Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm! Benjikan, would be nice toi hear from you now!

Mike Johnston over at T.O.P. is hinting of another "major announcement from a major manufacturer" within the next few days. Wonder if he means Sony, or maybe—Pentax? Benjikan has been VERY quiet the last couple of weeks and I remember him saying something exciting would be coming from Pentax this month.
So what gives Benjikan? Do we expect something exciting pretty soon from Pentax, or go on yawning and turning green with envy at the news from the canikon juggernaut? Heck, even OLYMPUS is giving us new, good stuff! A pro friend of mine who shoots Pentax says that Pentax PR has been VERY unresponsive of late; maybe that's because they're busy preparing press kits for something new? It would be nice to here from someone who has a REAL insider knowledge of what's going on!
Rob W

09-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO, we haven't seen whatever it was that Benjikan was alluding to several weeks ago. Maybe the product isn't ready yet or perhaps the recent announcements by other camera manufacturers have forced Pentax to delay their new offerings a bit until the furor dies down.
09-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Inactive Account

it has been more talk on various photography forums speculating the release of a new pentax body in the past month than you can shake a stick at! i would like to think there is some truth to it all because im very curious to see what pentax has to put up against Nikon and Canon... I dont know when there will be a new body out... but i have a feeling its going to be pretty sweet... most buzz says its 12mp or more... but you know how rumors are! i guess we will just have to wait and see lol.... ..... Hurry up Pentax!!
09-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Personally, I think the deafening "sound of silence" from Pentax to its pro users is an indicator that SOMETHING is up—and soon! At least, that's my hope! A 12mp upgrade of the K10D (K12D?) with speed and AF improvements would be SWEET and the release of the often-delayed 645D would be even sweeter! I'd drool all over myself and it'd have me down at the local bank on my knees begging for a loan to buy it with some of the new lenses!
("Honey? where's the cookie jar with that rainy day money you've been saving?") *o)

09-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

I believe benji was talking about october last time he posted one of his vague hints
09-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #6

Or did Mike Johnston mean new SOny alpha 700? Its Flash ad on Sony UK site is good.
09-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The latest hints dropped from someone to be in the know and at the lunches (not Benji this time) said we should be expecting the new body in the new year. So the next few days is really not very likely at all.

Any references to announcements within the next few days is probably regarding Sony, not Pentax.

09-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
The latest hints dropped from someone to be in the know and at the lunches (not Benji this time) said we should be expecting the new body in the new year. So the next few days is really not very likely at all.

Any references to announcements within the next few days is probably regarding Sony, not Pentax.
Could most likely be correct since, unfortunately, few consider Pentax a major manufacturer. Maybe Samsung (not).
09-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Expect the new body next year, probably mid or later... since when I mentioned I would be waiting for it for my upgrade, the guy I talked to told me to get the K10D now since it's still quite the wait...(I'm using a K100D...) Oh, and it won't be called the K1D...

BTW: the 645D will take longer than expected, apparently it was the pet project of a former head honcho in Pentax, but when he got axed, the project got sidelined as well...
09-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
Mike Johnston over at T.O.P. is hinting of another "major announcement from a major manufacturer" within the next few days. Wonder if he means Sony, or maybe—Pentax? Benjikan has been VERY quiet the last couple of weeks and I remember him saying something exciting would be coming from Pentax this month.
So what gives Benjikan? Do we expect something exciting pretty soon from Pentax, or go on yawning and turning green with envy at the news from the canikon juggernaut? Heck, even OLYMPUS is giving us new, good stuff! A pro friend of mine who shoots Pentax says that Pentax PR has been VERY unresponsive of late; maybe that's because they're busy preparing press kits for something new? It would be nice to here from someone who has a REAL insider knowledge of what's going on!
Rob W
it was sony, sony a700
09-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote

The alledged K1D was rumoured to be released early next year.

The K10D replacement was rumoured to be released this year. And benjikan keeps mumbling about October so we will have to see!
09-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I am not Ben, but here is an educated guess from existing info and "specs" that currently exist.
I have compiled realistic possabilities from the popularity of technology (Live view, WiFi etc), Pentax history of thinking, and available products (chips)
Also remember the K100D Super just came out, so that end of the market is gone for pentax till next year

645D, Who Knows?

K1?D (PRO 35mm-ish DSLR)
Next year at PMA Announced, Sale by fall (hopefully)
12mp max 1.3xcrop, but probaly 1.5X, (sim to the D2X chip)
5-8FPS (High-Speed Crop mode??) RAW Buffer 20-30
ISO 100-3200, poss 6400 (H1, user setting)
Liveview??
3"LCD
SR in body
Sealed body
CF+SD support??
WiFi built In, or in transmitter (grip??)
K10-ish body and grip config (I do not think they will do an integrated grip-body yet, maybe for the K2D (the second gen)
$1500-2000

K20D (or K15D) The K10D successor
This Fall??? or PMA next year with spring/summer on sale
10mp (D200 chip)
4-5fps RAW buffer of 12-16
ISO 100-3200
3"LCD
SR in body
WiFi???
Sealed Body
Existing K10D body and grip w/ mods
$7-800

K100D super is already out but...
K200D for PMA next year (if so no K15/20D at PMA)
10mp (K10D chip)
2.5-3fps RAW buffer 6-8
ISO 100-1600 User set 3200
2.5"LCD
SR in body
Use AA in grip only, Use K10D battery in body
K100D body (mod) (no sealing)
$5-600

K1000D (next summer)
(A mod of the K100D super, but cheaper)
Comes with new 17-700ish lens thats on the road map
$350-450

I honestly do not see huge tech leaps, and NO FF at all for a few more years for PK. I see them beating the competition with bodies that are priced and feature right like the K10D has done
I know many of you want this, but fact is look at the past to see their future. Unless Hoya really does something, I do not see much changing right now.
I do hope to see more glass, Tell-glass announced this year for a Spring/summer sale
09-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Expect the new body next year, probably mid or later...
So, can we at least expect firmware updates for the current K10D possibly adding functionality, and IQ improvements (JPG or RAW) based on new improved algorithms?

Or is anything further in firmware on the current K10D considered a dead issue?
09-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Well said Mutley.

New body middle of next year or later?...

... hmmm... ok then...

... I take it that Pentax will be using the time between now and then to release a whole raft of new (roadmapped?) lenses, and releasing firmware that improves the abilities of their existing bodies for example allowing the K10D to go to ISO 3200 or above and keep noise low?

... right?...

Clearly Pentax won't be resting on their laurels, and know exactly what they're doing. We know this... we don't know why we know this... maybe we just hope it's true... but we know it, right?

09-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well... Benjamin does have his press release:
Ben in Paris

No new products but he did produce one...

Wim