Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
So wait are these sensors better then the K-5's?
A lot of factors need to be considered when declaring one sensor better than the other, but one thing we can say about this sensor (if we believe Aptina's numbers in that video) is that the sensor's dynamic range is 13-14 stops, similar to the K-5's sensor.

In any case, I think it's good to have another player in the APS-C sensor segment. I'm also happy Foveon finally put out a 1.5 crop high MP sensor too, although it's unlikely we'll see it in cameras other than Sigma's.

11-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
although it's unlikely we'll see it in cameras other than Sigma's.
It'll go the way of EAX and PhysX in computer gaming...
11-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
one thing we can say about this sensor (if we believe Aptina's numbers in that video) is that the sensor's dynamic range is 13-14 stops, similar to the K-5's sensor.
I've yet to find a DR claim from Aptina. The video shows scene DR, not what the sensor captures.

The material I see describes an idea. I see a certain potential that an actual implementation would ruin the party. The idea basically applies below ISO 100 and has a yet unkown impact at ISO 100 and above. They have to produce silicon and publish real measurements before I consider them serious.

The part is currently listed as "sampling" and unlike similiar spec sheets, e.g., from Kodak, http://www.aptina.com/products/image_sensors/mt9h004/#overview does not quote any SNR figures at all...

Last edited by falconeye; 11-22-2010 at 10:10 AM.
11-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I think it would work great in a Pentax mirrorless APS-C camera like the Sony NEX.
k-rumors | Blog | (K4) Pentax mirrorless camera to be announced in February 2011!

11-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I've yet to find a DR claim from Aptina. The video shows scene DR, not what the sensor captures.

Aptina Imaging does not quote any SNR figures at all...
The blog article states SNR 47dB and the video shows a scene DR of 71db.
Doing a log_10->log_2 conversion gives a DR of 15.6EV and 23.5EV.
(disclaimer: I'm not sure that's a completely valid conversion...)
11-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Beau Quote
The blog article states SNR 47dB and the video shows a scene DR of 71db.
Doing a log_10->log_2 conversion gives a DR of 15.6EV and 23.5EV.
(disclaimer: I'm not sure that's a completely valid conversion...)
The SNR at bright white is meaningless as it is dominated by shot noise. BTW, K-5 has 44.7 dB (measured and only 2.3 dB less than the Aptina specification value). BTW, 47 dB are 7.8 EV and doesn't convert into a DR value.

What we need is SNR at low light, like 0.1%.

I've seen the 71 dB comment in the video. However, it is only meant to illustrate that high dynamic range occurs in real scenes. It describes the challenge, not the solution.

I repeat my statement: So far, Aptina provides no evidence to make me believe their sensor will outperform the competition.