Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well now we know what Olympus is up to.

Olympus E-1 successor on 17th October: Digital Photography Review

Pentax are you listening? Do we have an answer?

09-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am much much more interested in what sony is up to... (not that i would ever consider buying a sony dSLR). They should be announcing some news about those bodies they showed under glass quite some time ago.
09-05-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

I share and's point of view. There is bigger threat from Sony in my opinion, than from 4/3 system of Olympus. So let's wait what Sony will do...
09-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #4

The biggest threat to Pentax is Pentax itself. Lenses not in stock, DA* lenses having real problems with focusing on k10d. We dont need more bodies yet, we need much more lenses to be available. I am not going to lie, it would be nice to hear about new bodies with k-mount but at present we need lenses and more reliability.

09-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Lenses are indeed what I want to find out about. An updated roadmap with dates and prices for the DA*200/2.8, DA*300/4 and DA*60-250/4 at least.

Olympus is too much of a niche player, that's true. Any Sony may be closer in specs to Pentax. But Olympus remains a photography name much more than Sony is, so it might actually be an alternative to Pentax for more photography aware people than Sony is.

Wim
09-05-2007, 05:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
The biggest threat to Pentax is Pentax itself. Lenses not in stock, DA* lenses having real problems with focusing on k10d. We dont need more bodies yet, we need much more lenses to be available. I am not going to lie, it would be nice to hear about new bodies with k-mount but at present we need lenses and more reliability.
I agree with you there and I haven't even bought a Pentax camera yet!

As I have had to wait even longer to get a K10D I keep an eye on lens availability and it looks a little better now than it did earlier in the summer (50mm f/1.4 appear to be plentiful now at B&H) for some lenses but some of the old FA's don't seem to be as numerous as they used to be. When I do get a my camera and get my 50, I'm sure I'll want something to go with it. Zoom, macros, wides - depending on what sort of photography suits me, I just hope what I'll want will be available... and at a decent price.
09-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Lenses are indeed what I want to find out about. An updated roadmap with dates and prices for the DA*200/2.8, DA*300/4 and DA*60-250/4 at least.

Olympus is too much of a niche player, that's true. Any Sony may be closer in specs to Pentax. But Olympus remains a photography name much more than Sony is, so it might actually be an alternative to Pentax for more photography aware people than Sony is.

Wim
I concur! I put $1600 CDN down on the two DA* lenses in March and the latest word is expect delivery at the end of September ...not happy about that. From the marketing PR point they need to keep up with the crowd on new camera intro's, but they also need to ramp up production of the lenses on the road map.
09-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

Wim
I agree with the lenses issue, though it's not a big problem for me since I'm on really tight budget
Regarding sony: ok, we can say Olympus is more of photography name, but then isn't sony based on Minolta/Konica Minolta?!? If and the lens mount is compatible with old lenses or not? I don't think Oly's 4/3 is compatible with old glass. So for loyal Minolta (KM) user, Sony is better option and there are some old lenses out there...

09-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #9

Sony Flash ad on Sony UK site is good. Have a look.
09-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

IMO the only thing that the new Oly has that the K10d doesn't is the higher frame rate (and that amazing 7-14 lens but that is another thread)

Admittedly Olympus lenses are more available at least here in Canada but they are far more expensive.
09-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Amazing 7-14mm ? If my math is ok, it means about 14-28mm on 35mm body.

If it is rectilinear then cool but at that focal length (IMO) rectilinear sucks.
If it is Fish-eye, the DA 10-17 is just as good and the rectiliner 12-24 isn't that far away.
09-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
IMO the only thing that the new Oly has that the K10d doesn't is the higher frame rate
Also live view (some folks like it) and probably stronger construction (not saying that the K10d is not well built, just that the Oly is IMO likely to be stronger).

Plus, we can't tell a lot from that link, so I think I'll wait to see what it actually has before saying the K10d is still just as good

Last edited by ZaphodB; 09-05-2007 at 12:20 PM.
09-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #13

Sony's new A700 DSLR looks to be nearly identical to the D300.

Pentax has got to have something up their sleeve, not that I'll buy it but I want more people to come to Pentax so we can have a better chance of getting our equipment supplied.

SLC
09-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skamaraju Quote
Sony Flash ad on Sony UK site is good. Have a look.
didn't find it

QuoteOriginally posted by SLC Flyfishing Quote
Sony's new A700 DSLR looks to be nearly identical to the D300.

Pentax has got to have something up their sleeve, not that I'll buy it but I want more people to come to Pentax so we can have a better chance of getting our equipment supplied.

SLC
Well, let's see how close to D300 it'll be, but the specs look impressive nontheless...
I really hope Petnax have something up their sleeve...
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Olympus cameras are excellent. Back when I was in college they were the first with in camera spot metering; in photo class we were amazed playing with it.

When I was dslr shopping it came down to Olympus and Pentax. Haunting photo forums I chose Olympus due to consistently impressive photos people were posting. Unfortunately, Olympus view finder sucks and Pentax ergonomics are excellent. 4/3 system makes a lot of sense, and when one is in comparative shopping mode, comparing attributes, realizing Leitz adopted the 4/3 format was very convincing, and still is.