Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Thanks for the tips. What software do you use to take said dark frame and apply it to the actual photos?

People in the local astronomy club do a lot of stacking as apposed to long exposure stuff. I have not done anything except standard tripod photos of short exposures. I can't seem to justify the cost of a earth rotation tracking mount. :ugh:
Here is a neat program for stacking (and it's free to boot!)

DeepSkyStacker - Free

10-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tips. What software do you use to take said dark frame and apply it to the actual photos?
I use ufraw for all of my raw processing, and it has a built-in dark frame subtraction option.

UFRaw - User Guide
10-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #33
Veteran Member

People in the local astronomy club do a lot of stacking as apposed to long exposure stuff. I have not done anything except standard tripod photos of short exposures. I can't seem to justify the cost of a earth rotation tracking mount. :ugh:
I use a free tool called Registax RegiStax- Free image processing software, which I also use for stacking long exposures (usually never less than 5 min each)
10-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #34

hi guys. The answer is here:
Falk Lumo -- Pentax K-5 hands-on preview

see the point 10.5

10-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yup, this really makes me want to get the K5.
11-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
hi guys. The answer is here:
Falk Lumo -- Pentax K-5 hands-on preview

see the point 10.5
The quote is:
"10.5 Bulb mode and DFS

DFS (Dark frame subtraction aka Long exposure noise reduction) can now be switched off even for bulb mode (exposures longer than 30s). I made a test with a 66s exposure at ISO 1600 and the image displayed immediately and the camera was ready again -- without a delay (firmware 0.30). ISO 1600 is the highest ISO setting for bulb mode. This is no limitation for raw shooting though because higher ISO are made in camera from ISO 1600 by exposure boost post processing; something easily done in the raw converter as well."

Thank you but...

Note the firmware version. This is not a production version number.

Once again, can someone please confirm whether or not DFS can be disabled in the production model?
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The K-5 manual says Slow-Shutter NR can be completely turned Off (no extra caveats like on the K-7).

A friend who just purchased a unit tried Bulb mode at 2 minutes , and confirmed no Forced NR (the LCD screen came back immediately and the photo taken appeared on the Instant Review).

The next full moon is on November 21st.

I hope my K-5 gets delivered by then....then I can go and have some fun with Bulb-mode.
Right now I only have an order acknowledgement from the dealer with no commited delivery date

Last edited by kittykat46; 11-02-2010 at 01:04 AM.
11-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

I hope my K-5 gets delivered by then....then I can go and have some fun with Bulb-mode.
Right now I only have an order acknowledgement from the dealer with no commited delivery date
Did you mean the new moon on Nov 5-6? You don't need Bulb mode and certainly no NR when exposures for a Full moon are typically 1/250th and faster.
11-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JackBak Quote
Did you mean the new moon on Nov 5-6? You don't need Bulb mode and certainly no NR when exposures for a Full moon are typically 1/250th and faster.
Oh...I'm a terrestial Bulb Mode user, not an astrographer

I use the light of the full moon to for scenery shots. Really cool, out where there are no city lights.

Anything more than a half moon works, but its nicest with a full moon.
11-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #40
Forum Member

Gotcha, I have shot a few of those night shots as well, but almost all night shots for me are astro shots. I can't wait to get my hands on the K-5.
11-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JackBak Quote
Thought thé samebut figured it out
11-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Samples shpts on long exposures?

Since it can be turned off i'm assuming Pentax dubs it acceptable on the sensor heat.

So does anyone have any sample shots? say 1minute , 2min, 5 and maybe even 10?

I thought i have decided to go Nikon because of Pentax's failure in a lot of areas like this and noise performance but this camera is looking like a decent one.
11-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mortox Quote
Since it can be turned off i'm assuming Pentax dubs it acceptable on the sensor heat.

I thought i have decided to go Nikon because of Pentax's failure in a lot of areas like this and noise performance but this camera is looking like a decent one.
At hand-held shutter speeds, the K-5's Noise Control looks like the top of the class for APS-C

Actually, there was nothing wrong at all with the K-7 at lower ISOs - I've taken a lot of clean long exposure shots with the K-7 - it always forced DFS, of course.

For long exposures on the K-5, we'll have to see...but I'm pretty confident it will turn out well.
I'll likely get delivery end next week. I'll try out long exposures once I'm through with the "normal" shots.

I usually work with 2-5 minute exposures, since I'm mainly a moon-light scenery taker, not an astrographer.
11-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mortox Quote

Well the good thing is that Pentax got wise and dumped that terrible Samsung sensor that was used on both the K20D (my current model) and the K7 (the reason why I did not upgrade).

Here is to hoping!

Attention K5 owners.... can someone please post some non-DFS long exposures. I suggest 1, 2, 5, and 10 minutes at ISO 400/800 is good enough. But I shall be most grateful for anything past 1 minute in very low light at ISO 800.

Consider it a service to Pentax, I am holding off my purchase until I see what long exposure noise looks like.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :-)
11-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The K-5 manual says Slow-Shutter NR can be completely turned Off (no extra caveats like on the K-7).

A friend who just purchased a unit tried Bulb mode at 2 minutes , and confirmed no Forced NR (the LCD screen came back immediately and the photo taken appeared on the Instant Review).

Kittykat... you just made my day even better with this confirmation!

Thank you! :-)

BTW, How much did you pay? Thus far, I have only seen Adorama's outrageous $1599 USD without lens.