who says they have a review out now on the K-5 should be shot.
09-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

update FW v 0.30/prototype camera

Falk Lumo said yesterday on his iso 6400 shot at photokina:
DISCLAIMER: This is from firmware version 0.30 and from a prototype camera. Don't draw final conclusions from this sample. However, changes in the firmware make RAW files differ less in final versions than JPEG files.
09-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photos can't be posted by people owning pre-release bodies, so you won't be seeing much except for the photokina photos until the real production model is out.

As a reminder, PF is getting a copy as soon as it's available!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that I didn't see that much difference between the preproduction K7 photos and the production model photos. It is adequate for my needs, but definitely a little weak on the high iso side. Looks to me like the K5 will definitely be a significant improvement over the K7 in most areas that count to me. Sounds like the final specs have been a little in flux (since the D7000 announcement?) and hence the confusing release.
09-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
PF is getting a copy as soon as it's available
A request: please test difference in AFC between Focus priority and fps priority keeper number with someone running straight at you. Thanks.
09-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've contacted Pentax USA to request a K-5 for review. We'll see what they say...or if they even get back to me

09-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #11

It would be nice to see some sample pictures with the new lenses.
You can stick them on any of the current bodies.
Seems a odd to announce a lens then have to wait until it hits the shops before you see any sample images. ( Unless it's no good of course.....)
09-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I guess we all have to be a patient...sort of hard, isn't it!

I have always thought that Pentax could get the most benefit from a new release by giving all the technical information, releasing tons of sample photos, and announcing that the camera was in stock and ready to ship immediately. It would be a jump on the competition, and since many buyers are "impulse" buyers, sales would get a quick boost from those that might not buy later on. If I headed their marketing, I would do it!
Regards!
09-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I've contacted Pentax USA to request a K-5 for review.
Could you please also ask them to let you do the official introduction video for the next Pentax camera?

The effort for the K-5 doesn't quite cut the mustard...
09-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I guess we all have to be a patient...sort of hard, isn't it!

I have always thought that Pentax could get the most benefit from a new release by giving all the technical information, releasing tons of sample photos, and announcing that the camera was in stock and ready to ship immediately.
You want all this from a company that sticks 2 employees in a broom cupboard and then tells them to make a video about their new flagship camera while giving them all the wrong specifications.
09-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
You want all this from a company that sticks 2 employees in a broom cupboard and then tells them to make a video about their new flagship camera while giving them all the wrong specifications.